Vanderbilt University Reviews

1,172 reviews
The university offers so much to the students: professors are truly approachable, great mentors throughout campus, resources for student showcases, and administration is receptive to student needs. However, the culture is very demanding, expecting students to excel in all areas - academics, campus life, leadership, services, physical fitness, and social life. Can make it very difficult to take a break.
I really enjoy my time currently at Vanderbilt University because there are a variety of activities to get involved with. All the people here are super nice while the professors seem to be interested in their subjects of teaching as well. Plus we're in Nashville where the food is great.
I finished my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering Department at Vanderbilt University in 2017. Vanderbilt University provides me excellent opportunity to be a professional engineer right now. I am very happy to be Vanderbilt Member and never forget this times in my life.
Start Your Review of Vanderbilt University
Vandy is a great rising star in the world of elite colleges. It still retains a lot of its individual character as an SEC school with a thriving social scene in Nashville which is also growing a lot. At the same time, the academic competitiveness is rising which sometimes conflicts with the non-academic aspects of the university and poses a challenge to administrators.
For graduate school, Vanderbilt is a top University that will give you excellent training, education, and professors.
Incredible experience with down to earth, nice peers and a work hard/play hard mentality. Attending Vanderbilt Undergrad was the best choice I ever made.
I see Vanderbilt as a place that encourages people to define themselves ahead of their future. Hence, it is a haven for prolific athletes, ingenious scientists, brilliant engineers and creative entrepreneurs. It is also work hard-play hard environment which makes it one of the most relaxing colleges.
It is an amazing place for people to explore different opportunities in life. I also love it because it has a great atmosphere for relaxing and hanging out with friends.
I like it a lot. The school is hard but it is cooperative and the teachers are generally really qualified and it's not like other hard schools where there is no social life. Truly work hard play hard.
In the heart of Nashville, nice architecture, beautiful campus. Go to SATCO if you are ever near the area.
Vanderbilt has so many opportunities. It is harder to do nothing than to have something to do. If you want to be challenged and pushed in ways you didn't think you could be pushed, then Vanderbilt is the school is for you. If you are looking for an easy A, then Vanderbilt is not the school for you.
My sister studies there. She says that it is a great place to learn, where students tend to work hard and play hard. The campus is beautiful-- although the freshman dorms are across the street on the school of education campus instead of main campus.
All round terrific college, definitely the best in Tennessee, rivals a lot of the Ivies. Awesome place.
I loved the community and support from faculty and staff. The smaller class sizes really allow your professors to get to know you, and if you put in the effort, you will have a great experience here.
I absolutely love my school. From the social atmosphere to the unparalleled academics, it's been a dream come true. Teachers are highly involved and classes sizes are kept on the smaller side.
Vandy is great for finding a place for everyone to fit in. There are so many groups and organizations to participate in. There is a high fitness culture on campus that can make it seem like a sin to engage in greasy chicken wings from the pub, but nobody will judge you to your face. The campus is large and pretty, but be prepared to walk. I repeat, NOT CAR FRIENDLY!
I have loved every year I spent at Vanderbilt. My professor were amazing and engaging, I did not take a single boring class. I have found life long friends at Vanderbilt and also very much enjoyed the social scene of Nashville and the Vanderbilt campus itself. I learned more over the past four years than I have in my entire life. The classes and professors at Vanderbilt made me excited to learn and more interested in subjects I once found mundane.
Start Your Review of Vanderbilt University
As a grad student in IGP, I find my classmates in general two groups: either very bright and willing to share ideas (collaborative) or just in grad school to postpone finding a job (and party) but don't want to be scientists. There are many intellectuals in the faculty, but you have to find them in the right class. Some are just focused on trying to be landlords or working with big biotech companies. The undergrads are not very future-driven and their party atmosphere revolves around frats and getting slammed drunk. I have even seen my peers who are advanced MDPhD students, get incoherently drunk, and hope they will stop when they see patients. Postdocs, too. Basically, there is a huge drinking culture, little diversity compared to Stanford, but Nashville is enjoyable.
The freshman experience is completely unique and unparalleled, in my opinion. The support provided by VUceptors and House events makes the transition a lot easier. Classes are rigorous, but I love the majority of professors I've had so far! Having Nashville as a stomping ground is wonderful as well.
While Vanderbilt may be extremely challenging academically, the students who contribute to the student life and the city Nashville truly make for a great college experience.