Valparaiso University Reviews

1,007 reviews
I love Valparaiso University! It’s a small school with a great community backing you. Most of the teachers are there for you, trying their all to get you ready for the real world. The only down side is the cost. It starts out cheap and gets more and more expensive as you go through your undergrad experience. Otherwise, it’s a beautiful campus and great place to learn!
I absolutely loved the school aspect of Valpo. Professors were excellent, class sizes were small. As a freshman without a car, you're pretty much stuck on campus for most of the year. Downtown Valpo is small yet super cute, but a lot of it is also pretty expensive for a college student. As for athletics, my teammates and I had a lot of issues with the coaching staff among other things, so that could've been better. I still love the school.
I love how many activities go on throughout the week. There is always something to do! There are also so many resources available to ensure student success.
Start Your Review of Valparaiso University
Valpo is a safe community statistically speaking. Valpo city police, Porter County, and VUPD are very present and make sure the environment is safe.
I am a fraternity member. This is not a state school, so don't expect state school Greek life. But, for the size of this school, it does go above and beyond as far as expectations. Do not come here thinking you can blow off school and not go to class. Most everyone here cares extremely about their grades and were good and accelerated students in high school. You make your own fun and get what you put in. Pretty much a small private school in Northwest Indiana. It offers the academics of larger schools and is extremely reputable. Outside of class, everyone is obsessed with Valparaiso Basketball.
Valpo is a nice, small community with great people and opportunities. The curriculum is much more fast-paced than most other schools within the state.
The campus is beautiful, the people are lovely, and overall I feel confident in my decision here! The only negative experience that has occurred here was my friend needed medical assistance and she did not receive the best help. They accidentally disclosed her medical information to student and they did not give her roundabout transportation to the doctor.
Valparaiso University is a very beautiful place. Walking on campus is always nice because of the beautiful scenery. Walking to classes is never too far because of the smaller size of the campus. And although the campus is small it seems big enough. Living on campus is nice if you're not in the freshmen dorms(Lank, Alumni, Brandt) even though Brandt has recently been renovated. Otherwise, Valpo has beautiful newly renovated halls to live in like Beacon, Uptown, & Promenade.
Everyone is very friendly, and the professors are very helpful and dedicated to their work. I love how beautiful the campus is. There are lots of clubs to join, and lots of opportunities to go to research presentations or other events to gain more knowledge that you can apply to life. Overall, I'm so glad I chose Valpo, it's the perfect fit for me.
The professors are typically great and very knowledgeable as well as caring. They ask about your personal well being and class sizes are small enough to foster relationships between professors and students.
One thing I struggle with here is the lack of diversity and open mindedness. I hope that in my time here, I can help improve these issues. The university is religiously affiliated however, it could be more welcoming to everyone like it advertises.
I love this school! The people are sooo welcoming and very friendly. Always a friendly face no matter where you turn. The campus is beautiful looks clean and professional. I am majoring in nursing and the building is amazing! The simulation rooms and so realistic and very hands on allowing for the best real world connections to be made
I love Valparaiso University! All the professors I have had so far really want to see me succeed and the community is very welcoming.
Valparaiso University is a very welcoming and enjoyable place to receive a great education. The professors truly care about the students and the material they are teaching. I struggled while trying to decide where to attend college, but I am so glad I chose Valparaiso. I know I will accomplish my goals here while meeting amazing people and having amazing opportunities.
Valparaiso University is a very welcoming and diverse school. Classes themselves vary with a great mix of upperclassmen and freshmen. There are many opportunities to meet new people, pursue personal interests, and experience different activities.
I came to Valpo university unsure of the whole college thing. I didn't know if college was right for me but that changed as soon as i got here. The community of valpo is super friendly and makes you feel at home immediately. The comfort I've felt here has allowed me to succeed as a student and citizen.
I felt very welcomed coming to Valparaiso University. There are a lot of events in which a student can become involved and clubs in which students can participate. There are comedy shows to see, concerts to listen to, and games to be hyped about. As an engineer major, the classes are challenging and the work can be overwhelming if you don't stay on task and study. There are plenty of resources that help with tutoring and finding a job.
Valparaiso is an amazing university, due to the fact that there are so many options given to students and many resources. There are many jobs a student can apply for on campus, scholarships, people to talk to for anything, fun opportunities, food places around the campus, etc. The classes are small, which gives personal attention to students when needed. Student counselors are usually available to talk to the students and have flexible office hours.
My experience at the university has made me experience school, friends and professors differently for the better. Being at Valpo, I've thought about my life and who I want to become. I currently major in criminology to learn more about the problems of the world, many kinds of people and where we go wrong as humans. Also, learn about the role of higher government with law enforcement. Valpo is challenging me and making me enjoy ever challenge everyday.
Valparaiso is a smaller school, but it is no less valuable than larger schools. Valparaiso's key goal for students is to help you reach your full potential and help you build a strong foundation before entering "the real world". Apart from Valpo's extensive academic course selection catalogue, they have many courses, clubs and organizations that help it's students learn about different religions and cultures, become better students as well as better people overall and prepare for life after graduation. Everyone on campus is friendly and helpful. This is an amazing university to attend if you value community, family and religion.
Start Your Review of Valparaiso University
I really like my first year at Valporaiso University. It is very different from high school. I have met alot of new people from all over, and tried alot of new things. I really like the option to be a commuter student, so that I can save money on living expenses.
The school is nice but is limited on specialized programs. Lots of free stuff if you look for it and nice activities. Core class taken freshman year is a waste of time. OMP is pretty cool and open but I wish more people on campus came. Needs more diversity or people to unite together instead of being so cliquey. It's a small school in a small but amazing city; there are a lot of things to do.
I am a commuter and don't spend much time on campus but as a local i can tell you the surrounding area is amazing. it has the best downtown just down the road and is a 1 hr train ride or bus ride from Chicago.