University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Reviews

2,996 reviews
Beautiful school with a lot of opportunities. Many clubs, volunteer activities, jobs, sports, and great resources. The campus is very well laid out having many buildings close to each other making it easy to walk from class to class in any type of weather. Students are welcoming and the student body is very diverse which can be a great experience for individuals who may have grown up in a less diverse population. Many of the professors are willing to help and have interesting personalities. Campus is centered nearby many attractions such as Lake Michigan as well as many different businesses and restaurants. It is easy to get out and explore the city because of public transportation that is easily accessible right off campus as well as the school provides a transportation service at night to keep students safe and shuttles to get students around campus during the day and night. Overall the campus is safe and full of a lot of different opportunities.
When I first toured here the students were very respectful and kind towards my group and me. They answered any questions we had and were willing to help us with our college experience the best possible. The sports teams are fun to watch and show good sportsmanship. I am glad I got to to feel this campus out.
I do like the "free" commute to school via the MCTS. What I did not like about the program that I was in at the time, Bachelor of Science, it did not feel like a lot of hands on work for me to understand the body like I should have. I have heard that since then it has changed and became more of using the labs in real life experience.
Start Your Review of University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
UWM is a great school located in the city which offers many activities to do. Decently sized and lots of diversity.
UW-Milwaukee is a large university where many students often just go to school and just leave. One of the things that UW-Milwaukee should try to offer is more opportunities to lower incomes or make the resources more known. In my experience, UW-Milwaukee hasn't been that pleasant for me because of my mental illness. However, friends of mine actually enjoye the fact that its in downtown and everything is around.
UWM is a very open and diverse campus where practically everyone can find a place. There are many options to help students succeed in their goals.
I am enjoying my time at UWM. The professors are very good. Student life is fun and there is always something to do. The only thing I don’t like about UWM is that they have direct admit for students coming from outside schools but actual uwm students do not have direct admit and there are very limited spots available.
I have only had one semester of classes at this university but overall I would rate this experience as average. I had 5 classes and none of them were that difficult. The students mostly keep to themselves and there is not a lot of socializing. One of my teachers also constantly stated that we deserved a better teacher and he was not good at teaching the material.
My experience with UWM has been fantastic. I'm in the Peck school of Arts and I've had little to no problems. The advising is great and really helps to figure out what classes to take. The professors have all been super helpful and understanding too.
Academics is disappointing (BUS.) The professors are 10+ years behind the industry. Ad-junct professors are afraid to grade seriously in fear of criticism. No professors stand out as astonishing but rather mediocre and a forgettable experience. The business school’s tenured professors lack of modern experience. Their partnership with SAP means you will be forced to learn SAP software, which is known for being bad. Don’t expect this to be good resume material.

Lack of competence and hidden costs leave a negative impression. You will be charged for anything and everything. Transportation is like the DMV but run by children with a god-complex. They are rude, unprofessional and will treat people as if they are nothing. If you get a parking ticket and try to appeal, you will be denied -- there is no forgiveness for mistakes or accidents.

I would recommend alternatives if you're able too. A degree from here is not a good ROI. Consider other universities for better professors/programs.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a great educational institution that I would recommend to many people especially those types of people who are looking for a fun, diverse and safe place to receive an education. I've only been at UWM for one semester and I already feel as if there isn't another college that I would want to get receive a degree from. UWM just gives me a feeling of family, community and joy that I've never felt before. UWM has great classroom environments, and they have great tutoring opportunities that helps as well as prepares me for my classes. I love UWM.
I took a tour there last year when I was looking for colleges to apply to. The tour was very well informed and really solidified by choice to apply there. I really liked the way the dorms were set up and all the opportunities for things to do to meet new people.
I love how inviting the campus is and how there are several different opportunities for internships and careers after college in the big city where it is located!
I visited the campus last year during my junior year of high school. I was a great experience and they made me feel awesome and at home while I was there. Prior to visiting the campus, I had received information in the mail about it and it made me want to learn more about it. I had already been given information by people who previously attended the university and I liked what I heard. The people at the college seems really passionate about the welfare of their community as well as their environment. They are one of the few schools that have included almost everything I want in a college someday. Every time I am near the institution I witness the improvements they implement to change their school for the better.
I went to UW-Milwaukee for a meeting and also a tour which was a pretty good experience for me. I saw how students are so independent that makes me nervous if I ever going to be like that because I'm a very dependent person. But at the same times this help me understand and prepare for my future that I need to relied on myself more. I really like the campus because right away I can sense all the friendly people due to their expression and the environment was just great. Also I really like it when I saw a lot of other ethnic too because I love colleges that are diversity since it makes me feel like I can fit in well. I wouldn't change anything about this because I really like this school and hope to get into it soon!
Professor look for you to succeed and want you to do well. Most professor will make time for you outside of their office hours if necessary. Campus is safe and diverse and easy to walk around. Students are open-minded and culturally accepting.
I really like how many services the university offers and how open and by how kind and open the people who run those services are (faculty and students). As a freshman, I would love to see the orientation made a little smoother, especially when it comes to choosing classes - the advisor helping me choose my classes was not the advisor for my major and I was put into some of the wrong classes. Additionally, I would love more information on student organizations outside of resident life. I have lots of information on how to get involved in my planning dorm activities, but nothing related to my major or hobbies.
Start Your Review of University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
The academics are very solid, which is the main plus.

The university itself is a mixed bag. It is in the process of transforming itself from a commuter campus into a flagship UW four-year like Madison, LaCrosse, or Eau Claire.

Campus life is more often than not lacking. Fraternity life, if you're interested in that kind of thing, has been up and down since the late '00s. Many of the undergraduate dormitories are nowhere near each other (one, in particular is halfway across town in a completely different neighborhood). Student groups certainly exist, but many are small and suffer from lack of interest. Sports exist, but aren’t talked about, as UWM hasn’t had a football team since the 1970s.

If you want to attend college in an underrated, up-and-coming Midwestern city, this is the place for you. If you want the “college experience” in a college town with the frat houses and the football team, this isn’t a good fit.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It has been such a great experience here. I have made so many new friends. The classes are great, and I learn lots from them. The teachers are great in both teaching and being available for students that need help. Their resources for students success are great. They offer tutoring in many subjects. The advisors have been great in helping me plan my classes and being ready.