University of Virginia Reviews

2,018 reviews
I never thought that I would love college this much! The University of Virginia is AMAZING. I have learned a great deal from each of my professors. (I recommend using ratemyprofessor and thecourseform to help you choose them). I actually enjoy going to classes that aren't based on regurgitating information but processing it and actually learning. Additionally, with thousands of clubs, there are plenty of ways to get involved. On another note, there are many stereotypes of people who come to the University, but I promise that not all of us are preppy, rich, and white, though a good portion is. The only problems I have with UVA are the prices of tuition and the honor code. Tuition is expensive and instead of giving grants UVA sometimes gives a lot of loans. Although I love the honor code and what it stands for, it seems to target minorities and foreign students.
I am an above average student and I wish they offered more merit scholarships. I do not qualify for the TOP and only merit scholarship. They need more mreit scholarships.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Review University of Virginia
Overall, the experience has been pleasant. UVa has a rich history and a tradition that many alumni are very proud of. While its not really my cup of tea, I can at least sit back and amuse myself with the peppy (almost douchey) vibe of the campus. I think the school offers a lot of opportunities for people who are looking for it, but it requires the students to be proactive. Professors are knowledgeable but their ability to really get through to the students is suspect (as is the case in most campuses in America these days). Other than that, the school itself is a wonderful experience. UVa athletic events are enjoyable, the social/Greek life is pretty big, and there are quite a bit of things to do throughout "grounds." Definitely takes time to get used to but the school and its quirky atmosphere grows on you.
Despite a distinct arrogance that carries pervasively throughout the faculty and the majority of rich students, this is an incredible place. The University's reputation and academic rigor are such that anyone admitted to this school should seriously consider attending. The academics are beyond excellent for the price if you are a Virginia resident.
The generalizations about all the snobs and rich kids is very real at UVA. Lots of annoying traditions and niches based on socioeconomic upbringing. The good part about the university is if you can find like minded anti-tradition poor kids like yourself to relate to and make close bonds with. In terms of the actual education, it is very fast paced but equally manageable!
The University of Virginia is exceptional when it comes to academics and extracurriculars. Many clubs and UVA events are student run, thus students gain a lot of experience in leadership, job skills, and an overall sense of responsibility and independence. There are also many jobs and internship opportunities offered. Such an academic environment can foster large amounts of stress and competition between students. Hence, the University of Virginia offers free counseling and support within the community. As affordable as this school is, tuition and school costs can be a lot for the average family. The University is continuously working on relations between minorities and those from all walks of life. Nonetheless, this is an area that still needs work.
The University of Virginia offers a great college experience. Students here are definitely driven and care a lot about their academics. Therefore, you are constantly surrounded by people that actually care about major issues in numerous fields. That being said, students are very involved and it can be sometimes overwhelming being surrounded by peers that are constantly working and achieving. However, students here know how to strike the balance between working hard and also having fun at the same time. UVA is definitely a very social school as well and the opportunities for socializing, no matter your scene are in abundance.
I came into UVA not liking it at all. But going through it for 2 years now, I have really come to appreciate and love it. I don't think that I can see myself anywhere else now. I think even in the midst of the challenging academics, constant construction, and even the subpar dining food, UVA really has a lot to offer. Most professors really care about what they are teaching and want their students to learn as much as possible. The school has a long story of history that is intricately sewn into every aspect of its everyday life. Every building comes with halls and halls of stories. But most importantly for me, I have gotten the chance to meet and befriend people who are have become so crucial in my life. I thank the school for bringing people together, so that not only can we find success through the education it provided, but people to share that with.
The Graduate Nursing School is fantastic, and the community of students and faculty is wonderfully inviting and supportive.
UVa has an amazing campus, and the history of the school is very rich. There are a wide variety of classes and majors to enroll in, giving you plenty of opportunities.
UVA is nestled in the beautiful town of Charlottesville, which is renowned for its horses, wine, food, and the arts. Thomas Jefferson created the university with this intent of furthering education and stressed that no one is a senior in their learning. UVA is reaped with history and tradition, which permeate into the culture of the school. Academics is paramount, but actively participating in activities and events is highly encouraged. Once you attend, you are immediately a part of the UVA family, which provides you with an incredible network.
Hands down the best school in the country--unbeatable academics, amazing athletics, unrivaled party-scene, and perfect college town. Why go anywhere else?
The community is very tight-knit. It lets you know about upcoming opportunities, when people are getting together, and so forth. The professors are all very enthusiastic about the their job, and I enjoy learning from them!
When I visited the campus of the University of Virginia I was overwhelmed by it's beauty and great building. Walking thru some of the building where Thomas Jefferson walked was so inspiring. The atmosphere and the student body was very diverse. The curriculum offered many different degree and certifications. I'm interested in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resource Management. The standard are of the highest I have seen so far. I'm am excited about my future.
UVA is a school I never imagined myself attending (I imagined I would be at Swarthmore or a similar liberal arts college). There are over 4,000 undergrads in each class, and accounting for graduate students, there are over 20,000 students. Don't let that turn you away–the large number just means that there are that many potential friends. Even if you don't like most people, you'll meet people here who will inspire and care for you in a way that will make you call the University home.
Grounds is beautiful and the history of the campus is reflected in both the architecture as well as the university's principles. The honor system that is utilized here speaks to the integrity of the students, faculty, and the general community. One critique I'd have as a minority is the....well, lack of minority students. Generally, that's what one might expect when they enroll in the university, but it becomes more apparent the more time one spends on Grounds. However, the university- its student body, particularly - is working to address that, and the minority organizations are always coming together to share dialogue and to bring an even greater sense of community at the school. The faculty is respectful, respectable, and I've generally enjoyed interacting with individuals at U.Va. and in Charlottesville.
Review University of Virginia
The University of Virginia is an all around great school. The buildings are aesthetically brilliant, and nothing is ever too far. Charlottesville is such a beautiful area. From its plentiful trees and rolling hills, everything is so tranquil. A view of the fog-covered mountains is always just a couple minutes away.

The area may be great, but an area itself does not make a good University. My academic experience thus far has been filled with amazing teachers, and lessons. The curriculum is on point, and a majority of the professors are brilliant (the ones who aren't are easy to avoid).

In addition to the curriculum, I find the culture of the school to be incredibly unique and diverse. Of the myriad of clubs and organizations on Grounds, it is easy to find somewhere you belong. Sure, there are several groups that are exclusive, and several people that I would not be sad not to see again, but they are few and far between. Once you find your niche, this place really is home.
This university is a hub for activity and knowledge. Making school not only fun, but interesting and often time innovative, University of Virginia is the school for the strong academic mind who likes to have fun.
I moved to Virginia in 2007, I have always known I wanted my future to involve a career in medicine, just like my mom. UVA has been my dream school since I first found out it existed and I've never heard a negative remark about UVA.