COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
The University of Vermont is closed currently for visitors through the spring semester. We’ve enacted strict policies to keep our students and community safe. We offer a variety of virtual programs for prospective students. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Valuegrade A minus
- Diversitygrade B+
- Campusgrade B+
- Athleticsgrade B
- Party Scenegrade A
- Professorsgrade A minus
- Locationgrade A
- Dormsgrade B minus
- Campus Foodgrade B
- Student Lifegrade A
- Safetygrade B
Since 1791, the University of Vermont has worked to move humankind forward. Today, UVM is a Public Ivy and top 100 research university of a perfect size, large enough to offer a breadth of ideas, resources, and opportunities, yet small enough to enable close faculty-student mentorship across all levels of study, from bachelor’s to M.D. programs. Here, students’ educational experience and activities are enriched by our location — from the energy and innovation of Burlington to the forests, farms, and independent spirit of Vermont. UVM provides students endless ways to explore the world, challenge ideas, and dig in on the most pressing issues of our time.
Our hometown perennially appears on national rankings that laud its livability, access to nature and recreation (including the best skiing in the northeast), thriving food and music scene, rising identity as a technology and innovation hub, and its status as a top college town.
University of Vermont Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 95 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 123 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 123 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Business264 Graduates
- Environmental Science198 Graduates
- Psychology133 Graduates
- Economics105 Graduates
- Biology99 Graduates
- Nursing96 Graduates
- Computer Science88 Graduates
- Political Science and Government86 Graduates
- Public Relations86 Graduates
- Mechanical Engineering85 Graduates
- Active in something29%
- A mix of students with diverse interests.19%
- Ski bum15%
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 152 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life. 169 responses
- Be accepted for who you are/who you want to be24%
- Passinate people working towards a better world20%
- Rich White Kids11%
- Top-tier education in a laid-back environment5%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 75 responses
University of Vermont Reviews
The City of Burlington is beautiful - nothing beats a Burlington sunset - and very walkable. The mountains are a short 30-60 minute drive away for hiking, biking, skiing/snowboarding, and rock climbing. I loved it so much I moved here after graduation.
I'm applying to grad schools in the fall, and I'm confident that the courses I took, the internships I obtained, and the experiences I had at UVM make me a strong candidate. I am so thankful for my experience at UVM!
Misc: I wish UVM had more therapists & psychiatrists on staff, weed is everywhere, parties are hard to come by