University of the Arts Reviews

meal plan is terrible and required to all freshman and others living on campus. main dining hall is only open until 7:30pm which sucks and the second dining hall opens at 8:30pm and closes at 10:30 (which only has burgers and pizza) and there is minimal student life unless you are willing to partake in "Beyonce lip-sync battle". There are absolutely no frat parties or large parties at all or on campus at all. (extremely strict on alcohol ect. RA's will walk around the halls sniffing for weed late at night) -there are only small house parties off campus by people who rent apartments (if you get invited to them). Amazing academics for specified majors, but you are forced to take a lot of high school level core classes that have nothing to do with intended major. Students are extremely immature at this school.
I am a current UArts freshmen Dance Major, so my opinions are biased towards the school.
Here's some of my opinions on the school:
-Literally in the heart of Philadelphia (S Broad Street/ Center City)
-Terra Hall, Gershman Gym, Anderson Hall, Hamilton Hall, & the dorm buildings all on or close to S Broad Street
-Terra Hall contains 17 floors pertaining to The Arts! :)
-Beautiful & spacious dance rooms big windows
-3 floors for dance with 9 different dances rooms (1 room for tap)
-Including the big Gershman Gym, there are 10 different dance rooms
-Very knowledgeable, engaging, open-minded, & creative teachers & faculty
-Terra Dining Hall & Mangia both consistently have the same food every week and could improve, although the food is still good and the staff is friendly
-Dorm rooms could be much better in terms of appearance and comfortability for the price we pay, although it is still livable
-Security is good with doormen/doorwomen & school cards needed to access all buildings
The people here are amazing and really care about both you and the art work you make and how you grow and expand your creativity
Start Your Review of University of the Arts
The University of the Arts is an incredible school in a great location, and provides an excellent learning environment for young artists. The faculty is well-handled to teach this material, and the courses are interesting from the start. The only complaint I have is the school's overall organization. Otherwise, the school is an excellent institution that provides for the start of many careers in the arts. The focus on worldliness, mindfulness, and diplomacy through the arts and in social practice make the students not only better artists, but better people.
The school's biggest major are dance and theatre and those getting the majority of the funding. I'm a music composition student, the smallest department in the school of music and we don't get much more than the other performing arts majors. We have composition lessons (obviously) and rotating instrumental chamber groups that sight read pieces for recordings that usually don't go that well. The practice rooms are poorly maintained with crumbling walls and untuned pianos. But the teachers are really what makes this school worth it, most of them at least. If anyone is interested in jazz, this is definitely a school to consider. Anything like classical or modern scoring- not so much.
I have only been attending this university for one semester, but I plan to stay for all four years. Throughout my short time there so far, I have not had a single teacher who didn't like their job or was a bad teacher. All of my teachers have passion for performance as well as teaching. They have all been super helpful, encouraging, and supportive and I thrive in the program. I also adore the students there. I have made so many amazing friends, acquaintances, and connections for future collaboration. I can't wait for the next semester.
I like this school because it has faculty members that really for us and actually do or did what they teach outside of this school. I also love how we are all encouraged to collaborate with one another and helps to explore new things for my realm of art.
The University of the Arts is simply one of a kind. We have such diverse community full of these amazing and talented people surrounding each other. We all can collaborate in some way shape of form. I am majoring in the dance program and love being apart of this specific community. The faculty is here to push and drive you toward your ultimate goals and dreams in life. They will make whatever needs to be done, done so that you are living up to your expectations as a dancer, wanting to be whatever in life. My experience here so far is amazing and will never regret my choice coming here.
Attending University of the Arts has opened many doors for me. I would recommend any person with true passion for entering the art world to check the school out. The professors all enjoy their jobs and are 100% dedicated to teaching their students. I look forward to going back for the Spring 2018 semester!
I study illustration and our program is very good. The dorms are probably the best dorms you will ever live in, and the community here is great. Philadelphia is a great place to be an artist and UArts gives you immediate access to the Philly arts community. UArts is diverse and everyone, both students and professors, is passionate about what they do.
love the faculty and work study program. A Very liberal school with lots of creative and caring people. grate for experiancing all forms of art and sight seeing.
I love how much they push you to be the greatest you could possibly be. They embrace who you are and welcome you with open arms. It has been an amazing experience so far and I can't wait to continue my journey here.
I spent a year at UArts and overall my experience was positive. The professors are very knowledgeable and personable. Philadelphia is an amazing city and the opportunity to attend school in Center City was a fantastic experience. Wonderful and vibrant area. They allow you to take classes across the different schools and disciplines which enriched my education. Their general education classes I found to be lacking. I did find it difficult to connect with the student body and student activities.
It is located in Philadelphia Center City. The buildings are along Broad St & I get to see alot of the City. The classes are awesome. I look forward to continuing my education here!
Being able to attend this university is such a huge privilege. Not only do I get to study the work I have wanted to go into for years, but now I am surrounded by more like-minded people. It is an incredibly comforting college, though there is definitely hard work. However, the overall experience makes the work all worth it.
UArts is a complicated school. A lot of the teachers here are magnificent and work really hard to make students feel comfortable and informed. The dorms are also huge! There isnt much that happens on campus that people attend but there are parties every weekend. The biggest obstacle is the tiny population size. If you don't mind recognizing everyone you go to school with then this is a great place to immerse yourself with others that share your love for art.
I am a Dance major at the University of the Arts. So far, I am completely in love with the school and the dance program. I love how all of my teachers are still working professionals and a lot of the upperclass work professionally too. Where the university is located in Philly is just a great way to put yourself out there and start networking and getting to know the business.
Start Your Review of University of the Arts
So far i have loved this school and have had fun. I was tired a lot and my body was in pain from all the dancing, but i loved it. I can't wait for next semester and to learn more about dance. My other classes were fine and not too hard. It was easy to balance my schedule and still have free time.
the university of the arts offers a unique experience for young artists looking for ways to dive into the philly art scene and meet other artists doing the same. the academics are pretty average with a few really cool professors here and there. the school does seem to cater to those who choose traditional arts (i.e dancing,acting, illustration) over others, but if you find yourself shorthanded the staff is pretty welcoming to new ideas.
if you're not sure what to do, the school won't be able to help you. Thats why self motivation is key.