University of Southern Maine Reviews

Not a bad school but improvement are coming. The school has lots of events going on in the community and is very involved as well with the city of Gorham and Portland. They always has something for the students to do and a local business and have great stuff who want to see you be successful.
The University of Southern Maine (USM) is a great public university that spans two campuses, one in Portland and the other in Gorham. Each campus serves a variety of the different programs available but also offers students different changes in scenery from a city atmosphere in Portland, to the small town feels of Gorham. With the variety of programs available, USM offers all students chances to study where their interests and future careers will take them.
USM is also a welcoming community to students from all backgrounds and stands to make them welcome. There are a lot of resources available to students to use as well as student communities and groups.
With USM, my experience there was one of the best I can say, building strong relationships with faculty, my department and fellow peers as well as a solid education in my field.
University of Southern Maine has a friendly environment. It is very easy to find your way around campus because it is fairly small. There are also a ton of maps around to help you on your way. If there are no maps around, asking someone would do the trick! The professors are willing to help you with any issues or concerns. They have an excellent tutoring program at USM that is free as well! There are so many different ways to succeed here!
Start Your Review of University of Southern Maine
Classes and professors are typically great. Campus life however is not the best. The food is terrible and most housing conditions are rundown and outdated.
I am a music ed major. I have really enjoyed USM. The opportunities that have been given are beyond measure. The hardest thing about the college is getting the financial aid department to help. My bill has been more than expected each semester and it has been a struggle to come up with the additional funding.
DURING MY time at this university, I had a very adept time learning material in classes. The problem for me was the community because it seemed that most of the people really kept to themselfs or were wayyy too publicly open about their private life.
I love University of Southern Maine because of how affordable and accommodating they are to the students. I also love the location and how there is easy access to everything from food to fun. I also like how they have free train passes for all of the students.
USM has a variety of classes and a variety of programs. They have multiple campuses throughout the state.
The only thing I disliked about the university is that they increased my tuition for the following year.
The professors are fair and there are a variety of classes offered. The university is very diverse. There are a variety of academic programs. The university has several campuses so people don't have to travel very far.
The general atmosphere is fine, but the residential services (dining hall, residence halls, etc) are pretty poorly handled.
I really liked the area! It was close to the city and stores, which I liked. Their open house was great, I learned a lot about the college. The campus was beautiful. The area felt safe as well. They have two campuses, and they have a bus to drive students between them. I've been accepted and am planning on attending this year. I can't wait until 2019 when they finish making new dorms on their second campus.
Being a freshman in college can be a weird experience but USM helped me through that experience and made the transition from high to college as smooth as possible.
When I chose The University of Southern Maine, I chose it based off of affordability. For the price that most students pay in and out of state, it's a nice school, but it can't offer everything a big school can offer. The Portland campus is nice and the Gorham campus is fine. The professors are able to give more attention to individual students because of how small the classes are and familiar faces fill my walks from one class to another. Personally, I want a bigger school and more major programs that a bigger school can offer but there are benefits to a smaller school. I would like to see residential, on-campus living on the Portland Campus because living on the Gorham campus doesn't offer as many opportunities as living in the city of Portland would offer. All and all, if you want a small school and to not be overwhelmed by your class load your freshman year, I recommend the University of Southern Maine.
I've fun, new college experiences and made many new friends so far. There is a large amount of diversity among students. The university provides a great learning environment for all students.
I would like to see the diversity and the opportunities for student application to change. To be able to see more opportunities to do things outside of school work and sports.
My experience, so far as a sophomore, has been average. You get what you pay for. Most of my professors have been really nice.
Start Your Review of University of Southern Maine
The environment is pretty good. However , since the university is divided into three places it seems pretty small . Overall the academics is good. Don't expect many parties or programs if you are a commuting student.
Though I'm just beginning my journey in attaining higher education, this university stands out as being remarkably clean and organized. From word of mouth the reviews I've read of USM, there is little reason to not want to attend this school if you reside within the Portland area. Its financial services staff and advisors are professional and diligently serve to ensure that students succeed, and the professors are dedicated to their students. Thus far, I'm rather quite impressed with the experience.
It's a good school with great teachers. It has a commuter lounge and a large cafeteria on the Portland campus. There are many places to study around campus. My only complaint is the increase in tuition.