University of Southern Maine Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Neither required nor recommended
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- 1% Cash Back + affordable rates starting at 3.82% APR w/auto debit discount
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
- Apply online in just 3 minutes
- No origination, application and processing fees, no fees for early repayment
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.42 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.48 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.48 responses
Most Popular Majors
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say Greek life is pretty low-key and has little effect on the social scene.47 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.67 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.33 responses
University of Southern Maine Reviews
University of Southern Maine has a friendly environment. It is very easy to find your way around campus because it is fairly small. There are also a ton of maps around to help you on your way. If there are no maps around, asking someone would do the trick! The professors are willing to help you with any issues or concerns. They have an excellent tutoring program at USM that is free as well! There are so many different ways to succeed here!
I've enjoyed my first semester at USM. The school overall is okay! I love the Music Department. I'm a Music Education Major, and I couldn't be happier in my department. I love the music staff and most of my classes. The food is okay, The campus is okay, there's a town square that's in walking distance with Hannafords, Goodwill, Burger King, Rite Aid, and theres a shuttle that takes you to the Portland Campus, and downtown Portland is about a 20 minute walk from there.
I enjoyed my time at USM as a commuter, but I can see it being boring and uneventful for on-campus students. Splitting time between the two campuses can be enjoyable or annoying depending on your preferences and major. I appreciated USM's effort to interact with students and the community, and I considered most of my professors to be above average and incredibly helpful. Overall, I found USM to be worth the money (as an in-state student) and would recommend it to any commuter student looking for an affordable and straightforward college experience. There are probably better Universities in the southern/central Maine area for students looking for a more engaging on-campus lifestyle.