University of Rochester Reviews

1,418 reviews
All aspects of the university, including dorms, safety, food, and student life, have improved greatly since I attended the University of Rochester. This is awesome for future students. I wish them great success.
Competitive academics with passionate professors. Great opportunities for research and advanced scientific discoveries by professors.
All around, Rochester is an amazing institution. They should make an effort to engage the low-income community that surrounds the school and find better administration with little scandals.
Start Your Review of University of Rochester
The University of Rochester is a great school and I highly recommend it to anyone pursuing a degree in history or the arts.
I love most things about my school. The curriculum is well designed, the professors are (for the most part) great, and there is a lot of campus pride from the students. The only negative experience I had was with the handling of the sexual assault case involving a professor.
I love the welcoming atmosphere of Rochester. All the peer mentors on the hall are so efficient yet kind. Rochester provides so many networking opportunities, tutoring options, and professors are always open to help you. I wish they had more resources for humanities students, who get overwhelmed by the loads of STEM majors.
Very diverse in the culture, people, and everything else that goes along with it. Consistently challenging students and professors in innovation and improvement.
I've loved my 4 years at UR. The people and academics there are outstanding. The students are supportive, active, and engaging; the staff are friendly and always willing to help you out; and professors are world-class, approachable, and accessible. The academics here are some of the highest quality in the U.S. and competetive with some of the larger schools around the globe. Rochester may not be the first university you think of when you think of an impactful, top-notch, and influential university, but it certainly holds those labels near and dear. It continuously has exceeded my expectations and I'm sure it'll continue to do so for future students.
I have attended the University of Rochester School of Nursing for my Bachelors degree in nursing and am currently enrolled for my doctorate of nursing practice degree to become a family nurse practitioner. The school has flexible class times, including evening class time for students who work traditional day-time hours. Many of the classes are completely online or hybrid courses. The professors are often practicing nurses or advanced practice nurses, which allow students to obtain the best possible education. The school is across the street from Strong Memorial Hospital, which makes it convenient for students to juggle work and school schedules.
As a current student at the University of Rochester, I am enjoying my experience thus far. The people are great, there are a large variety of clubs and other things to get involved in. Greek life is active and sports are pretty decent as well. I have a pretty good social life which I didn't really expect to happen. As far as academics go, the level of difficulty is a bit ridiculous. Most classes that I take must be curved because the averages are so low since the tests are about 75% harder than anything gone over in class. With this, a lot of extra stress is added because it feels like you are failing all semester before the curve is added.
I have enjoyed my time here at the University of Rochester because of the people (students and professors) I'm surrounded by. There isn't too much I find interesting in town to do so I am usually on campus with my classmates, hallmate and friends. the very diverse student body means that there's never a dull moment because there are so many interesting people from amazing cultures to talk to and have fun with.

Our professors are also very approachable and when you go out of your way to know them, they treat you like family instead of like students. The UofR isn't that big andthe way it's set up, with all these great people, makes me feel liek I'm part of a family
A very nerdy, PC, liberal school. However, if you are not nerdy or are not PC or are not liberal, you will always be able to find people with your same interests. It's big but not overwhelming. You actually feel you exist
Academically speaking, the college is great. however, I would like to change the administration a bit. There is a lot of bureaucracy that mess things up.
No general education classes makes it easy to explore different fields and find out what you want to study. Give good financial aid, even though in my case they decreased it significantly after my freshman year (even though my financial situation only got worse). Campus is a good size. Surrounding area isn't the best, some crime and bad neighborhoods.
My experience was great! It was full of diversity and supportive of peers who want you to succeed. The faculty and staff are exceptional and the library access to get you what you need knows no bounds. Yellowjacket Festival at the beginning of the year sets off the mood of the school year and the alumni are very helpful and interactive with current students. Classes are always interesting and you can merge your major with your interest in any field. U of R wants to explore and has a range of courses, like Beginner Piano and the Psychology of Sex. There are tons of awesome clubs to be apart of. There isn't a huge multicultural greek life presence and school bus system could be run slightly better.
Provides a prestigious degree, but at a high cost. The high tuition is far from the only expense. The school uses price gouging techniques everywhere. Food, housing, and other necessities are up-charged because the students don't have many other options. Off-campus food is far and often unnavigable. The University of Rochester requires that students buy everything from meal plans to hall festivities. I would much prefer to eat food outside of the campus rather than purchase their ridiculously priced meal plan, but the administration will not allow it. In summary, the school is greedy and doesn't care much about the welfare of its students, only their money.
Rochester has a little bit of everything for everyone. It has great academic and extracurricular opportunities. The University has services that are a great benefit for students such as career and internship, social networking, community service, tutoring, mental health, etc. While the party scene is not as grand and crazy as some state schools, it still exists and is fun. Students have a good return investment as long as students make sure to utilize the school's services and have fun. The open curriculum allows for a not strict to code course schedule and allow students to explore other areas.
Start Your Review of University of Rochester
The University of Rochester is a widely diverse and multi-talented institution, with astounding academics and an impressive array of instructors and educators to engage all levels of student learning.
The University of Rochester has become a second home to me. I found comfort in the little things: the two swings we have in the middle of the school, the beautiful buildings especially the breathtaking Rush Rhees Library, the dance studios, the basketball court in Spurrier, etc. The university found a way to make you feel so welcomed as a college freshmen by hosting multiple carnivals, free giveaways, and orientation week. One thing about Rochester that I would change is more diversity on campus. As a Latina, it was hard trying to fit in and find my crowd first semester. With more diversity, the school should be set.
The first impression for the student is the diversity and inclusive environment. There are many that come from different walks of life and all come to reap the benefits this university has to offer. Academically, the professors, administrators, and advisers readily make themselves available for the student. The building hours are reasonable and clubs and activities are highly involved with the campus community. There are always events on campus but the off-campus culture is alive as well.