University of Rochester Reviews

1,383 reviews
It has strong academics and a good support system for students, though the administration can be difficult. Very, ridiculously liberal to the point of exaggeration. This is definitely a nerd school, so don't come here looking for great parties, and Rochester isn't exactly exploding with nightlife. However, it's a good school and in pretty area.
Rochester is a very homey school. There is always something to do on campus whether it be studying, movies, or other activities. With everything on campus it often is hard to find time and ways to get off campus and explore Rochester. The city of Rochester is quite spread out so its hard to get around very easily. The University does supply buses, however they often only run to central shopping locations on the weekends. Study spaces on campus are limitless and comfortable. The overall feel of the campus is very pleasant with lots of green grass and beautiful trees. At the center of it all is Rush Rhees library which can be seen and heard (through bells that play every 15 minutes) from miles away. University of Rochester is academically challenging, but there are lots of resources you can use to get help if you need it. Overall U of R's campus and personality have made it a wonderful place to attend!
My experience at University of Rochester has been nothing but great. It is definitely a place where the professors and advisors encourage the students to be there best and pursue their passions.
Review University of Rochester
I love it here! There's is always some thing to do, or get involved with. Everyone here really cares about their classes and are always trying to make each other better. A very collaborative, as opposed to competitive, environment.
Amazing school. Academics are excellent, campus is beautiful and people are diverse and kind. Offers many opportunities and help in all aspects of academics, health and life.
The University of Rochester is a very challenging school. I love the academic environment because everyone is here to learn. The cluster system at this school saved me. I was originally a Bio major on the Pre-Med track and I found out that I hated Biology and there was no way I was going to finish Pre-Med. Luckily I had taken a Political Science course for my social science cluster the same semester and realized I loved it. Also because you don't declare a major right away, it is easy to change your major. It is so easy to explore your interests here. The campus is beautiful, though I would not call it very handicap accessible. The food is pretty good for a college. The professors all have many office hours and if you can't meet with them, the TA's have office hours too. I love this school and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is applying to college.
I like the curriculum and programs they have to offer and the fact that it challenges me. I would like to see more change in the dorms so they can be a more comfortable living space.
Studying as a dual degree student at the Eastman School of Music and College of Arts and Sciences, I can say that the dual degree program itself is very well constructed. My peers challenge me daily to improve myself and put my best foot forward, and the school really lends itself to a positive and competitive atmosphere.
The campus is small so the community is closely knitted. The dorms are very good, having a large selection of single rooms even for freshmen. The school is relatively dry on alcohol and safe, but note that the local area, not in the vicinity of the campus, can be frequented by crimes.
Overall, the University of Rochester is a great place to study. There are enormous academic opportunities. If you are into research, there are hundreds of ways to get started. Most of the professors are friendly, approachable, and are really passionate about the classes they teach. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself by taking challenging courses. The students are competitive, but they also are willing to help each other out. Rochester gets pretty quiet at times and the party scene on weekends is AWFUL. But this also encourages you to make friends and do your own things with them on the weekends, instead of relying on parties to dictate your social life.
The University of Rochester is excellent academically, and has a beautiful campus with generally great professors who wish to challenge their students to think and learn. Food is decent, dorm rooms are not so great. The flooring in rooms that I've seen is tile and the walls are white painted cement, but freshman housing has pretty large open doubles which can be rearranged if you don't like the set up. Singles in the upperclassmen halls are tiny, probably not recommendable for anyone who gets claustrophobic easily, though there is housing slightly off campus that has much larger rooms as well as carpet which can be used after sophomore year. Overall my experience has been generally good though. The classes have been engaging and taught by dedicated professors. The people are generally friendly and great, I've made tons of friends so far and keep making more every semester. Overall the UofR is a great school with great people.
I love the academics of the University of Rochester. They're rigorous but very rewarding, and the professors are dedicated to your success for the most part. However, I do not like the social vibe of the school. It's hard for me to personally fit in because the majority of the students are either party-crazed or athletes.
University of Rochester is a great place for those who love to learn for the sake of learning. The open curriculum allows students to take a wide variety of class and pursue unique majors, minors, and clusters. Also as a top tier research university, U of R is a place of discovery, breaking barriers, and stretching the limits of knowledge.
Academics at the University of Rochester is really great. The professors are really helpful and thought it's not particularly a small school, it's really easy to meet professors and they will remember you after you meet them. Diversity at Rochester amazed me, there are tons of international students and I fit in perfectly. Parties are also fun from time to time. But all in all, most of the people in Rochester come with a purpose academically.
I love the University of Rochester. I applied Early Decision to the U of R, I knew it was love at first sight. Although I am native to Rochester, NY, the same exact school could have been in a different state with a different name and I would have still attended. I am so proud to be an undergraduate at the University of Rochester.
The school is top-notch in academics, research, and student resources. The combination of being a leading research school with its small-to-medium student body size allows U of R to offer many research opportunities to undergraduate students.
It's community is truly in a league of its own. It balances social life with the strong academic life.
Review University of Rochester
Overall, I have come to love the University of Rochester. Their open-curriculum allows you to use intrinsic motivation to decide your true passion for a college major. Our diversity will allow you to meet people from all walks of life, and allow you to see the world with multiple different perspectives. We place high value on our efforts for social justice, and we are a very politically involved school. You will learn to care about the world more than ever after attending the UR for four years.
I am currently in my 2nd year at U of R. I really like the open curriculum, the fact that the school doesn't require students to take general education class with the exception of one writing class. The school has a lot of tutoring services and staff that are willing to help their students. I haven't had any issues with my professors and I hope I won't have to. The campus is generally saving and clean. I love the diversity in the school.
I would love to see more opportunities and places to go in the surrounding, Rochester city area. The University of Rochester (especially the Eastman School of Music) was phenomenal.