University of Rochester Reviews

1,429 reviews
An incredible University for academics, where students really care about their work. The flexibility of the curriculum allows students to tailor their journey in order to focus on their passions and get a firm grasp of their fields. Not the most social or fun school and definitely not the warmest (it gets really cold up here), but a top research institution that prepares future professionals.
Visiting here was a great experience. The campus was great and easily accessible. Buildings were clean and orderly. Everyone was super friendly and approachable.
The University of Rochester has a very intelligent but quite homogenous student population. The professors are engaged in their students' education. There is a vast number of activities to participate in. However, it is extremely expensive and the tuition cost is rising each year.
Start Your Review of University of Rochester
Academics here are excellent but some professors are more interested in their research than teaching their courses. Pre-major advising is also not ideal- there is a high population of pre-med students and not enough advisors suited to their intended major or career path. Most advisors are also not knowledgable enough for their advisees. There are also not a lot of job opportunities on campus to help students who rely heavily on financial aid pay their tuition. Despite this, there is a lot of ethnic diversity on campus and many clubs available for any and all interests.
I haven't started yet but i was intrigued by the fantastic reputation the University holds in the upstate NY region and all the great work the hospital does on a daily bases for all the patients and children of upstate NY
Very friendly to prospective Undergraduate students. As a high school junior and senior, I have visited the campus. I am always impressed by the atmosphere that is present among the students and the faculty. I have also interviewed with admissions, and it was a very positive experience.
I've only been here for about 2 months but so far I love it. They usually give out v good scholarships despite the high sticker price, the dorms are bigger than average (some of them are incredible, such as Genesee, but some are older like Hoeing and Gilbert). Academics are great (I'm taking 2 classes with fewer than 20 students my first semester) but it is a very demanding school. My biggest complaint is that the library isn't open all night, but other than that, fantastic school.
I Really think that University of Rochester do provide a great study environment and give us plenty of opportunity in research and studies. In my opinion, in every college, is up to us for getting things right and I think University of Rochester do provide us all of the necessary things to get to where we want. It is up to us to do it or not.
Overall, I had a nice learning experience. My professors and counselors were very approachable. After I graduated in 2011, I went to visit not too long ago and A LOT of changes have been made to the campus and it looks amazing. A lot of restaurants in the area and places to chill and have a good time. I miss it from time to time.
Nice University with great faculties and great students. The environment is awesome. Yet the location is not very convenient and the Sue B Hall is not very comfortable to live in even though it has a store and a canteen.
The academics is excellent with very good diversity among the student body. More support for international students would be nice though.
All aspects of the university, including dorms, safety, food, and student life, have improved greatly since I attended the University of Rochester. This is awesome for future students. I wish them great success.
Competitive academics with passionate professors. Great opportunities for research and advanced scientific discoveries by professors.
All around, Rochester is an amazing institution. They should make an effort to engage the low-income community that surrounds the school and find better administration with little scandals.
The University of Rochester is a great school and I highly recommend it to anyone pursuing a degree in history or the arts.
I love most things about my school. The curriculum is well designed, the professors are (for the most part) great, and there is a lot of campus pride from the students. The only negative experience I had was with the handling of the sexual assault case involving a professor.
I love the welcoming atmosphere of Rochester. All the peer mentors on the hall are so efficient yet kind. Rochester provides so many networking opportunities, tutoring options, and professors are always open to help you. I wish they had more resources for humanities students, who get overwhelmed by the loads of STEM majors.
Start Your Review of University of Rochester
Very diverse in the culture, people, and everything else that goes along with it. Consistently challenging students and professors in innovation and improvement.
I've loved my 4 years at UR. The people and academics there are outstanding. The students are supportive, active, and engaging; the staff are friendly and always willing to help you out; and professors are world-class, approachable, and accessible. The academics here are some of the highest quality in the U.S. and competetive with some of the larger schools around the globe. Rochester may not be the first university you think of when you think of an impactful, top-notch, and influential university, but it certainly holds those labels near and dear. It continuously has exceeded my expectations and I'm sure it'll continue to do so for future students.
I have attended the University of Rochester School of Nursing for my Bachelors degree in nursing and am currently enrolled for my doctorate of nursing practice degree to become a family nurse practitioner. The school has flexible class times, including evening class time for students who work traditional day-time hours. Many of the classes are completely online or hybrid courses. The professors are often practicing nurses or advanced practice nurses, which allow students to obtain the best possible education. The school is across the street from Strong Memorial Hospital, which makes it convenient for students to juggle work and school schedules.