University of Portland Reviews

University of Portland really goes all out for tours but then the reality is a little different once you're moved in. After a semester things get repetitive as far as campus life. The professors are cool and knowledgeable.
University of Portland is this best place to be if you want to study in Portland. The campus has a beautiful river and wooded hills view. It is also removed from the unsavory aspects of the city. I wish the food choices were better and the dorms were updated but that's typical. If UP would add football to the sports line up it would be about perfect.
I transferred from Linfield and can say everything is improved upon here. Academics, dorms, food, the campus and city life. UP may be a little more expense but you get what you pay for.
Start Your Review of University of Portland
It's a really small school, and it is really easy to stick with the same group of people, but don't. Branch out and you will meet the most amazing people in the entire world! Everyone is so kind and genuinely nice.
I liked the learning atmosphere, the academic opportunities, and the different ways that students can get involved in the community. I also really like the professor-led classes, which allow students to get first-hand lessons and students can be more proactive in the classroom. There is not much change that I would like to see because the University of Portland has exceeded my expectations.
Good option for students who live in the PDX Metro area and want to stay close to home. Food is pretty limited and the neighborhood around campus is residential so not much to walk too. Wish we had football.
The racial demographic is very basic, no real diversity. There is a large caucasian, Hawaiian and Guamanian population but everything else makes up less then 8 % of the student body. Outside of the soccer games there is a lack of school spirit and the food is terrible. The only time Bon Appetite changes the food options and increases the quality of meals is during student visitation days. (How convenient). Also food within the market place is incredibly overpriced (eg: Avocados are 5 dollars). Psafe as well has a terrible disciplinary system and need a new and more efficient disciplinary structure.
University of Portland was my first choice school because it had everything I wanted. It has a good science department, small but large feel campus, and a good professor to student ratio. Class sizes are a good size where the professors know your name and want you to succeed. Sports wise it's not very good. The men's cross country team was the best sport as they got 2nd in the nation. The first few games are the most attended and then people stop going. There are not many parties, but you can find small house parties if you know the person. The food is descent at first, but gets worse as there are not many options. It defiantly gets better during visitation days, but all the others days it's okay.
UP is what you'd expect of a private Catholic University in one of the least diverse major cities in the U.S. Being a smaller school with Catholic teachings that influence the rules and a hyperactive Public Safety, there's virtually no party scene. Academics is likely UPs most admirable forte; smaller class sizes, very good professors, and a million different academic resources make sure that you can get any assistance you need with your schooling. The campus dinning is controlled by one company alone, and one which makes healthy and tasty food with lots of organic ingredients, but falls short in nearly every other category of food service. The prices are consistently about twice as high as any other University, making it far too expensive for a good portion of the student body. The hours of operation are unreasonable and annoying. The menus don't stay consistent and when you're paying too much for their food, you should at least be able to get what you want.
University of Portland is an overall nice school; they have a very appealing campus, and good academics, but unfortunately, they lack a lot of school spirit. Many of the professors are very involved with their students and care a lot about how their students are performing, but student-to-student relationships lack that feel.
UP is an excellent college for any field in science. I am interested in a nursing degree. I applied and have been accepted with a susbstanial merit package. I flew up with my family to tour several OR/WA schools. I fell in love with Portland with the green trees and mountain views. UP is tucked into a quaint neighborhood. I was taken aback by a claustrophobic feeling on campus. I knew it was a small college but you don't know how that actually feels until you get here. I also was not prepared for the level of religious influence here.
My first year in University of Portland has been amazing so far. I got lucky with my dorm choice because everybody on my floor has just been great people and I feel blessed to be able to call them my friends, the academics have also been great and the teachers have been some of the most helpful and passionate educators I have ever met.
When I first came here, it was the first time I had moved so I was very shy and timid and overwhelmed, but the staff and students and literally everyone here was so welcoming and great. I felt like I got a lot of information about the campus within just the first few days of being on the grounds. I made friends really quickly mostly because everyone was so nice, and probably just as scared as me. I liked that they "required" us to have a workshop group because it made us very close with a select group of people, of which most of the people in that class became some of my very best friends.
After receiving a generous scholarship I came in for a tour. Everyone was very nice and the campus was beautiful. I didn’t get the traditional collegiate feel that you get in a college town.
I have loved my UP experience so far! My roommate and all the peers I have run into are decent people, if not really nice and friendly. Campus is small, which Is a bit of a personal negative, but it’s gorgeous and most of the time I am really thankful it’s so quick to get around. My professors have been friendly, genuinely passionate about their subjects and invested in my progress. The food is AMAZING for campus food - It regularly changes and encompasses different ethnic foods.
For the School of Education specifically, I can say the advisors are quirky and fun and up for casual check ins and in prompt to drop ins from their advisees. No where is perfect but I honestly can say I wouldn’t have chosen anywhere else.
The campus is beautiful, but there are limited options for eating on campus. The professors are all very knowledgable and nice, and many provide options to really understand the course material. The dorms vary in quality and it is a bit unfair that students have to pay the same amount for housing.
UP is a very strong school academically. I do wish the acceptance was more selective but they give a lot of scholarships which is how I ended up here. Nice small campus with pretty views in a trendy Portland neighborhood. If you are looking for the college experience with school spirit and epic shenanigans you won't find it here. I really miss football games and the city of Portland doesn't even have a pro team.
Start Your Review of University of Portland
I love the small campus, yet it is big enough for me to not feel as though I'm being locked in to some place so small. It's in a great part of portland with easy access to a multitude of activities.
I am a freshman here at UP and so far I love it. The upperclassmen, professors, and staff are nice and welcoming. The dorms are ok most don't have AC but the space is a good size. The professors are tough but willing to work with you almost anytime.
Beautiful campus close to all the trendy parts of PDX and great outdoor activities. Rigorous academics and tight knit community. Dorms and food could improve but that's typical