University of Pennsylvania Reviews

1,111 reviews
Excellent for pre-professional paths, especially for Wharton/business track, but little variety in what careers students pursue (dominant banking/consulting culture), which can become restricting and stressful. Great education, but culture can be taxing.
I loved my undergraduate experience at UPenn. The campus is beautiful and it is obviously a great school. West Philadelphia has also come a long way in the past decade or so, and I always felt safe on campus. The dining halls leave some to be desired, but they are pretty average college dining halls. The dorms are pretty nice - especially the Quad and New College House. Social life is vibrant, but the general support for athletics is lacking. My biggest criticism of the school is its poor mental health and the lack of initiative on the administration's side to improve it.
The academics are obviously fantastic. I feel like I'm learning so much. The professors are generally very good, although the math department could use some work. One thing that Penn does is that they make things very very hard for you. The tests are not something you can just ace from the material taught in class. You really have to take the effort to delve into the subject and understand it fully if you are going to get good grades. This can feel very discouraging, but you are pushed to your greatest potential because of it. The school is very diverse and has many many cultural clubs and opportunities. Because of the clubs, you can express and expand upon any interest you have even if it is not taught as a course.
Review University of Pennsylvania
Great, overall. People here live by the motto of "work hard, play hard". It's a bit difficult to find the balance at first, but there are definitely more than enough academic support that can help you cut down the time and effort you need to spend on academics, which gives you quite a lot of time to do whatever you want. The location of Penn is great for entertainment, internships, conducting researches, and pretty much any sort of opportunity. Although the food on campus isn't great at all, the food in Philly is phenomenal, even the food truck meal that only costs $5 and can sustain you for two meals are delicious. The student body is great and not at all like the stereotypical Ivy kids. Of course, there are the Whartonites and the Nursing people who kind of fit in with the stereotypes, but overall, I'd say that most of the students here are just enjoying their time, pursuing their passions, and exploring the opportunities here.
Penn gave me the best 4 years of my life (so far). Not only did it give me access to excellent faculty and educational opportunities, it fundamentally re-taught me to learn. Here, I had the platform to break down everything I thought I knew, and reconstruct myself into whoever I wanted to be. Some of the more rewarding parts of my experience have been my relationships with my mentors (academic and non-academic), and peers who challenged me everyday and helped me grow. The cross-cultural dialogue in a place with so much diversity was incredibly high, and enabled me to expand my perspective on diverse issues. Overall, it was a very fulfilling experience.
Amazing school, amazing resources, amazing professors, amazing education. Located in the inner city but all the better for a student's social life. No doubt a great university to attend if can be accepted.
AMAZING staff! Everyone has been supportive and gone above and beyond. Not only has this open many doors for networking but allowed for building lifelong friendships.
I am currently a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania studying Nursing. For me, the school's academia has been above all, and I have continually felt as though I am going to be fully prepared for my future career. Most of my professors have gotten to know all of us individually, even though we have class sizes of over 100. I am constantly engaged by my academics, and find myself excited to learn. Also, there are such a wide variety of students who come from different backgrounds and have embarked on a diversity of life adventures. I find it so interesting to listen to all of the amazing things that my peers have done in their past, including gap years, business investments, and travels. However, I wish that the students weren't so overly focused on their academics, and were able to enjoy themselves every once in a while.
I love it! There is a great balance between academic work and social life. And the class work load is manageable.
Like any colleges, Penn has both pros and cons. As a graduate student in the School of Social Policy and Practice at Penn (Master's of Social Work), I find that the biggest strength of Penn is its wide reach of professional network, research, etc.

The amount of resources/networking opportunities available for developing insight, experience, and others is unimaginable here at Penn. Having deep connections with all three sectors of the non-profit, for-profit, and governmental world brings its students enormous opportunities and information/knowledge to learn and grow from.

The cons, however, is that Penn as a whole seems a bit lacking in terms of student activism and engagement. There are clubs to join. But, I rarely see them out in the quad or the walkway outreaching or being vocal about a variety of issues students are concerned with in this age and time.
When applying to schools, I did not know whether I wanted to live in a city. Penn has a beautiful campus while being located in a great city! It was the best 4 years.
I visited the campus many times and have done a lot of research on this school as well as know many of its alumni. First off, the food is fantastic. There are so many options because it is located in Philadelphia and there are many food trucks near the campus if not on the campus. Its business school is ranked number one, you have a lot of hands on practice in class, working with local companies and Fortune 500!! It is just amazing and the students are super friendly.
School of nursing at UPenn is worth the investment, but like any college education you get out of it what you put into it. My professors have all been engaged, knowledgeable and helpful.
University of Pennsylvania uniquely combines the highest academic and research standards, a tradition as one of the first universities in the country, an ivy league education, a diverse student and faculty body with a rich social environment where students thrive, creating community and bonds that trascend studies and translate into friendships and professional opportunities for life. Students love Penn.
The university is well-rounded and has plenty of resources for a student to thrive. While it is easy to get caught up in work, there is a large student body to interact with and a great city nearby to explore.
The perfect balance of school and academics, the University of Pennsylvania is an amazing 4 year Ivy League institution that would certainly be the perfect college experience for any bright, motivated student. Its best features are certainly the options for dual degree programs, that allow an undergraduate to receive two degrees from two schools.
I had a lot of fun fun learned learned lot here. There are great students, professors, and campus. I didn't realize until I visited other places how rare it is to have such such nice campus in the middle of of city. The biggest thing to worry about is that while the student to faculty ratio is supposedly good, it depends wildly on the class and the smaller classes are definitely more fun. Admittedly, I was was computer science major and there has been a giant increase a every school in that major which may have resulted in more of my computer science classes being large.
Review University of Pennsylvania
pros: great location, amazing opportunities, strong academics in most departments, vibrant food scene, diverse student body. cons: subpar dining and housing (if not in New College House), drab campus, hypercompetitive and stressed students (esp. premed, Wharton), high levels of social segregation
Penn is a lot of work and full of stress just be prepared. It's not going to be an easy walk in the park.
The university had exceptional teachers and curricular content. The pace of studies is critical but the workload is enormous, much more than the stated time. Happy to attend but it would have been a better realization to understand how much work it was going to take.