University of Pennsylvania Reviews

1,148 reviews
University of Pennsylvania has a well informed instructors who go above and beyond to tutor students. Assigned Readings, individual assignments and group assignments are all structured to fit in and help students understand better. Class participation is encouraged with games and interesting activities to help impact knowledge. What I don't like is that the school is extremely expensive and at this point, am not sure if I can pay for my fall courses.
So far, UPenn has been very intense, academically, but I have yet to join any clubs. I am doing well but the people are so focused on achieving that it's hard to have much of a social life. I include myself in this category. It's great for science, medicine and engineering students but as an English major, I sometimes wonder where I am and why I am here. Overall, the education has been very high quality.
The University of Pennsylvania has given me an excellent learning experience. Academics are challenging, and you will be required to invest a good amount of time to them. Personally, I spent most of my time focused on this but did not find myself feeling overwhelmed for the most part. The university provides excellent study environments where you can study with your friends or by yourself. People at the university are very social and making friends is not a very hard thing to do. I was satisfied with my dining plan except for the fact that it is a little bit overpriced. Despite having a large student population, moving around on campus is not difficult at all. Regarding financial aid, the process of applying can get complicated and some of the staff can be impatient at times. Finally, there is always something to do whether you want to party on campus or do some culinary exploring in the city. Overall, I have had a fantastic experience!
Start Your Review of University of Pennsylvania
It was cutthroat, with little thought about mental health and self-care. Socially, it was great. Academically, the English department was nice and knowledgeable. But the required sectors detract from the entire experience and are a waste of time.
The opportunities at Penn are incredible and open to mostly everyone. Being near Center City Philadelphia and being within University City, Penn is surrounded by so many activities and cool experiences. There is a lot of freedom to do what you want and try new things, be it with courses, fields of study, clubs/organizations, or jobs/careers. This university definitely treats its students as adults and does not "baby" them at all. However, the level of competition and social pressure is extremely high on campus. It is easy to fall victim to the competitive atmosphere even if you don't realize it - clubs themselves have an intense application process that is akin to applying for a job. Socially, there are pressures to have a lot of friends (the whole culture of "networking") and to always be doing something during your free time. This may all be useful for the future, but it gets a little tiring at times.
great school with tons of course options. great students. lots of choices for majors. great professors. wish there were more smaller classes. love the computer science, cognitive science and south asian studies dept.
Penn is a very beautiful campus in a very cool city. It makes it easy and convenient to go do fun things.
The academics are very challenging and the hyper-competitive culture can make it hard to feel like you're succeeding. This is probably the worst part.
Other than that, there is a very work hard play hard attitude--students work very hard, but there are a lot of parties and weekend activities. Not just frat parties, but groups rent out clubs and venues, like Magic Gardens, and host events there.
Overall, I think Penn is a great school and with the name brand degree can open a lot of doors for employment opportunities.
I loved the diversity of opportunities, schools, and backgrounds that came together on the campus. I also appreciate that the beautifully renovated buildings.
One thing that I did not appreciate was the super pre-professional culture and the PennFace.
Appropriately challenging with so many different clubs, organizations, and groups that allow you to find your people and to experience new things.
Some of the best faculty around. Plenty of opportunities for students to take graduate level courses and participate in research. Tends to be pre-professional.
Lots of opportunities for research, jobs, internships, etc... Students are super competitive and make classes feel stressful. Wonderful resources and facilities. But student life can be poor if you want to do well in classes.
Getting through Penn is a huge accomplishment. It is highly competitive and stressful, mostly because of the Wharton School mindset seems to permeate to the other colleges as well. Mental health is a huge issue for many students and it seems like many students are not getting adequately treated. The school does have a lot of resources for students compared to other schools. There are support systems and great professors if you know where to look.
My favorite thing about my experience at the University of Pennsylvania has to be the people. I have met such talented, intelligent, down to earth people who are ambitious and dedicated to their academics as well as their other interests. The environment at UPenn is very much work hard but also play hard. However it is not competitive, but more supportive in nature.
Competitive yet passionate and inspiring. The school offers a lot of diversity and pushes you to explore a variety of activities, thoughts and experiences.
There are so many opportunities being at a large research institution with a large medical network, great business school, and ties to the community. However, the pre-professional atmosphere and competitiveness can be a lot sometimes.
A great interdisciplinary academic community with a rich tradition of community based opportunities. Founded by Ben Franklin, Penn is grounded in a humanistic viewpoint that accepts students from diverse backgrounds.
I liked the environment along with the academic curriculum. The Professors were great and the overall performance of staff was magnificent. I was able to stay focused and if I fell short I was supported by a cast that did not allow me to fail behind. The support was overwhelming and the school itself lived up to the number rankings it received. I would recommend Penn to anyone who is ready for the challenge.
Start Your Review of University of Pennsylvania
Really enjoyed my undergrad experience. West Philly sometimes gets a bad rep, but I never felt unsafe. Easily my favorite urban campus I've been to. Most upperclassmen live in off-campus housing, which is mostly a rip-off for the quality you get in the areas closest to school. Campus food is ok at best, but the food trucks and Philadelphia culinary scene are unbeatable.
I love the convenience of my program’s course schedule. As a full time graduate student who is also employed full-time, the university makes it possible for me to do both. The staff is accessible and kind. It has been a very pleasant academic process for me.
It id a very good experience so far, but it is competitive academically. Not much diversity but the social scene is very active.