Northern Iowa is an above-average public university located in Cedar Falls, Iowa. It is a mid-size institution with an enrollment of 9,146 undergraduate students. The Northern Iowa acceptance rate is 83%. Popular majors include Elementary Education, Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies, and Business Administration and Management. Graduating 65% of students, Northern Iowa alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $36,100.
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
Niche may be compensated by the third party lenders and others who place ads on the website. Niche is not a lender and does not endorse the products of these advertisers. Fees that Niche receives for ads do not affect the terms you may be offered by the lender you choose. There are many additional borrowing options available.
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.90 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.97 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.97 responses
Most Popular Majors
Elementary Education264 Graduates
Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies141 Graduates
Business Administration and Management105 Graduates
Liberal Arts and Humanities69 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.103 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.130 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.67 responses
University of Northern Iowa Reviews
The University of Northern Iowa is a smaller university, where you have a better chance of getting to know your peers and professors. There are a variety of clubs to get involved in that fit everyone's interests. If there isn't you can create your own club! I have felt more comfortable talking with my professors and truly have met some of the greatest people at this University!
The University of Northern Iowa is a great school to go to! I completed my undergraduate degree in education there and absolutely loved it. I have felt more than prepared for my student teaching experiences, as well as my first teaching job. I am now onto my graduate degree and couldn't be happier. I thank UNI for giving me the education I needed to be successful. You get the small town feel on a university campus that is second to none!
The University of Northern Iowa is the perfect size with such a positive community. The layout of the campus makes travel to classes and dining services quick and easy. On top of that, they have many services included in your tuition that lower costs for you, such as laundry, athletic events, and printing!