University of Montana Reviews

1,781 reviews
Overall Campus is beautiful. It’s large but not where you will get lost. The dorms are fairly updated and nice. Academic wise Most of the professors are extremely nice and helpful. I wish there were more restaurants/food options on campus though.
This university is absolutely terrible and I beg anyone reading this comment who wants to go to this university to seriously reconsider.You will frequently experience extremely LOUD , AVOIDABLE construction happening right outside your classroom or of the library during "dead week".I called to leave a formal complaint and was sent through a run-around of people and was eventually just able to leave a voicemail.I truly cannot express how debilitating this is and most of the time they could have thought ahead and scheduled it for a different time that wouldn't interfere with students learning.Expect to feel unsafe, given the run-around whenever you want something done, overcharged, unappreciated (they just changed graduation ceremony and even though so many people voiced against it all they did was send an email saying we know you are mad, but get over it), and just generally like you're education doesn't matter.Please, please, just go somewhere else and leave this campus to rot.
Teachers who are not super biased liberally or conservatively, little to no activism, time to learn instead of time to complain about oppressive systems. Job prospects, not tumblr and twitter fights.
Start Your Review of University of Montana
The campus and buildings are beautiful. You are nestled in a valley, surrounded by mountains that are snowcapped until late spring. Deer meander around the campus, and it's beautifully landscaped.
Another strong pro is how environmentally conscious this university is. You can't walk 10 feet without finding recycling bins, and all of the cleaning supplies are certified green and non-toxic.
There are a ridiculous amount of social events, completely free.
The university also holds the philosophy that diversity builds a stronger community. Diversity in the student body is championed heavily, and the general atmosphere is very accepting of all races, religions, and disabilities.
The University of Montana is a great place to learn and grow through the many programs that they offer and the diversity of the students and faculty. I enjoy the university because the class sizes are average so there is still potential for one on one learning and the faculty that I have interacted with care if you are learning and understanding the material.
I love the atmosphere of the campus its self. It is very open while staying close together. The professors here are very helpful and generous adults. Getting involved on campus with activities and meeting new people is easy and great to do on the weekends. You really get the whole college life experience when going here, even though it is not like a big city. There is also lots to do off campus, tons of places to explore. Just have to keep your mind open about this college.
I enjoyed going here for the years for my fine art degree and media arts minor. I am planning on graduate school in the future as well.
The main reason I love going to school here is simply the location and all of the outdoor activities around. There is great food and people and the campus location is perfect! You can climb to the top of Mt Sentinel or enjoy all that downtown has to offer just within a few minutes. There is also a great music scene with venues like the Wilma, Tophat, Kettlehouse Ampitheater, as well as many others. the campus is beautiful during all four seasons and their are plenty of things to do right here on campus. The business, education, and journalism programs are all top notch and have many professors and advisors who are great with helping with job placement.
The University of the Montana is very welcoming to new students. I transferred here at semester and all of the staff and professors have opened their arms to me. Love this school!
I attended UM as a graduate student in the English department. I received a 1-year TAship and am grateful to the university for the free tuition and the stipend while I taught Writing 101. The English professors at UM were quite good when I attended. However, the facilities of the Humanities building left a lot to be desired. Both the university and the Missoula area are overly passionate about the football program at UM, though it would be nice to see more money and devotion put toward the arts.
The professors at the University of Montana are amazing, they really care about their students and the subject they are teaching. Its really easy to pursue majors and minors in different fields, and get a really well rounded education. Unfortunately, the administration and student services really don't know what they are doing, residence life is really rude and unaccommodating, administration continues to mishandle money and cut programs that students want, and don't expect to get a lot of aide or scholarships from any other the colleges or the university as a whole.
The experience was pretty good. The professors were excited to be there which helped with the learning experience. The downside to this campus is the parking. If you were enrolled in the spring semester, the snow made it hard to get across the school. The advisors could use a little more experience when designing a schedule for incoming students.
The professors are, for the most part, quite good. One of the best I had is untenured, and, unfortunately, the powers that be don't like that. This is very irritating and quite unfair, as she is very good at her job (teaching A&P to med/pre-med/nursing students) and putting a tenured prof in that position would be unfair to the students; he/she would be unable to do research and still provide adequate instruction in this very rigorous course. My other huge peeve is that there is way too much emphasis on athletics, mostly football. I'm here to learn, and they seem to be quite good at teaching. The whole sports thing, especially since there was a legal scandal involving football players assaulting female students, needs to be scaled back, in my opinion.
The professors are great and are very dedicated. Some rooms need to be updated with at least decent seating and basic technology. Also, all of the professors need to be trained on the technology that they use in the classrooms. There are constant problems with teachers not being able to login or figure out something with the computer/projector.
I'm majoring in Wildlife Biology and minoring in Climate Change Studies at UM. Both programs are amazing and offer a lot of great courses. However, because of recent budgeting issues, courses are being cut and professors laid off, which is really frustrating. The administration, both for the whole university and within my program, seems to be constantly shifting. For instance, I've had a new advisor almost every year and I currently have no advisor. And mine program is one of the more stable and secure because it is a top program. Despite all the campus problems, I'v taken some amazing classes from wonderful professors. There are many experiential opportunities like research and internships offered here. The community is great and the location is beautiful.
I think more money needs to go into the academics rather than athletics. Specifically, the science department. Some of the equipment could be updated. The professors are great, however.
School funding has decreased dramatically while I've participated at the school. School has been cutting funds to programs and teachers, while building new infrastructure from donations.
Start Your Review of University of Montana
I love the small town atmosphere and class sizes. UM is 10 minutes from multiple trails, a lively downtown and welcoming community.
UM has a very active student body and is very integrated into the Montana community. It is often compared to CU Boulder in terms of spirit and culture. However, the smaller and more intimate campus provides more opportunity to apply your academics to your chosen career path. The most appealing feature of UM has to be the abundance of opportunity to participate in your chosen career path even before graduation. Missoula has just what any student needs and is available to give it if you look around.
I’ve had an awesome first semester at The University of Montana. I’ve met some amazing people and have loved almost all my classes thus far. I feel like I always have something to do or some friends to hang out with. I’ve had such a fun time and can’t wait to get back! FTC!