University of Missouri - Kansas City Reviews

1,221 reviews
I applied to several colleges, one of which was UMKC. I was accepted and tentatively enrolled in classes for the fall term. I elected to go to a different college and never made any payments to UMKC (other than my application fee). I assumed that they would forget about me as I missed the payment deadline for the first tuition payment. Wrong! In late December, after the fall term was over, I started getting phone calls from them saying that I owed them $3,000. They refused to correct the error and told me I would have to fill out a late disenrollment form. I did this (even thought the form explicitly states it has to be filled out by a certain date which had long since passed). Needless to say, my request was ignored and the phone calls kept coming. They upped the $3,000 to $4,500 (late payment fee I guess) and turned the bogus debt over to a collection agency. Suffice it to say, I would recommend not having anything to do with UMKC.
UMKC has a very beautiful campus and a number of degrees to choose from. The staff is excellent, the classes are great, and the student population is a good size.
UMKC has a great size, great diversity, great emphasis on culture and celebrates it. Some professors are really good at what they do and others seems to have no idea what they should be doing. Overall, I like it.
Start Your Review of University of Missouri - Kansas City
I had a great experience at UMKC. The graduate professors deserve much credit for making these courses exciting, real world relevant, and purposeful. For the cost of tuition, it would be difficult to find a better value.
Over all a good school in general. The academics is outstanding and the professors are very much so willing to sit down with you one on one to help you with anything concerning class work. The schools active level is ok, there not to much going on around campus but they do have small events for us college students to attend.
Professors are really helpful. this is a big commuter school, so without being in clubs/knowing people, there is no social life. Greek life is recommended to know about parties here. other than that the campus is nice and everyone if friendly.
The University of Missouri-Kansas City has a beautiful campus and they have so many resources. within my two years here I have been able to get experiences that I usually wouldn't have. For example, my anchor classes have required me to attend concerts and plays hosted by KcRep and the Kauffman Center. The activity on campus could be better but I enjoy learning here.
Great instructors, but definitely a commuter campus. If you want to get involved you have to be outgoing. There are quite a few groups to join but unless you are looking for them you won't hear about them.
I majored in Health Sciences. I enjoyed my courses and the professors but my degree is too broad. I recommend specializing from the get-go; major in something specific like Nursing (UMKC has a fantastic nursing program) or Law, Medicine, Dental, etc. However, UMKC is a great school and is very diverse. It's affordable compared to most four year universities. I would definitely reapply for Nursing or a master's degree program in the future!
I am currently only a freshman but I have gotten a decent experience so far. The students can be very competitive in your science classes but other than that, the school is very friendly and open to people of all types. We don't have a football team but that is okay with me because there is less partying and people can focus more on their academics.
The school is really about succeeding. There are so many tool available and ready to help you. Their diversity rate might be low on paper but on campus its largely seen. I would like the school to expand and grow further.
I love UMKC. They offer a lot of extracurricular activities if you aren’t an athlete for a very low cost! They also offer a school shuttle that transports you safely back and forth from the main campus to Hospital Hill, which is so convenient when I don’t want to drive all the way to one campus using my transportation. Oh! And can’t forget about campus police, they are very attentive and are always available when you need them!
I've been at this school for over a year now and the professors always bend over backwards to help you in any way, shape or form. I love that because college is extremely stressful, especially when things at home arent ideal. I love the student union and the fact that it seems like your printing allowance never ends. One thing i wish theyd add to the campus is affordable scooters to ride when your classes are on opposite sides of the campus. But hey, im an advocate for exercise! I love this school and the people that are in it. It's a family here.
I would like to see some more effective ways of teaching the teachers, if you will. Some of the professors have lost sight of what it is to be a student, especially a working student. They know the material so well and they need to remember that we have never seen some of this before.
I like how small the campus is and how small the classes are so you feel more like a student then you do a number.
I transfered to the University of Missouri-Kansas City this year and I have loved the change of scenery. The campus gives a nice college university feel without the strenuous walks in between classes. For the most part, the professors are very willing to help and are very easy to schedule office hours with. The university offers individualized study groups for the classes you are enrolled in led by a former student. The downfall, similar to many other universities, is that there is no visitor parking on campus, and this makes it very hard for family or friends to come visit. I also had a horrible experience with campus housing where we were forced to move out of our apartments halfway through the school year due to major mold and water damage issues throughout the building and did not get any reimbursement for the high cost of living we paid to stay in a mold infested building.
UMKC has some spectacular teachers and the campus is more manageable than a bigger university. It's mostly a commuter school which is nice for non-traditional students, however, traditional students can enjoy the experience just the same. I will say, as a transfer student, I was not prepared to be set back a semester or two because of system errors with transfer credits.
Start Your Review of University of Missouri - Kansas City
I took part-time courses here and had a great experience! Really nothing to complain about. Good faculty and the credits transfer to other schools fairly well.
I love the diversity of the student body and how close all the buildings are. There are several places on campus to study at and plenty of useful resources, like the Swiney gym, Miller Library, and the student union. I felt safe while I was there as there was great campus security.
I am taking ESL courses at UMKC. Teachers are very kind, they do their best to give students something. And diversity is very good, there are students from China, Turkmenistan, Saud Arabia, Oman, Yemen, Turkey, Brasil, Korea, Thailand...