Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneB+
- Campus FoodB
- Student LifeB+
UMKC is an above-average public university located in Kansas City, Missouri. It is a mid-size institution with an enrollment of 6,606 undergraduate students. Admissions is fairly competitive as the UMKC acceptance rate is 56%. Popular majors include Business, Liberal Arts and Humanities, and Nursing. Graduating 49% of students, UMKC alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $38,300.
University of Missouri - Kansas City Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Considered but not required
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Average Total Aid Awarded
Students Receiving Financial Aid
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.66 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.84 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.85 responses
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 59 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.107 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.133 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 70 responsesReport
- Great programs and professors31%
- Fun, diverse, great professors,welcome environment24%
- Fun atmosphere but professional when it counts11%
- People take it seriously, it is pre-professional10%
- Welcoming to traditional and nontraditional studen7%
- Good professors and classes, a fun school6%
- Great professors and classes, not a fun school4%
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.47 responses
University of Missouri - Kansas City Reviews
Absolutely love UMKC! The professors across all departments are fantastic and knowledgable about what they teach. The campus is beautifully situated in Kansas City. Also, very safe.
Before COVID-19 I had taken classes online and they went smooth and easy as ever. Switching to all online was a challenge but it worked out! Some online classes are all remote while some have proctored exams that must be taken on campus. As far as lab's online go, it could have gone smoother but nothing is perfect!
UMKC is very diverse! It's a great school that is up-to-date on technology as well as keeping the campuses up to date. They provide transportation for students between the campuses and provide several options for housing. Almost all the professors speak clear english and are easy to understand. It's a wonderful school for commuters but not truly meant to live on campus.