UMKC is an above-average public university located in Kansas City, Missouri. It is a mid-size institution with an enrollment of 6,760 undergraduate students. Admissions is somewhat competitive as the UMKC acceptance rate is 64%. Popular majors include Business, Liberal Arts and Humanities, and Nursing. Graduating 48% of students, UMKC alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $38,300.
University of Missouri - Kansas City Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Average Total Aid Awarded
Students Receiving Financial Aid
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.66 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.79 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.80 responses
Most Popular Majors
Liberal Arts and Humanities204 Graduates
Health Service Preparatory Studies96 Graduates
Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration57 Graduates
Computer Science54 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.102 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.128 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 65 responsesReport
- Great programs and professors34%
- Fun, diverse, great professors,welcome environment23%
- Fun atmosphere but professional when it counts12%
- People take it seriously, it is pre-professional11%
- Good professors and classes, a fun school6%
- Great professors and classes, not a fun school5%
- Welcoming to traditional and nontraditional studen5%
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.47 responses
University of Missouri - Kansas City Reviews
I have been at UMKC for a year and have loved every moment! I transferred to this university because of the area and the diversity. The diversity in students and areas of study are amazing. At my previous college, I did not feel as though I belonged; at UMKC I feel a sense of belonging and happy. The amount of majors you can pick from is amazing, not many schools offer a Criminal Justice major. They also have programs such as the 90+ program which is great if you are thinking about law school. Every advisor I have met has assured me with their knowledge on the courses and major audits. I feel good knowing every class helps me meet a requirement. The campus is right in the heart of Kansas City, this makes it so that everything is within reach. I have a shopping center, places to eat, museums, and much more around me. Overall, UMKC is one of the best decisions I have made.
The dorms are a little faulty, and it seems construction/focus to get these fixed to their proper setting may be 3rd priority at most. Otherwise, the food is great, the professors are better, and the people are the best. Everyone is very kind to eachother and understanding, helpful, and resourceful. Classes have Supplemental Instruction courses if you didn't understand something, and being next to the city, there is tons to do in your free time!
I majored in Health Sciences. I enjoyed my courses and the professors but my degree is too broad. I recommend specializing from the get-go; major in something specific like Nursing (UMKC has a fantastic nursing program) or Law, Medicine, Dental, etc. However, UMKC is a great school and is very diverse. It's affordable compared to most four year universities. I would definitely reapply for Nursing or a master's degree program in the future!