COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Although campus tours and in-person events are currently on hold, we still want to meet you–virtually for now. Our admissions team is available and eager to connect with you. We have several ways you can explore the university, and speak with admissions counselors and current students to help you decide if UMass Lowell is right for you. Learn More
- Academicsgrade B+
- Valuegrade A
- Diversitygrade A
- Campusgrade C+
- Athleticsgrade B+
- Party Scenegrade B+
- Professorsgrade B
- Locationgrade B minus
- Dormsgrade B
- Campus Foodgrade C
- Student Lifegrade B
- Safetygrade B
- Branch of
- UMass System
We’re excited you’re exploring UMass Lowell! There are countless opportunities available to you here. We can’t wait to tell you all about it.
First thing’s first: here is some background information.
UMass Lowell is a public research university ranked by “U.S. News and World Report” in its top tier of national universities. We offer affordable, experience-based undergraduate and graduate degrees.
We’re located in Lowell, Massachusetts (about 25 miles from Boston), smack dab in the middle of New England’s business and technology corridor. You can bet you’ll have countless options for internships, co-ops, service learning and research opportunities that will give you real-world learning experiences that employers across the globe look for in employees.
At UMass Lowell, you’ll connect with internationally renowned faculty whose passion for their courses is contagious. You’ll graduate with the hands-on experience employers look for. You’ll go into the world ready to make a difference.
University of Massachusetts - Lowell Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 65 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 81 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 82 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Business600 Graduates
- Information Science290 Graduates
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration227 Graduates
- Mechanical Engineering198 Graduates
- Psychology177 Graduates
- Biology137 Graduates
- Computer Science130 Graduates
- Nursing98 Graduates
- Civil Engineering97 Graduates
- Electrical Engineering97 Graduates
Manning School of Business
Business is about turning ideas into reality, bringing products to consumers and turning analytics into profit-driving results. The Manning School is housed in the Pulichino Tong Business Center, complete with a trading room, Bloomberg terminals and networked classrooms. Our students are in demand for internships and co-ops at Boston’s biggest companies, financial services firms and startups.
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 103 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life. 119 responses
- Very challenging (in a good way)19%
- Home away from home2%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 51 responses
University of Massachusetts - Lowell Reviews
Although I wrote a thesis as an online student, the on-campus honors students are the only ones who reap all the benefits and gain all the acknowledgement from writing theses; my department couldn't care less about all the work I put in, even though my advisor said my work was publishable. All 56 pages of this project went largely ignored.
On top of this, my work in all of my courses was strong enough to earn me a high GPA, but my confidence was diminished when professors in other departments called my writing pretentious.
My takeaway: UMass Lowell needs to give its online students more recognition and more confidence that they actually matter to the university.