University of Massachusetts - Amherst Reviews

3,536 reviews
I enjoyed my time at UMass Amherst. I was able to pursue two undergraduate degrees at the same time and remain active in student life, including student government and greek life. The campus was beautiful, the food was amazing, and the academics were challenging but interesting. I highly recommend this cheap, state school education (best bang for your buck).
I did not have any online classes and am unable to offer much guidance here unfortunately. I did have friends who attended some online classes and enjoyed them.
My only experience has been remote with the school, so everything I said in my overall experience still holds true.
Start Your Review of University of Massachusetts - Amherst
They provided none of the resources they said they would for freshman, with the year starting off remote. Professors also did not answer emails, and overall communicating with others at university was near impossible. Thus I have decided to transfer.
Terrible financial aid office. They do not get back to you in a timely fashion, causes an overwhelming burden of stress when you need assistance figuring out how to pay for college.
Online classes are not enjoyable, however learning is till possible. A few of my professors are very difficult to follow, so much review of the recorded lectures is needed. In person classes are definitely preferred.
I enjoy attending the University of Massachusetts Amherst online. This offers me a tremendous amount of flexibility not only in my schedule but also in the fantastic number of online courses available. I look forward to earning my degree while studying subjects that will benefit my future the most.
I loved the social experience. I didn’t like the huge lecture halls. Dorm life was wonderful and a must do in my opinion!
Some of my classes has small portions online. They were well run and easy to login to. Most of my classes had minimal online interactions though.
My entire 2020 Fall Semester was online classes. The lectures are pre-recorded; they can be watched anytime and however many times one wishes to watch them. Tests are either an hour or an hour and a half depending upon how many questions are asked. Midnight is the cutoff for turning in the test. Even if you are in the middle of taking it. It just either will not let you enter the test after midnight or will not let you finish the questions. Hence planning is key here. You do not want to procrastinate and take it in the last hour to have something unexpected happen like technology problems delaying the start to the point where you will not finish answering the questions by the deadline. Hard to meet people and make friends to form study groups with these online classes. It is not ideal for freshman who are at a new school trying to meet people and make friends. Maybe this setup will work for the upperclassmen who have already made friends and formed study groups.
The UMASS campus is all together in one spot which is nice because you do not need to spend time commuting around the area from class to class. The food served on campus gets five stars and is rated one of the best campus foods. The city of Amherst is reachable by bus which students board for free with their student Id's. There is plenty to do in the city; shopping and the malls are all in one spot and a bus ride of twenty minutes away. The library is the tallest library in the US with 25 stories and provides a beautiful overlook of the surrounding terrain of hills and valleys. What is missing from campus is the student population, the sports, the clubs, the parties, and the activities. COVID has canceled and closed all these things leaving the campus a virtual ghost town. There are only 1,200 students residing on campus this semester of the 30,000 undergraduate students attending UMASS. A distraction from the academics is not there. Students can roll their sleeves up and get to work.
Zoom university has its limits. UMass has defintitely tried to translate their normal campus events to an online version but its not the same. Really hard paying full tuition during this time but it is what it is.
I really enjoy a lot of aspects of UMass Amherst. From the excellent dining, outstanding music program, as well as the band program here, I really enjoy my time at UMass. My only complaints are the financial aid department is very slow and not very helpful for students in need. The UMass Football program is subpar and does not bring in very many spectators. The other sports, however, do an excellent job. The town of Amherst is cozy and has everything you need without big city living. Perfect college town. The dorms are a bit old, but that is expected out of such a large university.
Academic advisors are extremely helpful. Food is superb and the people are epic. Even now during Corona-time the school faculty are very helpful.

110% approve of this school.
I love how even though the school is huge, you can still have a very small school experience through the friends you make and what clubs you join. My professors during this pandemic have made themselves super accessible and genuinely want you to succeed. The one thing I would say is don't bite more than you can chew. The courses can get pretty busy with the readings but if you talk to your professors and TA's, they will help you make it work!
Start Your Review of University of Massachusetts - Amherst
I am not one who is meant for online learning. That being said, my professors have been absolutely fantastic with making this experience more comfortable for me. My teachers have made their syllabuses clear with expectations with online learning and our resources if we need help.
UMass Amherst seems to have handled COVID-19 effectively and made clear decisions that didn't leave students confused about the plan for the semester. So far, the professors and students seem nice, I wish I could be on campus.
All of my classes this semester are online and so far they are all pretty good. The professors seem to be patient and understanding. Sometimes the planning of virtual classes is confusing but the professors are learning as well, so we need to be just as patient with them. The school is giving us opportunities to meet people virtually which is nice.