1,685 reviews
  1. Baltimore, MD
  2. 4 Year

University of Maryland - Baltimore County Reviews

1,685 reviews
The campus size is perfect, all the classes are within 10-15 walk. Faculty are very warm and great. Lecture classes aren't that big in size where as a student you feel distant. Professors are always available. Though the learning environment is great, one thing that really bugs me is the parking arrangement. It is really hard to find parking spot, especially from 9 am to 2 pm. Some of the buildings need to get upgraded, technology wise.
The teachers are really supportive and educational from what I've seen during my time here. The students are very kind as well. I enjoy the chill environment within the school.
UMBC is a really strong school with great academic programs. You're studies are the most important thing at here. There are many commuters, but plenty of people do live on campus. A large majority of students live in Maryland. It takes a little extra effort than the average school to get involved and meet people. However, campus is wonderfully diverse and there are groups for everyone once you find them.
This school is a must for anyone interested in the science, math, or engineering department. The professors are willing to work with you and there are plenty of extracurriculars to get involved in. The atmosphere on campus is also top notch as it's not too small to feel claustrophobic, but it's also not too big to feel overwhelming. I immediately felt right at home here!
The UMBC community is really just one big family. I first came to UMBC in the Spring of 2016 as a transfer from the University of Maryland, College Park. Immediately I felt more at home at UMBC than I had ever felt at college before. That feeling was such a relief for me, I finally knew that I was in a place where I would be comfortable and be able to succeed in my Spanish language studies. A lot of people come to UMBC to study STEM majors, but their Humanities programs are fantastic as well. All of my Spanish teachers are so knowledgeable, so personable, and very accessible, all qualities very important to me (and every single other college student I know). I attend an Honors university, so the standards for all of my and everyone else's work is incredibly high, but we are always offered the support and guidance that we need to succeed, and for that I am eternally grateful.
So far, UMBC has been an amazing experience for me. I live on campus, which makes getting to class easier, as well as meeting new people and allows the opportunity to get involved around campus. UMBC is a STEM school, but I am a dance major. The arts departments at UMBC are growing quickly and I am glad to be a part of that.
I absolutely love my experience so far in UMBC. I have a handful of loving, caring friends, and cool, awesome teachers. The academics at UMBC is top notch, as a majority of the teachers have the student's best interests in hearts.
The professors at UMBC are very wise and amiable. All of their expectations are clear for the courses. The students and other faculty are largely willing to assist others in need. The SGA is very empowering because they directly work with the students to ensure particular goals are met.
For students who plan to major in stem courses, umbc is perfect because there are not a lot of parties or distractions. Overall, classes are hard but there are plenty of supportive teachers.
It was a great smaller state school where I felt that I got to know my professors or TAs more personally. There were only 3 engineering tracks but I feel well prepared for industry work with my degree.
UMBC offers many opportunities in- and out-side the classroom environment. With many staff members that get to know the students one-on-one. There are many ways to be involved in the community either in diverse clubs or research and internship opportunities.
The schools academics are decent if you're part of the honors college. But other than that the school is boring and dead. This school turns into a graveyard on the weekends. If you want to have fun and enjoy yourself and have fun this isn't the place, but if you're a commuter you'll love it here.
It's okay because the cleanliness is maintained by the maintenance people, who are great in the dorms but don't come into the apartments. As a result, the apartments are barely professionally cleaned.

The social atmosphere is pretty good, though, because it's easy to invite people over (mostly for people who live in the apartments). For dorms, it's harder because of the presence of desk staffers and the hassle to sign people in.
Again, it's what you make of it. It's not huge on campus, and no one will care if you choose not to join it. There aren't even than many Greek Life organizations anyway, and only 5% of the campus is involved in it.
No one pays attention to them, and we actually tried to vote for the student government association to spend less money on them--they didn't pay attention to our vote by the way.

The teams also really suck, they don't really win anything. We beat College Park at soccer once, and that was about it.
It's okay in that the classes are very challenging and really push you. There's also lots of chances to get involved in things on campus. What I don't like is the fact that the teachers aren't very good at their jobs--some of them are alcoholics who come to their classes/office hours drunk, some overuse the internet to teach their students and can't seem to actually teach by themselves, and for many classes, the TAs teach better than the professors do.
Since this is an honors university, any degree from here will be very highly valued.
  • College Sophomore
  • 6 months ago
  • Value
All of my classes are very educational and interesting. My professors seem to know alot and enjoy teaching any subject
I have never had a problem with safety or security. Campus security seems as to always do their jobs as I see them everywhere and never see anything bad
I do not currently live on campus but I have lots of friends that do and have seen their dorms. They are really nice and I plan on living here next semester
  • College Sophomore