University of Mary Washington Reviews

1,135 reviews
I think the saving grace for UMW, for me, is that many of the professors genuinely care for what they are teaching and how you are doing. The only reason I gave such a low score is because tuition has been raised every year to build new academic buildings, even though half of the dorms are closed down and full of mold.
I love Mary Washington and all that it offers, I took a college tour and the student leaders were very sweet and knowledgeable. I was able to ask all my questions I had to the students and received answers to them all. They offer a wide variety of undergraduate majors for college students and offer great supporting programs to plan and guide your way of life at college. From what I have explored and researched of this college, it is a great place to spend your time for a college degree. 10/10 Recommend.
Overall a good school. However, it's certainly not a big school. There is little to no party scene but the academics are good and the area is very nice
Start Your Review of University of Mary Washington
UMW is such an amazing & beautiful campus, & it's not a big school so it's easy to meet people and join anything you have an interest in. This also means you have more of an opportunity to meet with professors and have them remember you.
I have a spectrum of feelings about Mary Washington but I think the spectrum is inherent to learning and personal growth. I always felt safe because of the honor system, both with my belongings and walking to my car late at night. I felt all of my Mary Washing professors knew what they were teaching. However I had two adjunct professors both of those classes were very unorganized.

I loved many of the other students, the the concerts in Dodd, the greens and all the benches, and I LOVED the multicultural fair and all the events that were constantly going on.

I think the parking situation could be better as I had received quite a few parking tickets for unmarked areas. The Underground food should also go back to what they had in 2011. got worse after my freshman year 2011. My experience in Fredericksburg was exactly what I needed.
I am a third year transfer student from Germanna community college and from the orientation at Mary Washington I thought classes would be more difficult than community college classes. But that wasn’t true for all my classes this semester. There was one class where a professor poorly explained a very important project which caused a lot of confusion throughout the class, making it hard to do well on the assignment but other than that my other professor were very good. As for the campus, I found it very nice and the landscape is nice as well.
I went to UMW for all 4 years of undergrad. The campus was beautiful and the ratio of more women to men isn't noticeable. There is always something to do on campus thanks to the student activities office. More often than not the field will have an event going on every other week.
I love this school so much. I remember going on my accepted students tour and falling in love with everything about the school. The students and professors are extremely friendly, the rooms are very comfortable, and the food is pretty awesome. My classes are all intimate and I love it.
The University of Mary Washington is an overall great school, lacking typical college needs. Unfortunately, there isn't that much diversity, but most of the professors are very kind.
UMW was the perfect school for me. As a freshman who was undecided on my major, the liberal arts approach of UMW gave me a variation in classes which allowed me to choose which direction I wanted to go. The small classes allowed me to become close to my professors, which helped me get a into grad school and get a job shortly after graduating. The campus is gorgeous and Fredericksburg has everything you may need. If you want to go to big Project X/P Diddy style parties UMW is not the place for you. It is a small liberal arts school, not Ohio State. If you want to go to house parties (there will always be parties, trust me), hang out with friends, or hit the bars UMW is good for you. There is always something to do - the people who say otherwise expect fun to come to them rather than them go out to seek it. UMW went through a growing phase recently and has come out stronger than ever. I love UMW and would not trade my experience for anything. The campus food is not the best though...
Gorgeous campus, wonderful professors, fantastic local area, and perfect size. It really doesn't get any better than this.
I love the people and clubs that are offered at the school. The food is just alright but there is always something good to eat, you just have to find it.
My biggest piece of advice is to get involved on campus, it will make your time here much more enjoyable and worth while!
UMW is an excellent school that actually cares about its students and not bogus US news rankings. Professors are amazing and truly want to help their students. Students with mental health problems don't have to face unfair discrimination. I would recommend UMW to any prospective student in Virginia.
I enjoyed the University of Mary Washington because it met all of my criteria. Not once when I applied or attended did I hesitate on a single aspect of it. Fredricksburg is a wonderful little town with lots of history and good things for college students to do on the weekends. UMW, even though it is small, has plenty of things to do on campus and places to just hang out with friends. Going to cheer on friends at sports game or going to see concerts is one of the numerous things that I enjoy doing at UMW.
Being a student at the University of Mary Washington has been an amazing experience. The first thing you would notice is how beautiful and peaceful it looks. The campus is neither too big or too small. It is also very easy to make new friends. You would feel part of the community with lots of opportunities to join clubs. Mary Washington can support you with your career goals. Their advisors are very supportive and they even have a career center that will help you find a job or career. One thing that I wish Mary Washington have would be to have more fast food restaurants on campus for students .
UMW is the perfect sized school, where you see many familiar faces around campus, but are not constantly running into the same people. Due to the smaller nature of the school's size, many professors gain a more personal relationship with their students. One thing that I do wish would change is office of financial aid and their handling of the students accounts.
Start Your Review of University of Mary Washington
The campus is beautiful, everything is within walking distance, and I'm really enjoying my first year.
I was drawn to the University of Mary Washington because of the campus, student to faculty ratio and class sizes. I can say after my first semester all these have exceeded my expectations. The campus is always thriving throughout the seasons. There is always something to do on ball circle or someone outside sitting with their dog; it is simply impossible to not be social on such a beautiful campus. The student to faculty ratio and class sizes really makes your success in the classroom possible. I have developed ongoing and strong relationships with my peers and professors due to the fact that I am able to interact with them on a more personal level. That being said, getting involved on campus is more than doable. With club carnival at the beginning of every semester and clubs constantly being advertised, there is always something to join and at any time.
This school needs more diversity. As an athlete here I have nothing bad to say about athletics. Some professors were excellent, others thought I was looking for a handout without trying to get to know me. The food is decent, and the atmosphere is peaceful for the most part.