University of Mary Washington Reviews

1,105 reviews
So far my experience with the University of Mary Washington has been pretty darn good. Everyone is super friendly and most opf the teachers actually want to hekp you succeed in our school career. I'd recommend this sochool top anyone.
I love the campus! The people are all friendly and willing to help and the professors care about knowing your name!
I love the size of the college. It is perfect for those that are looking for a smaller community where you don't feel like just another number. The history of the area also was a factor for me personally. I have made life long friends here and I am only in my 1st year.
Review University of Mary Washington
I love this school! The small size is one of the biggest reasons that I chose to come here. The class sizes are small, so it is easy to form relationships with professors and to go to them for help outside of the classroom. The campus is beautiful, the facilities are excellent, and there are tons of resources to take advantages of. The only downside is that, if you are looking to join clubs, many of the clubs are not very active. I would not want to attend any other university.
I love mary wash. Its my home and I'd never go anywhere else, but i feel i should provide the negatives first. The on campus food is quite subpar, they have a decent number of shit professors(just talk to peers to avoid that) and some of their budgeting makes NO sense. Like building the UC, a building that is 4 floors, designed FOR students, and the only thing students use it for is to eat. The cafeteria is at the TOP of said building and the food is lile i said, subpar. Why i love the school, however- most of the staff is SO great, I've had a great time here. party scene is..decent. Beautiful town, lots to do, and great people. Very accepting and caring community. Our honor code is so strong-I've lost many things on this campus including a wallet with $100+ in cash in it, which was promptly returned to me. i have never felt unsafe since i got here. Glad i chose this school. Its a great day to be an eagle!
Located right in the middle of historic downtown Fredericksburg. It is a great campus to stay active and fit on while taking classes.
It is a great small school environment. Students are able to connect and interact with their professors, who are all great and eager to help their students succeed. Tons of resources on campus like the writing and speaking center as well as all of the offices in Lee Hall. Tons of clubs and activities going on on campus to keep everyone involved and busy. Campus is extremely safe. Everyone that goes here loves it.
would like to see more scheduling flexibility, especially when dealing with student athletes. Also would like to see more scholarships that are geared to the average hard working students instead of those only for top of the class.
Overall, a solid school that can offer a great education and well-rounded student life. Not for those looking for those seeking frat parties and keggers. There are many resources available to students and professors are readily accessible. In-state tuition is comparable to that of other state schools, though housing and dining costs are not inexpensive. Attendance costs are roughly $20-25K per year to attend full-time and live on-campus (depending on which dorm and required meal plan you select).

My primary gripe is that I do feel like the school has prioritized quantity over quality, making great efforts to attract new students with bright and shiny new buildings, nonstop campus tours, and marketing. Currently, there is definitely an excess of facilities given the current size of the student body and having print ads and TV commercials really cheapens the image of the school and threatens to tarnish its credibility and reputation.
When researching future colleges, I knew I wanted to attend a four-year university. I had looked into plenty of schools in state and out of state, but Mary Washington had always come back in my search. I’ll be honest, it wasn’t particularly glamorous to me at first, but once I finally visited
the campus I was convinced this was where I wanted to start my higher education.
The academics had a consistent reputation for superior quality, the campus is very regal, an there’s always something going on either on campus or off. The campus size is small enough to have a close knit group of friends early on in the semester, but still large enough that you’ll meet
new people even in your senior year. The surrounding area is full of life as well. Whenever I go downtown I always find some new treasure, like the restaurants with seating in the alleys, which is sure to satisfy the curiosity of any student to come.
Great school with awesome professors. The writing intensive requirements are a pain but really help to improve your writing skills especially if you are interested in majoring in the sciences.
I have been accepted but I have not yet attended as I am still a Sr. in high school. I have a friend who goes there and I have visited the campus. It's awesome. I knew it was where I wanted to go the first time I saw it in person.
The campus is beautiful and the professors really care about your success. The atmosphere is very calm.
The University has a great home feeling to it, the faculty here makes you feel at home and they're very helpful when you need help with an assignment. There are some professors that are even willing to help you with assignments even if you're not their student, but if they teach that course too, they're more than happy to help you succeed.
I like how close the buildings are in proximity to one another and how most teachers want to see you succeed. I do however want change in student-faculty interactions outside of class. RAs are having complications with buildings and being paid properly, students are being charged too much, offices are closed too early and no one is within reach when they need to be
I really love that you always have the feeling of being in a close knit community and that you all feel like family. Also, I was really amazed at how people knew many other individuals when walking on campus walk and would call them by their name when walking. Overall, Mary Washington is the best school anyone could go too that wanted to get that home environment feeling.
I've had the experience of a life time. It's not the dream school that people think of when they plan for college, but it's grown to be a dream. I love the academics; the professors teach with the perspective of using the information in a career not just a classroom. The campus is beautiful. The University's weaknesses are diversity of staff and student body. Also The allocation of the school's budget in recent years has favored infrastructure that has had it's necessity questioned. With the arrival of a new president both of these issues are at the top of his list from what I've heard.
Review University of Mary Washington
So far life at Mary Wash has been great! Of course, not everything is going to be hunky dory, but everything in life has its drawbacks. UMW provides extremely nice faculty and staff, the students themselves are (for the most part) wonderful and inclusive, and the campus itself is GORGEOUS. There are an immense number of services for students to take advantage of, as long as they are willing to put forth the effort and look for them. I cannot imagine how I would have fared had I chosen a different school.
The University of Mary Washington is a nice small school, but when it comes to school activities and things to do on the weekend the school lacks in this. It also can be very hard to find clubs to get involved with if not a designated club fair. Overall there are great people and great feeling of community.
UMW is a good place to be a big fish in a small pond. The small class sizes allow you to personally connect with committed professors. With ambition, it is relatively easy to become a leader on campus in almost any area of interest. One area of improvement for the school is diversity. The culture on campus is very white, and the school lacks connection with the surrounding community. However, these are things students could play a role in shifting; conscientious student activism is present and growing at UMW.