COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
The University of Iowa Office of Admissions has suspended all on-campus visits, tours, and information sessions indefinitely. View updates and additional information about Novel Coronavirus and admissions visit events. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Valuegrade A
- Diversitygrade A
- Campusgrade A
- Athleticsgrade A+
- Party Scenegrade A+
- Professorsgrade A
- Locationgrade A
- Dormsgrade B+
- Campus Foodgrade A
- Student Lifegrade A+
- Safetygrade C+
The University of Iowa is one of the nation's premier public research universities with 32,948 students from 114 countries and all 50 states. Founded in 1847, it is the state's oldest institution of higher education and is located alongside the picturesque Iowa River in Iowa City, one of America’s most beloved college towns. Home to one of the most acclaimed academic medical centers in the U.S. and the world-renowned Iowa Writers' Workshop, the UI offers more than 200 majors, minors, and certificates to help students create their own path of study.
University of Iowa Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 167 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 209 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 209 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science508 Graduates
- Finance408 Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities347 Graduates
- Business339 Graduates
- Psychology254 Graduates
- Nursing224 Graduates
- Marketing195 Graduates
- Communications190 Graduates
- English189 Graduates
- Economics184 Graduates
Health Sciences at Iowa
At Iowa, discovery is a hands-on job. We don’t just talk about trying to cure cancer or diabetes or blindness. We get in the lab and try new treatments. So whether you’re interested in medicine, pharmacy, biology, nursing, public health, neuroscience, or chemistry, there are countless ways to participate in direct, hands-on research at one of the largest teaching hospitals in the country.
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 268 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life. 305 responses
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 127 responses
University of Iowa Reviews
I am also the Vice President of a student org on campus called CHAARG. The university has been very helpful in helping us plan online/small in-person events that line up with COVID-19 guidelines. Overall, I have enjoyed my experience with online school through Iowa!