1,999 reviews
  1. Honolulu, HI
  2. 4 Year

University of Hawaii at Manoa Reviews

1,999 reviews
The campus is very small for a public college school. The classes are quite interesting. Most teachers are really great and knowledgeable teachers. We do not offer as much diversity as a mainland school could offer. The Athletics here is very good. There are also intramurals for you to join if you are just looking for a side sport to keep you busy on your free time, but it is also a good way to make friends. The dorms are okay, they are not the best. The residence assistants are always helpful. The food is really good for those who dorm. There is not much options of food choices after 8pm. The area is close to town. Hawaii has a really good bus system which is included in your tuition and fees, so free for college students. There are a lot of parties, but you have to get involved in order to hear about them. The campus safety is really good. If you give them a call at night, they will drive you to your dorms with no questions asked.
I love the campus atmosphere here! The people are friendly and the weather is obviously beautiful! Only thing is the housing is worn down and old and the cost of living in Hawaii is extremely high. Other than that I love the social science department and the wide range of interesting classes that are included here. I know that viewpoints of the campus are conflicted. It just depends on your major and what you are looking for in a campus. UH is not a big Greek school, but you can definitely find entertainment in the city of Honolulu and events sponsored by the school or the few Greek fraternities that they do have.
Overall, the school is a very diverse atmosphere. It's filled with both locals and non-locals, therefore making it a comfortable learning atmosphere for everyone.
Living in Hawaii is an experience all on its own, but for me it was enjoyable for about a month. Everything is expensive and being a young white female, I could only go certain places by myself. Bus system is great, but takes about 2 hours to get to the airport or to any other beaches besides Waikiki or Ala Moana. There is hardly any parking anywhere if you want to bring a car to the island. Dorms are old and bedbugs are a huge issue. Campus was older but very lush and green. There are only two dining halls, a campus food court, a Starbucks, and a Jamba Juice; the food got old and redundant very quickly and there was rarely anything healthy on the menu! Students get roughly 7-8 emails a week about moped/car thefts and break-ins. Overall, I loved it for about two months, but I realized how hard it is to make it by over there with little to no money and no real independence. I was ready to move to a nicer, more modern campus after one semester.
University of Hawaii is a hub for all cultures, especially the Hawaiian culture. The campus is clean and new, including a Starbucks, Jamba Juice, and Subway. The fitness center is top of the notch, made up of windows and containing hundreds of workout machines/equipment. The university has quality and friendly teachers who make it clear that their purpose is to help the students become more successful. The tropical location also adds to the university's attributes. With all of this in mind, the dorms are not as clean or modern as they should be. They are pretty small and contain little to no storage space or air conditioning. Overall, UH Manoa is a diverse school that is in touch with culture.
What I like where the teachers and students, but what I didn't like was the fact that because I transferred to Manoa as a Junior in the Fall semester 2016 I had to wait till almost the last day to register. I also don't like the fact that parking passes gets distributed fast. I think there should be a set of passes for the Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores and Freshman to hand out.
Overall pretty good. There is a very diverse range of students and majors. Some professors are very good and some could be a lot better. More food truck options would be nice to have.
I like it because its a very diverse community . The downside unfortunatly is the lack of student support and help in acquiring funding.
Overall, the people here at the University of Hawaii at Manoa are probably what is best at this school. Everyone is nice and willing to help you when needed.
The campus is beautiful and well kept. I appreciate all the resources that is offered and provided. In terms of tutors, TA offices, clubs, etc.
I enjoy the everyday setting of the school's location; close to the rain forest and also close to the beach. The people here are all pretty mellow and it is pretty easy to meet new people. Everyone here definitely has school spirit, even though our teams are not all that great, but it makes going to the games extremely exciting. I am a freshman, but I can still definitely say that the professors here at UH are extremely passionate about what they are teaching and so it makes the class a lot more interesting.
UH Manoa campus allows for students to have many experiences to find themselves. The campus offers a large range of classes, has many programs of study, helpful professors, and has a diverse population of both students and staff. One thing that I would like to change would be the prices of the campus food. There are many food establishments and food trucks around the campus, but I personally find it to be too expensive to buy from everyday.
I love this school! I have been attending for 3 years and in the beginning there was construction going on but now that the finished product is here, I think the campus is absolutely beautiful. The warrior recreational center is such a great place to work out. I'm extremely satisfied with the campus, the food, and the people. It is such a diverse campus and I feel like I still see a lot of people I know everyday.
I like how well the teachers go through the material. The pace is not too fast, but its hard enough where I have to put effort to get the grades I want. I am only a freshmen so I might have gotten lucky with my teachers so far. The campus is pretty nice but is widespread. To accommodate this, there are shuttles that run through the campus and even some cities near by.
Every class I have been in has had less than 30 people. The lack of massive lectures makes it very easy to get to know your class and teacher. Campus is beautiful, and the dorms are expensive. But the proximity is great. Plenty of bars very close to campus if you need to unwind on the weekend.
I loved the school and the campus, along with the people. It was great to spend my school life there and the teachers were very kind and understanding. There were also so many majors to choose from that helped figure out what I wanted to do, but when I wasn't in class the student social life was very fun and diverse.
Frear housing is ridiculously expensive. It may be due to the recent reconstruction of the building and the use of air conditioners (other halls do not have air conditioning). It was brought to the media's attention last spring of a certain infestation of rats and prevalence of mold in certain halls.
  • College Sophomore
  • 6 months ago
  • Housing
There are many booths at the campus center which try to lure students into the sororities and fraternities, but I am not interested enough to be a part of a sorority.
I'm not part of any athletics at my school, however I believe that many students can benefit from playing especially when trying to make new friends from all around the world.
Summer sessions were great for getting to know my way around the school, especially for this fall semester. My school is unique because it's a melting pot, just like our Hawaii state. Manoa has numerous clubs, organizations, and sports we could be a part of. If we need money, there is also a great range of on- and off-campus jobs.