University of Chicago Reviews

1,179 reviews
UChicago is a very unique and rigorous place. It is for people who love learning for the sake of learning and think of everything theoretically. Therefore, it has this very unique, cerebral culture, and that means student life looks different here. The best thing about this place is that everyone is passionate about something, usually many things, and that shows in the many different student groups that exist. Professors are usually also full of passion for their subject. Also, with UChicago being internationally known, it draws students, professors, and guests from around the country and world, meaning your opportunities to meet people and to be at the forefront of many conversations are almost unparalleled. However, you have to deal with an obscenely high price tag and an administration that is uncommunicative, uncaring, and makes life very difficult for students. In my opinion, going to UChicago was incredibly valuable, but it came with many frustrations.
I had online classes during the pandemic. Professors were dedicated to making things work, and overall, my mostly discussion-based classes went surprisingly well online. However, UChicago normally does not offer online classes.
Despite the abrupt shift to online learning, my professors adapted their courses to a remote format seamlessly, making use of recorded lectures and Zoom breakout rooms to facilitate learning. By far the most important thing was that staff and professors were all aware that for a lot of us, school was the last thing on our mind with all that was going on in our communities and world. My professors, across the Biology, Art History, and Spanish departments, were all incredibly understanding and accommodating and went out of their way to ensure that students were doing okay beyond academics.
Start Your Review of University of Chicago
My favorite part of UChicago is definitely its academics -- students are constantly encouraged to debate, rethink, and most importantly, listen. I was able to take a graduate student course as a first-year, and was amazed by the level of respectful and intellectual discussion that was possible! Students and professors alike are motivated, caring, and inclusive, and there's a strong sense of community everywhere you go, from the UCPD officer on the street corner to the dining hall staff. There's truly something for everyone, from Student Action to University Theater to Circus Club to Greek life. Regardless of extracurricular interests, however, there's an undeniable bond in the love of learning and open-mindedness that ties everyone in UChicago together.
It was difficult, personally, because I had to start my Economics major the first quarter we went online. Some professors were not accommodating, at all, to our circumstances and expected quality work that would be difficult to produce in an online environment, especially considering the situation with the pandemic.
Everyone seems very driven, but this allows for a hyper-competitive environment. Because writing and core fundamentals are stressed in the education experience at this school, most students are eloquent speakers and great writers.
Of course there was going to be a dip, and many professors are unforgiving about the circumstances. However, as this should reflect my experience I will note that my professors have been overwhelmingly accomodating and for that I am very grateful.
The College is a great place to expand your knowledge, however it is a bit polarizing. Depending on your major and your engagement with the Housing system you may find that you're lonely or surrounded by pirhanas for classmates. However, I have not found the college this way. I've loved every *very hard* moment there and I strongly wish I was there right now and not noticing a terrifying spider on my wall. Thanks Corona.

- Final Note: Financial Aid is very generous, everyone whose families earn under 125K/year get full tuition and below 90k gives you a host of benefits and half your room/board covered. So don't be scared off by the price!
Wonderful teachers, students, and facilities. An intellectual environment second to none. A jewel amongst American universities.
Attending UChicago is like falling down a tree except instead of hitting branches you hit knowledge.
I loved the commitment to intellectual rigor and how the school allowed students to prioritize theory. The location in Chicago is not the best because the university acts like an (white, affluent) enclave in the middle of majority black and brown neighborhoods. I do think that the prioritization of theory can have some downsides, especially for those who graduated in the humanities and social sciences.
U of C has a huge library, tasty coffee shops and amazing professors. People like to say that UChicago is where fun comes to die, but the student life and fun is found in things like Moda fashion shows and other super interesting student groups. There actually are parties here because of Greek life. The campus is beautiful and nice to walk around.
I've really enjoyed my time so far at UChicago! It's a great school overall, and the academics and people I've met are my favorite part. This school is perfect for students who love learning. I think there could be more of a focus on student mental health services.
Love the diversity of thought and the freedom to express them. The core really focuses on interdisciplinary learning, and I recommend it to anyone who would want to experience learning about various disciplines (or to anyone who is undecided about their major!)
University of Chicago is an excellent university. It has an international accredited study abroad program and amazing research opportunities.
The community that the dorm system forms is unbeatable, especially coming in as a first year not knowing anyone else at UChicago.
A challenging academic environment, but with a lot of helpful professors and teaching assistants. The campus is beautiful, and accessible to the city, and there's always a lot to do around the school. Dorms are a bit old fashioned, but very cozy, and the house culture at Snell-Hitchcock is amazing. There is also a lot of support from career and academic advising, as well as a lot of resources to help students.
Start Your Review of University of Chicago
The University of Chicago is the forefront of innovation, sparking creative/curious thought processes within students.
Great school full of hard working people - however, sometimes the professors arent great (For my major, biochemistry).
This is the place for the intellectually curious, for the smartest nerds in the world to solve problems together, and the place for the quirky geeks that want to head into academia or wall street.