University of California - Merced Reviews

1,868 reviews
Im currently a senior at UC Merced. the campus is beautiful it has so much heart. The valley really grows on you. My experience here has been great the diversity on campus makes everyone feel so welcomed!
Being the newest of the UC's, UC Merced has done a great job at helping students financially and educationally. It has way to go, but it seems they are fit to handle their incredible future.
This school is not in an ideal location, in fact its as far from ideal as you can get (almost). It is in the middle of nowhere, Merced is a developing town and I have no doubts given 20-50 years the school and local community will resemble davis. Besides being in the middle of nowhere it is 2 hours from the Bay, 2 hours from Sacramento and an hour and a half from Yosemite National Park. If you like quiet this school is for you however, the lack of local activities also means the students party alot. This place grows on you however, as many students who considered transferring(myself included) change their mind as they call this place home. There are an abundance of clubs and student orgs, you just need to find your niche.
Start Your Review of University of California - Merced
I like that everyone is friendly and it's easy to start a conversation with someone new. The campus is small and it makes you feel like your at home.
Campus is very isolated, so it is quiet and serene most of the times. Living on campus was alright, except that the beds are a bit uncomfortable and the food isn't the best. There are plenty of on-campus events to attend to if you're not sure about where to go in the city. The campus is pretty safe, but there is some bike theft near the gym and AOA, though theft in general is pretty rare. The university has its own bus system which reaches most areas of Merced. Bellevue neighborhood is the best area to live off campus because it has access to most of UC Merced's buses. City bus is also free to ride. Academics here are pretty nice. There are a lot of classes to learn about various lab and fieldwork techniques within STEM classes. It is a small and close-nit community, so it is quite easy to access any homework or assignment help, including the professors.
The professors I have had so far have been very pleasant and made coming to class very enjoyable. I would say that the campus has services mainly directed towards Hispanic people so other races don’t have as many resources.
It was something different to experience coming from Los Angeles, almost like a culture shock. It took me a while to adjust until you meet people with the same drive as you. There is a lot of room for growth and opportunities for students to implement a little something of themselves in the university. I personally had a hard time being a first-generation student but I was able to pull through it. The university still has a lot to add on, thus it is mostly research-based for now. Overall, I am glad for the experiences and growth through my academic career at UC Merced.
I enjoyed my time at UC Merced. I made great friends and found what I am truly passionate about. Although UC Merced did not fulfill all of my needs as a student, I has mostly positive experiences that helped shape who I am now.
The campus is new and still expanding. The resources and support for students is outstanding. The teachers are excellent and truly care about you as an individual student. While not a glamorous location in the central valley, the cost of living is very reasonable. It is only a short drive the bay area and to the beautiful Yosemite Nat'l park. The school offers many activities and clubs for students. It's the perfect place for me to fulfill my educational goals while not putting me in a financial bind upon graduation.
I have currently started my second year at UC Merced and I am loving the experience here. I am originally from the Bay Area, so moving to a small city was a very big change here for me. UC Merced offers a lot of help to its students, which is very appreciated for its high level courses. UC Merced is determined to make its students successfuly and well prepared for graduate school.
Love it, really proactive professors and staff. The environment is so calm and relaxing and allows for studying pretty much anywhere.
UCM has some amazing teachers that are willing to got above and beyond to help their students. There are so many students that are helpful both in the class and outside the class. The school offers so many opportunities and are helpful in helping for you to find what fits you.
Honestly, it's a good area to focus on your school work. The food isn't bad, but it's not all that great. We did just get a new dining center though and our food truck vendors will fill that space, which is good because the vendors have spectacular cuisine. There is a lot of construction until 2020, but it's not bothersome. Most professors are good, but there are the occasional duds.
A new addition to the Merced community and the first educational research institute to be built in the 21st century. In the process of expanding its campus, UC Merced creates a promising and welcoming environment for its new and prospective students.
It’s an all right college. The issue is that a giant amount of the students are in their fifth or even sixth year. The classes are a very narrow selection, but the professors are very variable. The surrounding area is almost all farmland, but downtown Merced really is one of the most crime ridden areas in California. I actually started carrying pepper spray when I sojourned off campus. There’s not really a big party scene and sports are either soccer, basketball, or volleyball and they’re not very well known. Diversity is immense there. You’ll find a very mixed student body racially and the biggest LGBTQ percentage in the UC system.
UC MERCED is thee Bestest. only thing is that its higher ups are corrupted and only care about MONEY. academics is good, but what makes it GREAT are the professors. The food is literally so bad in and around the campus, but really don't let food be the deciding factor because you should cook for yourself anyway. Now them parties. oowweeee. what happens in Merced stays there. hehe. You honestly gotta make friends and get yourself out there and them invites will be flowing in. Just remember that your EDUCATION should always come FIRST. Join clubs, Greek life, school gov, anything, just don't sit back and bash, be involved and leave your mark on the campus.
High quality though under development, high UC standard for 2018, underrated though the food isn't that great
Start Your Review of University of California - Merced
The school is growing and becoming better and better. There is a bunch of ways to get involved and opportunity is there just look.
Something that I liked about this University it's that it has a somewhat small campus and is open to many ethnicities. Most importantly, that it has my major which is Psychology. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything about this college. Everything is wonderful about this college.
Merced is a really nice college that is surrounded by such beauty. The air is so nice and fresh and it feels like if your at the beach at some points. The dorms are small but really nice and the view is just wonderful. The campus is so pretty so is the area around the college.