1. Fairbanks, AK
  2. 4 Year

University of Alaska Fairbanks Reviews

I like that is is a local school and it has some great programs offered. All the professors I have had have been great.
I am currently in the pipeline of the Rural Human Services moving on to my Bachelors in Social Work and I absolutely love it! I've graduated with honors getting my AA and intend on graduating with the same as I approach my Bachelors. Classes are cohort style with indigenous people from all over Alaska.
Only change I'd like to see is more internship done in lower 48 reservations to see how our other villages/reservations are doing their work, so we can bring it to our smaller communities.
This university is great for certain subjects like Native Alaskan languages and art, Petroleum or Mechanical Engineering or Archaeology, but not so great when it comes to physical sciences like Chemistry. Their Biology program is decent depending on the direction you want to take. The campus is a bit scattered and the shuttles should run more often in the winter. The campus dining could really use an upgrade as well. The winter is very long and dark, but overall it is a decent place to get a degree.
Great student to faculty ratio, and hands on instructors! Would like to see better supplies and equipment
I absolutely love many of the services offered by UAF, such as the Rural Student Services who offer help with academic advising, connecting with groups, free food on campus, and tutoring. I also appreciate Student Support Services, who offer assistance to first generation college students, low income students, and students with disabilities. They also offer tutoring, academic advising, scholarships, and free food and refreshments.
This is a small campus where people keep to themselves for the most part. Don't expect parties or large events. The college is especially geared towards engineering for the mining industry, but does include other degrees.
The University of Alaska Fairbanks has one of the most diverse group of students around. From race, to culture, to religion UAF has a bit of it all. Makes a great atmosphere to learn not only about our studies, but also the world through other students. The thing I'd like to see change most is the amount of sexual assault that happens on campus. Which is shockingly high for the volume of students living on campus.
All the faculty are really helpful and seem like they care about your success. Career services are also really helpful for looking at resumes and cover letters.
This University is nothing to get excited about. The academic environment is not outstanding and there is not an atmosphere to achieve high standards. There are some good professors and some bad professors, it's just the luck of the draw when you sign up for classes. Almost the entire school year is winter, which can be difficult leaving you very unmotivated and apathetic towards your education. There is little to no student life involvement, everyone keeps to themselves and the University does not involve the students well in clubs, activities, and student events. There’s a new food center but the food is not good. The school is very inexpensive, low tuition costs, which makes it more appealing to go here. The dorms are average, shared bathrooms for every floor, mid sized rooms, but there is no student community within them. Fairbanks is not an exciting place and has no feeling of a college town. There are not many athletic teams here, and the few that there are aren't very good.
I love UAF! Coming from a community college, it definitely feels more like a community, which is nice. Of course there is no perfect place, so there are things that could be better. I like being involved in campus activities, but I wish there were sororities and fraternities that students could join. But, overall I'm glad I came to Fairbanks for university!
My graduate level classes have brought together students from a wide variety of backgrounds, with stron academic abilities. The variety in interests resulted in a much more rounded educational experience.
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is a wonderful school for people with strong character. The location is very unique, with winter temperatures as low as negative forty degrees Fahrenheit and daylight as short as four hours. This subarctic environment is ideal for hiking and skiing on campus and in the surrounding wilderness. Full-time students are given free passes to a local alpine ski area. Professors are friendly and invested in the success of their students. The science and engineering programs are some of the best in the country and provide many opportunities for research and job training. Intramural sports are a popular activity. The Honors Program is recommended, it allows students to enroll in advanced classes with a small group of peers and offers scholarships and counseling. Some people find Fairbanks to be a challenging environment. The cold and darkness can lead to severe seasonal depression. Sexual harassment is unfortunately fairly common.
For me UAF has been great. The classes are interesting and enjoyable and the professors are very knowledgeable and helpful. Campus life tends toward studious. The is a variety of extracurriculars. If you are living on campus the weekends are quiet.
My experience in the University of Alaska Fairbanks is quite amazing to be part of it. The professors of this university are very nice and helpful. What I like about this university is they do so much for the students who need anything they need to ask for.
The Niche website is extremely helpful to me on my path to gain a higher education. It would be nice to see an improvement in the application process, though I do appreciate the amount of scholarships available throughout the website.
The professors here are great. There are challenging classes that help you grow in your academics. The campus is very clean and tidy.
I don't think UAF has a big greek life on campus. I just recently found out they even had a greek chapter.
I am not into sports nor do i pay too much attention to the sports programs going on on campus.
I think UAF is a great school, however, I think that some advisors should be more open to students who want to approach school differently. Some students do not want to take 15 credits a semester because of working for a living and I think schools should be okay with that.
I loved going here as the classes are smaller and the instruction is very one on one. When I took German, my teacher made the class dynamic and engaging. The math department had amazing tutoring and even their online classes had live assistance if needed.