University of Alaska Fairbanks Reviews

All of the professors I have had so far have been amazing at teaching all of my classes. Everyone is so nice and its a really welcoming environment. The university has a lot to offer in ways of helping students, between the shuttles that will take you anywhere on campus to the writing, speech, and math labs that can help you with your classes. The University of Alaska Fairbanks is an amazing school and I am very happy to be going there.
I have never had a problem where I couldn't find the help necessary to fix it. For my first year of college I was able to take classes at another University of Alaska while still fully pursuing my chosen major for Fairbanks. The campus itself and the area surrounding the campus is beautiful, even in the winter.
I really like that UAF is a close community. There is a lot to do around campus to help with the cold and dark winter months. Professors are personable and want you to succeed. The only thing I would change is that there is not many options on times and days to take a class. You have to register for a class whenever it is offered that semester.
Start Your Review of University of Alaska Fairbanks
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is an excellent college, where you can have fun and get an education all at the same time. I have been going there for about two year now and think the professors are great. I have gained a plethora of knowledge. The curriculum is challenging and you have to study hard, but the reward pays off. I hope to continue my education there.
I loved that the professors were laid back. They give you time to turn in any missing assignments, correct exams, and are there to help in office hours when you need it. What I'd like to see change is the campus food, because sometimes I get tired of having or seeing the same food everyday.
I like how the University of Alaska Fairbanks has rural campuses so students in those communities still have access to their education, tutors, and advisors.
I love UAF! It was a lot of Natives on campus so I wont get homesick. I love the scenery especially the sunset. The classes are flexible and the food is amazing because its all I eat and anything I choose. I recommend this university to many alaskan natives.
This school excels at the sciences, though most people don't believe the math department is up to par. The student population is an interestingly weird one. I think that just might be Alaska talking, as Alaska attracts some of the oddest weirdest people. Not necessarily a bad thing. I love a good amount of the professors. They love what they are doing. There is not very much to do in Fairbanks. Having a car is vital if you want to get around. The buses will work in a pinch but they can be unreliable. If you want to have fun while you are here, get into winter sports. UAF gives you free admission into nearby SkiLand!
I appreciate the location of the school in Fairbanks. The campus is set up in a hill, so the views are gorgeous. When the sky is clear you can see the Denali mountain range. The school is taking part in bringing awareness and change on sexual assault and gender-based violence. There are some good professors, but from the few classes I've taken thus far I feel that there is a sense of "just meet the standard" not an overall strive for excellence. But I believe that is something they are working on.
My new advisor is amazing. He was able to actually help me graduate. I had issues with my previous advisor but once I changed departments I was finally about to short everything out and we are good to go now. It is a shame that I lost so many credits in the university transfer when UAA is supposedly a sister but it doesn't matter now that I'm gonna graduate.
University of Alaska Fairbanks just might be on the top of the list of 1 of 3 universities in Alaska. I love the diversity of our school where people with unique backgrounds could join together and make our school an amazing environment. I would highly suggest UAF!
I really enjoy attending the University of Alaska Fairbanks because It is really great campus and has a good sense of community. the teacher seem pretty good so far. The dorms and food are okay. One bad thing about it is that it is very cold here the -20's are not at all uncommon and it can get down to -40 occasionally.
UAF is a great institution for STEM programs. However, one of the major appeals when I was applying to university was the school's affordability and willingness to provide a variety of scholarships. In recent years, tuition has soared (increases about 5% each semester), but the resources have stayed the same and several programs have even been cut. If you're there to study science, that's great because there are research opportunities everywhere and the faculty are generally really open to taking on undergraduate students in their labs. However, those wanting to pursue a degree in the liberal arts are probably better off sticking to UAA.
Big disadvantages to Fairbanks: it is COLD, DARK, and housing is expensive.
Big advantages: The students are wonderful. Fairbanks has a fairly active student body and everyone is usually kind and supportive. The faculty are also typically really happy to help you in any way they can.
The University of fairbanks Alaska is a well run University. There are multiple social opportunities, although i do think there could be more. I would also have to say that the school is very welcoming and reassuring. There are many resources to get help when it is needed. I think they could open things up and offer a bigger range in class options. Overall i really enjoy going to UAF.
It's an okay school, honestly depends on what you are majoring in since it is pretty biased towards science majors like engineering and biology, particularly wildlife biology.
I moved to Fairbanks a few years ago looking to engage in my community. Lately in my academic career I've been searching for a way to make it as a non-traditional student. University of Alaska Fairbanks advising worked with me to get things rolling in a way that is condusive to my lifestyle. For people who are interested in the Arctic life, a thriving art community, and a forward thinking college town, I would highly recommend UAF.
I liked the small-town feel, where many people are connected through mutual friendships/classes/interests. The campus and community were diverse though with constant new faces as well. New students coming and going at the university, as well as new faces coming and going from the military bases, made for a fun and adventurous experience.
Start Your Review of University of Alaska Fairbanks
As a returning student I see a different focused student body (a very large population of military) but considering the town it does not come as a surprise.
Now that I am going for a nursing degree I find myself more frustrated than ever with advisors.
Being one of many nursing students not one advisor says the same thing about entry into the program and none truly know anything of it. All the other nursing students I have spoke to agree with this thought. It makes you feel lost while trying to apply for a very competitive program.
The school has closed their baccholer of microbiology and masters of engineering, 2 programs that pulled a lot of outside students to this particular university. While doing this they raise tuition, make class times very difficult to attend ( you better not have a job) and complain of low enrollment. We have already 2 consecutive years predetermined for tuition raises and the hint we have to cut programs if the school cannot generate anymore money.
I chose the University of Alaska Fairbanks because it was affordable and the community was amazing, welcoming and fun.
I am frustrated by the constant changes to the staff and to my degree. I have had my degree requirements change at least 3 times in 5 years. Not only that but classes that were in my original degree path don't exist any more. I could request that they keep the degree path I enrolled in but there is no way for me to take the original classes because of staff and budget cuts.