University of Alaska Anchorage Reviews

1,401 reviews
This year is my freshmen year and I love all the help I can get. There are so many programs that benefit the students at UAA. My experience has been great and the orientations that I went through in high school really helped me have a sneak peak before I started college at UAA.
The small class size encourages extra help from professors to everyone who needs it. The campus also encourages students to use the tutor program, which is helpful to people who need a more one on one time. However, the office staff can come off as a little off put to some students.
I had a terrible experience at University of Alaska Anchorage. I was on the ski team for the whole year which was amazing and helped me make lifelong friendships. However, apart from athletics, UAA has nothing to offer any student who is mildly social. This school is only good for people who don't want to socialize, like doing things on their own, don't like to party, and don't mind gloomy weather 24/7.
People on campus aren't remotely cheerful or happy at any time. Most of the students commute and are older at UAA so there is no student body or school spirit of any kind.
Start Your Review of University of Alaska Anchorage
The University of Alaska at Anchorage is an amazing college where bright people pair with bright teachers to collaborate and solve our communities problems. Alaska's largest university is here so that we can develop a stronger, smarter community for our generations. And they succeed in doing that.
Experience is so far good. Amazing faculty member and professors. Everyone is so helpful. The only change i would like to see is more club and their activities and as a winter state we need more indoor stuff.
Well, I first went to college for my freshman year at Salish Kootenai College in Pablo, MT. I really liked it there. All the instructors were very helpful and really went out of there way to assist you.
At the University of Alaska Anchorage, I was always confused, lost, and most of the students and staff were prejudiced. I tried sending an email to one of the instructors asking if he can slow down a bit or even stopped by his office to talk to him. It's like he didn't even care. Students are there to learn, not to feel unwelcome at a university. I really don't think that I would even give one star. A university is supposed to be a professional place. And go way out of there way to assist students. It was nothing like that. I'll be attending another university, but, this time on-line. I would NOT refer anyone to UAA, not at all.
The University of Alaska Anchorage has been a good place for me to pursue my degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management. It offers over a hundred undergraduate programs and dozens of graduate programs. Most of the professors are very helpful and try to assist their students to succeed in their classes. I am involved in one student club, the Logistics Association, which has less than ten members, but we are able to schedule several, fun activities throughout the school year. There is an exercise gym, basketball gym/volleyball court, ice skating rink, and swimming pool. Intramural sports are available for students who aren't on a college 'pro' team.
Things that could be improved:
The pay-to-park stations have given me and other students trouble. Also, they don't give you the option to pay for precise blocks of time.
The outdoor trail system is limited.
Overall, UAA is a decent school with many academic and extracurricular opportunities for students.
I really like the variety of student activities and leadership opportunities that uaa offers. The free food during summer classes is also a big plus for me.
I do not like the astronomical costs and fees taken from me for things that I do not use. Parking price is also really high but taking a bus or a bike during winter is not an option for me due to the distance that I have to travel to school, so I do not have a choice but pay for parking.
University of Alaska is a great school for international students, out of state students, and in state students. They have many resouces and opportunities. The nursing and dental programs are one of the top programs in the US and we get many students that come here for them.
The University of Alaska was my first college experience, and I was unsure of exactly what to expect. I enjoyed attending this university. It offered all the amenities one would expect. There are places for students to eat, hang out and study. I would say the two prominent points I was dissatisfied with, and would like to see change, is that the university had inadequate parking space. Secondly, I'd like the university's board stop increasing tuition and keeping it at an affordable rate; ideally reducing the rate, but I have serious doubts that that will ever happen.
UAA is overall a great school. I have learned a great deal and I have progressed significantly in my education and my plans for the future. However, the funding is not handled well and programs like sports (with little interest from students) are better funded than theatre and art (with higher interest from students). Instead of providing more necessary resources for students, they build skybridges. Parking permits are outrageous and parking is extremely limited.
The University of Alaska Anchorage are coming up with new programs to help Native American Students with financial help and academic resources. One thing I would change is free washer and dryers for the dorms.
The school is great and my fellow peers are extremely helpful! I enjoyed being able to connect with professor as much as I have with my fellow classmates. One thing I would like to see is maybe not sending out the same email five different times.
Over all the University is average. Most professors are knowledgable and help full but there are many that are absolutely terrible. The advisors I dealt with don't have a clue about the programs they are administering and most all information you have to find on your own and develop your own course outline.
I like the professors at this college because they seem to care about the success of their students. I also like the location that the college is in, because it is a short distance from where i live.
The University of Alaska Anchorage deserves much praise on it's diversity and accessibility. The staff is very helpful and it's not hard to find and get what you need. The programs are another area of quality UAA holds. There are a vast number of programs and groups to join and be a part of. The one critique I have is the amount of degrees available. For example, biology is a very vast subject and unfortunately, it's also one of the very few biology type degrees you can get; which doesn't give leeway for specialization.
It is very easy to make close friends and the small class sizes allow you to have a lot of one on one time with your teachers.
Start Your Review of University of Alaska Anchorage
I am a junior at UAA and will transferring out this semester. Overall my experience has been less than desirable. I have had several really good teachers but the majority really don't care and have willfully told an entire class of students that. The advising is just awful, I can never get a straight answer and despite petitioning they would not accept my credits from other universities. Teachers have also been known to give out arbitrary grades. I regret spending my time and money at this university. I highly recommend looking at other options before committing to UAA. If you're transferring into the school you will more than likely be set back and if you're going into the university as a new student than expect it to take, on average, 6 years to get your degree instead of 4. There have also been several stabbings and attacks during school hours and students were never informed of it.
The campus is beautiful and easy to navigate. Most of the faculty is very helpful and supportive. There are great student resources such as student tutoring centers.
It offers a pretty average education for a cheap price. The location is definitely the weakest aspect. Alaska is a cold boring place (Anchorage in particular.) there is not much of a party scene or a high quality student living outside of the campus area.