Tufts University Reviews

I was both a student and professor here. Outside of a handful of professors who really had a life changing impact on me, my overall experience as both student and employee were mediocre and unremarkable. The school is average on many levels in terms of its vision, outlook, and offerings. One thing that is not average is the cost to attend, which is astronomical. For students considering this school, I would look at schools which have a lower student-teacher ratio and that are more affordable. Please don’t go into debt for an education here.
I feel like I am truly able to be myself here on campus. The friends and connections I've made on campus will last a lifetime and I'm really grateful to go here.
After my first year at Tufts, I feel deeply engaged in the community and strongly connected to many academic departments. I quickly formed a great group of friends and continued to make others throughout the year. Tufts student body is big enough that there is meaningful diversity is thought, personality, and interests, yet it’s small enough that I never feel too disengaged from the community. I went to a rigorous private high school and took many APs and university classes, but Tufts has been significantly more challenging. With that said, there are many resources to help you, and my professors always were happy to provide support. One of my favorite parts of Tufts is its strength in research, and I have found it very easy to reach out to faculty and get involved. I think Tufts offers something for everyone, but remember that nothing comes for free. You must work hard, but in the end you will gain knowledge, opportunity, and connectedness among yourself the university.
Start Your Review of Tufts University
Not too big, not too small - the perfect community! Many clubs and sports to choose from, and there are almost too many classes to pick. I love it there & I would encourage anyone who likes a close knit community to attend. The partying isn’t crazy, so if one were to be into heavy drinking and lots of parties, Tufts would not be for them.
The campus and the surrounding area is full of diverse options for hanging out, socializing, and relaxation. Although the academics is very difficult within the school, the help received by outside sources and fellow students really enhances your experience at the university.
I could not be more happy with the experience I’ve had at Tufts. It is a very demanding academic institution but also provides us with the cutting edge of research and the best professors, so you know why so much is expected of you. Additionally, Tufts is always expanding and improving itself, and the passion that the administration has for heightening what the school has to offer has given me so much confidence that Tufts is not only an elite college but also still on the rise. I am definitely proud to be a Jumbo!
Excellent professors and student body full of passionate and intellectual people. Nice campus, decent facilities, great opportunities for research, internships, and study abroad.
Classes were decent, however, the student services department was extremely unhelpful and dishonest. Expect to receive almost no guidance on steps to graduate.
The most surprising thing about Tufts is the people -- I remember going on college tours how every tour guide mentioned that the people are amazing, but I never took that to heart because it seemed cliche and I did not know how authentic it was...however, Tufts is the real deal. I have never been in an environment where every person I meet is so friendly, curious, accepting, and interested/appreciative of your hobbies/extracurriculars/passions. Tufts is a place to thrive, explore your interests, and take risks - very happy here!
The atmosphere at Tufts University is great. The students and faculty are so kind and willing to help with any problems. The location is amazing because it is not downtown, but it is close enough that you can get into Boston quickly. The classes are really interesting and you are able to take classes that interest you.
Tufts University has been a welcoming community that has many opened doors for my future. It has become a comfortable home away from home for me to grow and expand my knowledge. I equally enjoy the students and faculty and have never had any conflict. Tufts has been the perfect place for me.
I enjoyed visiting Tufts University. It had wonderful, modern classrooms and an open, non-cramped campus I could fall in love with. There are a variey of majors, including a Verterinary Medicine major, which I plan to achieve.
I love Tufts, however they do not do a good job making you feel important! It is really hard to get into classes and the dorms are gross. However if you can suck it up and focus on how smart the facility is, it is worth it. The people on campus are all so nice, however doing a a pre-o is a must if you want to make friends. The food is great for campus food, and easy to find things with allergies.
I am a sophomore engineering student at Tufts, and I'm really enjoying my experience so far! I personally have found social life to be perfect for me, and I am surrounded by incredibly intellectual, driven students. Teachers are a mixed bag, especially in the intro engineering classes, but for every subpar teacher there are two or three really caring ones that are willing to meet you halfway if you reach out. Diversity is lacking but seems to be improving grade by grade, and surrounding myself with people from diverse backgrounds has not been too difficult.
As a freshman, I’ve found the people at Tufts to be extremely approachable and friendly. Everyone seems to look out for eachother rather than the competitive nature expected at some top schools. Campus is beautiful, socially it is a lot of fun, and academically it is incredibly stimulating. Involvement in research is extremely available (even as a freshman).

ps the whole “quirky” thing really scared me before coming to tufts - not that different is bad, I just wanted to fit in. It’s more of a school wide running joke at the fault of poor admissions marketing years ago. While the students are diverse in many ways (this being one of my favorite things about the school), “quirky” is not an honest overarching description of the student body b
As a freshman at Tufts, I am constantly blown alway by endless opportunities available to undergraduate students at various academic departments, student-run organizations, and Tisch College of Civic Engagement. Students are here to learn from a wide range of perspectives and always listen carefully to one another to reexamine their thoughts. Even in today's political divisiveness, I find Tufts students relatively open-minded and tolerant to perspectives and thoughts that might be contrary to their own. Furthermore, as a student who plans on majoring in International Relations, I am always struck by how organized the program is here at Tufts. Professors and students are experts in their field, and I can easily see future diplomats and leading scholars in my classroom. There are conferences at the Fletcher school almost every week where leading scholars and researchers come and speak. I love Tufts!
As a graduate student in Tufts University's Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning Department, I am enrolled in the post masters Certificate in Advanced Graduate Studies specializing in Urban Justice and Sustainability. I am able to pursue this program at Tufts in the Boston area even though I am a practicing planner residing and working in Roswell, NM. The faculty in this program are exceptional. The student colleagues are also working professionals with planning and other backgrounds such as law and education. I love this program because we are exposed to literature and ideas from many different fields. The assignments make us think as we attempt to articulate our ideas on a variety of community based social justice and sustainability issues and policies.
Start Your Review of Tufts University
Tufts is a place like no other. A diverse population of students and faculty, who all have the same dream - strive for excellence. An inspiring and forward reaching academic drive ensures the students unlock their full potential and succeed in achieving their goals to create a solid foundation for their future. The warmth encapsulated by the entire community at Tufts makes each student part of the Tufts family; an irreplaceable feeling. Finally, the world-class teaching and faculty make Tufts stand out from the crowd, as a school with exceptional standards in all realms.
It's been 4 weeks here and I'm actually really enjoying it. The only complaint I have is with myself. I'm just getting really lazy.
Amazing school. The classes are all incredible, and the professors want you to succeed. You are taught things that will last a life time, not just book smarts that pertain to the certain subject - each discipline has a global and worldly focus. The food is amazing, dorms are being renovated (some are super nice!) and every student I’ve met is incredible. Couldn’t recommend it more.