1. Kirksville, MO
  2. 4 Year

Truman State University Reviews

Truman is a good school but not diverse at all. If you're not white, you're going to feel extremely out of place if you're coming from a diverse area as 80% of the student population is white, 6% are exchange/international, 3% are African American, 2% are Hispanic/Latino and 1% is Asian. So be prepared to hunt down other ethnic students. Another thing about being ethnic in Kirksville is there is no beauty supply and some of these people really just let the Confederate flag fly so...watch out for them. Don't leave campus without a friend at night. Other than that, the food is 50/50. Dining halls generally kinda suck but the food in the SUB is good if you're willing to pay a little extra.
Truman State is one of the absolute best deals for a college education in the country. A top-notch liberal arts degree for under $10,000, lots of scholarship opportunities, and class sizes that rarely exceed 30 people. I couldn't ask for a better place to get a fantastic education.
Truman State University is a lovely college. There are many opportunities for success on campus and has a very high return on investment. The diversity on campus is very minimal, and could be improved not only by implementing programs to encourage the sharing of culture but also the mingling of those who have a different background than themselves. The campus is very beautiful but can still be updated, the city of Kirksville leaves a lot to be desired but there are still several things to do. Every single one of the professors I have encountered have left a positive mark on my education and I will forever be indebted. Overall Truman State University is an amazing place to get an education.
Review Your College
I have yet to attend a class at Truman, from my college visit the buildings are close together and smaller than other campuses. The class sizes are smaller, which means more time to receive help from the teacher. They also help you to find a job in your major after you graduate. I think that it is a great college.
My experience at Truman State University has been amazing. When I was a Freshman, everyone was very welcoming. I knew Truman was the right school for me because the campus was beautiful, had a home-like feel to it, was a smaller sized school, and had a well-known nursing program. I also came here for the academic challenge. The academics are challenging, but the professors are very helpful. Every professor wants the best for their students and enjoys getting to know each student. In addition to the academics, I have also become involved in several organizations including a sorority, community service clubs, clubs related to my major, and the Truman State cheer team. Through these I have developed multiple strong friendships.
If you are considering to pursue Truman State University to receive your degree, please think about applying and scheduling a tour.
I love TSU!! Great professors and high quality education! Tons of clubs/activities to join and give back to the community. The dorms are clean and I feel kind of like living in an apartment. Even though college is a stressful time, everyone is supportive. The only thing I would change is the location. Kirksville is not real big, but does have enough stores and restaurants to sustain a college a student.
I always tell people I never fully grasped all I learned from Truman until I graduated and began working with college age students. Students at Truman are extremely hardworking, dedicated, and intelligent individuals. The faculty continually foster learning and growth in their students by relying on critical thinking, application, and research. Students are encouraged to participate in faculty research and with low faculty-student ratio, students are able to get to know their faculty if research isn't for them.

The faculty and staff at Truman care for the well being of the students and encourage them to thrive. I know that I would not be the person I am today without the education and life skills I learned and developed while I was there.
Incredible academics and a great campus atmosphere, but leaving campus and trying to find fun in Kirksville is near impossible. The value of the academics for a low price make it worth it.
I recently finished my first semester at Truman. Personally, I feel that the school is a great fit for me. The school size is small enough so that I feel like I can actually make a contribution and have the opportunity to participate in activities that would be more difficult at a larger school. Additionally, I have had no problem making friends here. The classes are difficult, but still manageable. Overall, I would say the only downside about the school for me is that it is three hours from Kansas City which makes for a long drive if I want to go to the city. Additionally, the food is not the most amazing food ever, but it is reasonable.
I am very happy with the school. The dorms are great, the food is pretty good, and the area is good, there are several parks and lakes in the area. Also there are a lot of clubs and opportunities. The campus is relatively small and easy to get around on.
As a student of Truman State i'd love to change the atmosphere and have the campus adopt a stronger sense of community .Other than that it is a great school with amazing professors who are willing to help if you reach out.
Truman really is a school for academics. I feel as if I have worked harder than ever before. However, the social scene at truman is lacking.
I had a great time at Truman. The campus is great because it is really easy to get involved in organizations and the organizations themselves are very involved with campus. My classes prepped me well for my PhD program and I was able to graduate debt free!
Truman has a community of driven students, concerned staff members, and a myriad of organizations that all work to develop and challenge each other to become our bests. This is a rigorous university that encourages every interest of each student and provides an environment to grow, learn, and serve. Best decision I ever made.
Great campus, friendly people, professors eager to help. Dorms are fun and food is pretty good, lots of options. Tons of activities to get involved in, something for everyone.
I really enjoy Missouri Hall and so far so good.
  • 7 months ago
  • Housing
You can do it if you want, but no one is forcing.
Review Your College
Truman really is an academic school.
I am enjoying my time on campus, there has been plenty to do every weekend; even Labor Day weekend when there was barely anyone here! I would choose Truman again, mostly because it has what I need, not always what I want. And that can be a good thing! Budgeting is very easy to do when there is barely anywhere to spend your excess money!
I like to live on campus at Truman. Dorms are clean and people who live there are friendly. If you live on campus, it is also easy to go to places around campus such as Convenience store, etc.
  • 8 months ago