1. Hartford, CT
  2. 4 Year

Trinity College - Connecticut Reviews

Trinity college finds strength in small class sizes, caring professors, and interesting classes and material. However, safety is lacking as is variety in social life. The college administration is difficult to work with and it seems like the college has difficulty budgeting. The new president is great and the acapella scene is hopping.
Outstanding school. Great academics and I don't know anyone who doesn't feel the same way. While the school is located in Hartford, historically a dangerous town, this shouldn't keep students away from here. I have never felt unsafe here, the campus security do a great job of making sure the campus fells safe and secluded. The teachers genuinely want their students to succeed and the small student body allows the teachers and students to have actual relationships which is something you wouldn't find a bigger institution. If I had the choice to transfer to any another college bar none, I would stay at Trinity. The close nit community and the overall kindness of its students makes Trinity truly unique.
Living on campus is okay... I sometimes get really bored of the same environment all the time... too many drunk people around during the weekends and very high music on the hallways. The social atmosphere is extremely divided between rich kids, international students, African-American students, athletes, etc... The tuition is extremely expensive but they also offer generous financial aid opportunities if you demonstrate your need. The campus architecture is gorgeous and it's very pleasing to walk around on the quad and just hang out with your friends. Overall, I think living on Trinity's campus should be somewhat similar to living on any other campus. What really marks the difference is the strong social division.
  • Housing
Most of the courses that I have taken at Trinity (Bio and Chem courses especially) are challenging but very interesting at the same time. Most of the professors I have had so far have been very kind and helpful... I always met with them during office hours before any exam. However, the best thing has really been the small class sizes...there is an average of about 20 students per class, which makes it very easy to develop personal relationships with the professors. Just one small thing... if you need/want to take Chemistry, DO NOT take Prof. Moyer... he has been my only bad experience with a professor (too old and grumpy hahaha). Other than that, academics are really one of Trinity's greatest strengths.
So.. I lived in North and used to walk alone at 2 am from the library to my dorm and nothing ever happened to me. There were always police officers during the way; however, I do accept that I was kind crazy to do that and that the correct thing to do is to call campus safety to take you back to your dorm. I understand that the surroundings are dangerous, but I have never ever felt unsafe on campus... I feel like Trinity is like a bubble in a sense.
Honestly, I am not very involved in the athletics at Trinity because I have never been good at any sport; I am just the kind of girl that tries to go to the gym constantly and maintains a balanced diet. However, I am aware that Trinity has one of the best squash teams in the nation, and the athletic facilities for squash and every other sport reflect the college's interest and enthusiasm in providing its students with everything they need to succeed. Moreover, I have heard athletes' complaints about how little support and attendance they get from the rest of the students on campus during games or competitions and how they feel that Trinity urgently needs to boost its school spirit. Unfortunately, I do feel that varsity sports (especially the squash team) overshadow intramural sports, and that's the reason why some of my friends and others who are interested in practicing a particular sport just for fun have had trouble finding one that doesn't require such a serious level of commitment and responsibility. In my opinion, if Trinity pays special attention to inviting more students to join intramural sports, then perhaps those same students would start supporting more those who are involved in varsity sports. My recommendation for anyone at Trinity would be this one: it doesn't matter if you are a great athlete or not, please, please, please, attend and support the other athletes on campus! They sacrifice a great deal of their time to represent our college and that should not be taken for granted. Lastly, and especially if you are not excellent at any sport just like me, at least try to workout at the gym or swim in the pool once per week; they are extremely well equipped and would contribute to keeping you both physically and mentally healthy!
The first semester at college was definitely difficult. Being an international student, I experienced cultural shock and felt homesick throughout the first few weeks. Also, I was not emotionally prepared for the amount of work I was required to do. However, I soon became used to being extremely busy, got new friends, got involved in a spiritual youth group on campus, and got to love my classes. One of my favorite experiences at Trinity has been to be able to constantly meet with my professors and create personal relationships with each one of them. Without lying, all of them have been extremely caring and have helped me decide which courses to take each semester, have explained me any doubts I have had before or after any exam, and have already offered me multiple research opportunities for the next years. Being part of a small college like Trinity and being taught by professors that know me by name and not solely by face is just really something wonderfully unique that all students should value and take into consideration when applying to college.

However, every rose has its thorn, and Trinity is not the exception. The international student population at Trinity is not well distributed. One just needs to enter Mather (Trinity's cafeteria) to be able to observe one big table full of Asian students and another one full of African students. But what about those students from Latin America, Europe or Oceania? There are surely some of them, but they are just so few that it's almost impossible for them to create a knit community of their own. I am not going to lie... I have had some tough moments with this social and cultural isolation. Nonetheless, this experience has offered me the opportunity to interact more with American students and learn from their lifestyle and perspectives on various subjects. This last point, along with its strong academics and small student-teacher ratio, makes up the reason I would choose Trinity again if I could do it all over.
Events are held for the whole campus, but I feel like it is the same type of students (who their parents are and how much money they have) who go on the most desirable intern/job placements
  • Value
I would like an environment where I can be pushed more in and out of the classroom. Aside from student population, if your into that lifestyle Trinity has you can have a great time pursuing your degree with knowledge professors.
If your not use to city suburb environments then you may feel uncomfortable walking on the perimeter of campus especially at night.
Depending on where you live, the quality of living can be vary greatly. Being in a sub par dorm puts you at a much greater chance of getting a dorm you desire the following year
  • Housing
The athletes and rich kids run the greek like so it can be a never ending type of environment if your looking to get a break from it
Great atmosphere at the events for the support of the teams however outside of the their sport some athletes walk around like they are D1 athletes.
The school is full of the same type of people for the most part. The diverse (small group) population of students socialize with them selves.
It's pretty valuable and useful.
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
The athletics at Trinity is okay.
So far, my experience at Trinity has been great, and I cannot wait to go back!
Strong liberal arts college that encourages learning and curiosity, all to prepare students for careers.
Very easy to get in touch with alumni and use the Career Development Center.
  • College Senior
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
There are dangers in college, but Trinity's administration works hard.