The College of New Jersey Reviews

1,216 reviews
TL:DR - I will never recommend TCNJ to ANYBODY. EVER. NO MATTER WHAT. I had such a terrible experience, and would have rather donated all my tuition money to charity so at least someone could have benefited from the thousands of wasted dollars. 100% not worth it unless you can go for free, and even then, it's questionable. Do NOT go to this school if you are completing undergrad as an Adult Learner (aka you have a full-time job, rent and bills to pay, etc). Do NOT go to this school if you are looking to become a Web Developer/Designer.

Go to TCNJ facebook if you want to read my full review. This site only allowed 1000 words.
The overall college is great, but the demands for certain programs are too high. The education program here is very prestigious, but forces one to be a double major. The overall atmosphere is welcoming, as the majority of the staff and students are friendly and helpful. In regards to people who work in various offices such as Records and Registration, they are not very helpful. The college is good, but they have things they can improve on.
TCNJ is a great school if you're looking for a school with small classes and some pretty great professors. The best thing about TCNJ is probably the small classes, since you feel obligated to show up. And if you show up to class, you'll probably do better. The professors here, for the most part, are also pretty great. But if you're looking for a school with a more urban setting with a lot of things to do around town, then TCNJ is probably not the answer. It's a pretty quiet setting, but people usually go out to Princeton or Philly if they want to go to a nearby city.
Start Your Review of The College of New Jersey
I like the overall atmosphere. It has a private university feel at a public university price. I also like the focus on academics. The average student is more focused on doing well in school than most public universities I've visited. The internet can be a bit slow at times though and the vast majority of the campus is white and middle class.
I've been in TCNJ for one semester and it's been life-changing. I'm more social than I've ever been in my life, which probably came as a result from befriending people on my floor pretty quickly. The major I'm in (Interactive Multimedia) is a perfect fit for me!
If you're looking for a school that has a great balance between academics and social life, this is the one for you. Though it wasn't my first choice, it truly is a hidden gem. It's the perfect size; classrooms are small enough to provide one on one attention from the professor, and you're likely to see at least 5 of your friends walking to class. If you're having a rough week, that's ok; there's always the weekend to look forward to. You can expect parties every weekend from either sports houses or frats, as well as other cool events sponsored by CUB during the week. One of the biggest mistakes that freshmen make here are not giving the school as a whole a chance. A lot of people who are unhappy with the social life or DIII athletics immediately rush to transfer to Rutgers. This school is what you make of it. Once you find your group of friends, which is so easy to do here, you will have the time of your life. I don't regret a single thing.
The College of New Jersey, while difficult, offers a rewarding and exciting college experience for its passionate students. The campus is a close net community of about 7,000 students allowing for professional and personal relationships. Students spend hours in the library preparing polished reports, absorbing study material, or collaborating in groups on research projects, and are well rewarded by the extensive care of student organizations. Even with numerous outlets for students, some student hit a wall, the tutoring center and writing center provide support for students to not get discouraged while trying to obtain success, however if a student does not wish to seek tutoring many professors gladly open their doors to students for questions, collaborations, support and extra help, I have never once seen a student left distressed on purpose. What is most wonderful about TCNJ is that the student is given the environment of a big school without the overwhelming numbers.
I like the positive atmosphere and the student life. The environment is very inclusive and friendly. There are many clubs, sports, and Greek life organizations to be involved in. I also admire how prestigious and rigorous the academic programs are. They effectively prepare students for future success. The residence life provides very comfortable and clean living conditions. One negative aspect of TCNJ is that the school does not provide many options for majors. It is also difficult for students to explore different options because they are not allowed to apply undecided, and many courses are restricted to those who are in a particular major.
Overall, I love TCNJ. The classes are relevant to your major from day one freshman year, not general education classes for two years. Most of my professors have been excellent and truly care about their students. Some facilities (freshman dorms especially) are outdated, but they are working to update the campus.
I loved attending TCNJ. It was a great size, very well-respected and prepared me well with a liberal arts education. I had the chance to take on new challenges and leadership roles. It is on you to make the most of it, but the resources are there.

However, there were trends toward tightening up regulations that made it less like a college - major restrictions and rules were set on homecoming, for example, that have made it so those over 21 and those under 21 can't even be in the same area. We need to trend back toward trusting students to make smart choices and stop pseudo-babysitting.
TCNJ is very diverse and focuses on academics but they offer a lot of different oppurntunities to relax from all the studying.
I like that TCNJ is a smaller school and the classes are more interactive and you're not just a face to your professors. I wish TCNJ had more school spirit, though.
I love the College of New Jersey. To be honest, I only chose to go here because I'm instate and the tuition was much more affordable than the other universities I was looking at. But once I started, I know I could not have made a better choice for myself. As an education major, TCNJ has an excellent reputation for producing exceptional teachers, which I was really happy about. I made friends almost right away, and the campus is beautiful. If I could change one thing, it would be the location. There's just not a lot to do in the surrounding areas, but they do provide a free bussing service to other areas to make up for it.
I just finished my third semester at TCNJ (current sophomore) and am in the school of Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science. Overall experience has been very good. Great professors, fun and diverse student body, and many ways to get involved on campus. Amazing school for an amazing price! If you live in the state of New Jersey, definitely give TCNJ a look!
Every single person you meet is unique in their own way. You can always learn something new. People here are extremely nice, intelligent, and determined to succeed. The Professors truly care about you, and you are able to get help if you are struggling.
I love the culture of the college of New Jersey. Classes are very challenging, but most professors are very helpful. One thing I wish would change is the overbearing administration over Greek life.
The housing faculty at the college is very inconsiderate and does not care about a student's health. Also, the food at the college is very bad for you and is disgusting. Do not come to this college, it is worse than a high school.
Start Your Review of The College of New Jersey
My experience has been positive thus far at the college. The small class sizes are amazing at TCNJ and really help to get you to know the professors very well. Lots of opportunities are provided through the college.
I am currently attending The College of New Jersey and I absolutely love it. I lived on campus for one year and now I commute from my home in Northern NJ. Since my first major is Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and my second Psychology, I have mainly spent my time in the Education Building and the Social Sciences Building. The professors here are incredibly intelligent and love to get to know the students as more than just a number. This is mainly due to the small class sizes, which I believe is one of the benefits of this institution. The professors are willing to work with you outside of class because they truly value your understanding of the subjects. I am continuously motivated to become a future educator by the professors that I have had and I can't wait to continue on in this career. I always feel safe when I am on campus and although the food isn't amazing, it is much better than other colleges that I have visited! Overall, I love TCNJ and I'm happy to be here!
I transferred to TCNJ form a community college and I think it was an excellent decision. The classes here keep me busy enough so that I forget about all the stresses of being alive.