Tennessee State University Reviews

1,510 reviews
Over the summer I visited multiple HBCU’s, one happened to be TSU and I fell in love! The campus was so open offering a nice scene of trees. The tour was great to we had a tour of the whole campus besides the dorms that’s something I wish we would’ve seen. After my visit to Tennessee State University it’s one of my top choices and may be going there in Fall of 2019.
Tennessee State University is kind of a good university. They allow you to choose what you want to do. There are some things that need to be fixed according to some areas of the campus, but overall it's an okay zone.
I'm so glad that I attend Tennessee State. This university may not be perfect but it has been a great experience. This school makes an effort to keep students coming back each semester. I am an out of state student and this school is very affordable to attend. This school holds everyone accountable when it comes to grades and behavior. They strive themselves in ensuring students graduates in 4 yrs and are able to attend graduate school and being marketable in the workforce.
Start Your Review of Tennessee State University
If you are looking for an HBCU experience in Tennessee this is definitely the school that you want to be a part of. You can become a part of various excelling academic base organizations, and some spectacular extracurricular activities such as the marching band which is the heart of the school. Most classes are small-medium which can give you an intimate class and setting to better connect with your teacher in other classmates.
I like the comforting environment that Tennessee State University gives. There are plenty ways to get involved and I love that they hold a student fair every Wednesday. One change I would like to see is overall building improvements. The library only provides several working computers and some buildings are outdated.
My three years attending TSU has been a good experience. The main problem I do have with TSU is the dorms needs to be updated. Other than that I am very happy that I chose TSU.
Tennessee State University is one of the best HBCU experiences ever. The professors genuinely care about you . The students are extremely nice .You’ll feel super safe while you’re here
I love the campus. The only thing i have a continuous problem with is the financial aid department. Dealing with them I’ve had to quit school twice because of horrible policy and bad communication skills on their part. Dorms are also horrible. At least the freshmen ones are. I refused to live in the women’s freshmen dorm my first year and moved into the better upper class one.
Not sure who’s giving these so called good reviews. TSU was horrible the only thing I could overlook was the dirty campus and trash everywhere. My sons room flooded and he waited nearly a week to have it resolved. The RAs were a joke! The constant smell of weed in the dorms and on campus should not be tolerated. The rats in the kitchen and dorm rooms carrying disease is enough to make you sick. The campus was unsafe. Any and everyone could walk around freely on the campus and dorms. The shootings were not properly dealt with, kidnappings and robberies either. I plan on seeking legal advice to regain some or all of my money!
Overall TSU is a great school academically! great professors willing to help and work with you. Horrible financial aid office, no assistance when needed and they don't keep you up to date about your financial issues.
TSU is what you make of it no matter what anybody else says negative about it. However what needs to be improved is organization in many different areas in the school. Attitudes within workers in the financial aid department.
I enjoy Tennessee state university, but there are a lot of things that needs improvements. Its a very fun school to attend but there are always issues with the housing, financial aid department and the food is really bad. The people are what makes TSU a great school to attend. They also have a great engineering and computer science department.
With Complete Honesty, I originally didn’t choose this HBCU due to rumors I heard. But once I got to the campus it was like rumors never existed because culturally speaking it’s truly like a family connection with whomever you come in contact with. Staff and administration included and I love that about TSU. I had a plan before for when I went in but after my freshman year I definitely knew I was going to stay at TSU all 4 years of my college career and I’m happy with my decision and no one will ever change that! #GOBIGBLUE
The school makes you feel at home and comfortable. The teachers in my department are very caring. I’ve learned a lot from this school, educational wise and also life wise. It’s helped me grow.
First starting with my personal opinion Tennessee state university feels like home to me if you ask me why I will tell you because it’s a great university that makes all her students more than families , to me this university is a safe place I always want to be in I just finished my freshman year but so far I love it it’s fantastic in and out . One thing that I would like to share with others about Tennessee state is that you will hear so much bad rumors about the university and it will make you change your mind and you will not feel safe but don’t judge the college until you try it because it’s a great place to learn and not just that it’s an amazing place that gathers friends together. Last one thing I would want to change about the university would be that people just need to stop talking bad about the college because it’s not what people think it is TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY is a great place to go college and to be proud.
I liked the diversity. There were people there from many different countries. I enjoyed learning from them and their viewpoint.

I disliked the unprofessionallism of the staff. The staff in the financial aid office withheld my refund check for no reason. I hare to have the director of the office locate my "lost check". The front desk staff said the didn't have it for weeks but it was found in the file with the other refund checks. It was a horrible experience.
TSU gets a bit of an unfair reputation. The academics are good, if you put the time in and use the resources available to you while you're there. I went through the Political Science Dept. and there are some genuinely outstanding staff and faculty there.
Start Your Review of Tennessee State University
I loved TSU. Everybody is so friendly and we still had fun while we did academics The food was good, and the campus is beautiful. The dorms were ok, could be better. Party scene was amazing, we just needed to invest in some air conditioners. Everybody got a long for the most part. We support one another and w are big on sports.
This school is excellent. There are so many great things that it has to offer and an amazing Business School!
What I like about TSU is the ability to feel at home and that everyone cares. If there’s an issue it is always somewhere to go and someone who cares. It is also more diverse than one would think and through that it is possible to meet new people from all different backgrounds.