SUNY Purchase College Reviews

1,049 reviews
I actually can't fit everything I want to say in 1000 words but just know your living and learning conditions will be horrendous and you'll regret ever hearing about this school.

If you want an arts education from a SUNY go to FIT. If you don't want an arts education go literally anywhere else. DO NOT COME FROM OUT OF STATE unless you're applying to a conservatory. Don't come in undeclared with the intent of applying to a conservatory as a sophomore because you'll add at least one year to your stay. Don't drive your car on campus because you will wreck it in one of the thousand potholes that have been there since 2012. I don't know what the school does with our tuition but they definitely don't use it to improve campus conditions.

I'm serious- the dorms and food are flat out health hazards and the education is subpar. Do yourself a favor and stay away.
Purchase was a great college with excellent professors. However they need more of a major to career connection, maybe through advisors.
It's a small, public liberal arts institution in a prime location. Situated on 120 acres, it offers ample opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and hiking/biking through the wooded trails. It's also conveniently located a mere (free!) bus ride into downtown White Plains. The main campus itself is quite compact, however, offering that typical, college campus feel without it being in the middle of nowhere. As for academics, although Purchase is known for its conservatory programs, it still offers other majors. I transferred as a sociology major, and managed to participate in a range of extracurricular activities (and lead them!) even as a commuter. But I think that Purchase could improve its PR efforts for smaller events. I took the initiative to explore and find them out for myself, but I understand that not everyone can do that or wants to do that, yet they don’t want to miss out on things, so for those kinds of students, it would help if the campus advertised those more.
Start Your Review of SUNY Purchase College
I am currently a freshman attending SUNY Purchase College and I just recently completed my first semester. SUNY Purchase was my safety school, as the tuition was bearable enough for my family and me to pay. I can say now that I am glad that I attended this school. Everyone here is so very talented and I felt as if I belonged there. I am doing well academically and arts wise, where I feel I can express myself just fine here.
I love the passion and care put forth by the professors at SUNY Purchase College and I adore the friends I have made. The people on campus are usually very great. But, the food is gross. The campus is unappealing. The dorms need fixing.
The diverse and creative programs are inspiring. As an Arts Management Major, the courses proved to be valuable to real-life work situations. This campus has conservatories in music, dance theater, film and Art + Design. The social awareness on campus is innovative and inspiring.

The one weak spot for me (presently a senior), is some of the required classes have no connection to my major, they simply fulfill a requirement. Arts Management has room for expansion.

All my professors have been committed to their students' success. Programs are innovative and all majors have access the conservatories and the campus Neuburger museum. The professors and the students are socially aware and in-tune with present-day issues.

Social life is unique and inclusive, but no pressure for students who prefer not to participate. There is a free bus to the train to NYC.
I have gained experience, tools, and wisdom in advancing arts management and beyond.
The school is accepting to gender affirmation. They are best known for its support in the field of art and students sexuality. They campus is big with friendly staff, students, and professors.
However, the competition relies morally on the craftmanship of the students art, performances, and grades. But, art is the common interest here with the intention for constant artistic/scholarly improvement.
So far my professor has been great, and I have been very involved with the campus life. My classmate and I have a great time together, and there is always something going on. Our performance art center is fantastic, and everyone should at least go to one show.
Very Diverse and welcoming school. Big on LGBT+ community and has a great visual art program with a lot of supplies available to students and 24/7 access to the visual art building so you can work on your art for as long as you want.
SUNY Purchase is a great school for someone who wants to pursue a career in the arts, as the conservatories are very strong and rewarding. The campus is also a very welcoming and open-minded one, which is something that I appreciate and believe is important in creating a healthy learning and social environment. Purchase's proximity to New York City is also very attractive and ideal, as I often go into NYC during the weekends to see shows, etc.
I commute from home and just transferred to Purchase this semester but I've enjoyed my time so far. Huge campus, a lot of it is under construction (a lot of old buildings getting redone) but has a great library with plenty of study spaces. Very diverse and have liked the biology professors I've met so far.
SUNY Purchase is very small school. Professors are very great and always caring students to accomplish their goals. I made so many great life long friends in SUNY Purchase and I am always happy to stay here with great classmates and professors.
The school is located in very country side of Westchester, NY and it helps you to focus on your studies and school life.
Honestly, you're gonna need a car lmao because White Plains is the most boring place ever. Also, don't go wasting your time with the party life here, it's basically non-existent and all the good ones get shut down pretty quickly.
While my experience at Purchase College is limited to only two semesters, I have quite a lot to say about this school. With its "Think Wide Open" statement it truly is a small safe haven for students to meet others with similar mindsets and close to none of the blatant judgement from others. This school allows students to live and breath school, with a location far enough secluded to really help students focus.
IF YOU LOVE YOURSELF DO NOT GO HERE. This school messed me up to the very last second. I hated it there so much I wanted to transfer and when I requested my transcript in May to be sent to a certain school and they sent it out two days ago. Due to their incompetence and untimeliness I was rejected. Luckily, I was still accepted into another school regardless. Not only is the food trash. The classes are a joke, try transferring and you will find the majority of your courses do not transfer over. The professors are way too lenient. For a liberal college there are a lot of racists. The night life was absent in its entirety. You’ll only have fun on drugs which is why drug use is heavy here. Their spring fest & clubs are beyond lame. This school is honestly one of my biggest regrets. In terms of finding a job after college depending on your major do not go here. Not even the price is worth it. you will not enjoy yourself unless you’re white & gay.
The community at Purchase is really unique and special, I've never connected with so many people all in the same place before. For my major it offered so much and my teacher was amazing. I found so many people to collaborate with. However, the facilities are atrocious and the food is way overpriced -- the quality is not worth paying for, but sometimes you have to because its a far drive to any alternatives. Living off campus was the best option for me. But overall I had a great experience.
Disgusting place. Don't go here. The housing and food are terrible. If you're not a hippie/ into drugs you will feel very out of place. Too much political garbage events and no class or group outings. The social aspect is absurd. Professors make office hours with you and leave you waiting or never show up. My math teacher showed up 30 mins late to every class. Nobody wants to go to the gym/do recreational activities they all want to lock themselves in their rooms and drink/smoke/do other drugs/"hook up". The music building rehearsal rooms/classrooms have broken seats, moldy carpets, and no windows. They are very nasty in the com with the exception of a few professors. You're worked like a dog for those musicals/operas. It's all about exploitation of talent for profit. If I could give 0 stars I would.
Start Your Review of SUNY Purchase College
I had to transfer out of this college for many reasons, the biggest being that the community is extremely toxic and not as open-minded as their slogan suggests. I am LGBT and was constantly either misgendered and misnamed, despite being very vocal about my identity. Not to mention that if you are disliked by one clique, then you're probably going to be disliked by everyone on campus.
The academics are extremely average and not challenging at all. And the cherry on top is the campus. It's so small and there's basically nothing to do, unless you want to pay almost $20 to go to the city and come back.
If you want a party school that requires minimal effort, or if you just want a quick and easy way to get away from home for four years, this is the school for you.
SUNY Purchase is overall an excellent school if you're into the arts such as music, dancing, acting, etc but for most regular student such as myself I don't really feel like I fit in, the freshman housing is pretty poor in my opinion, there's not many fun activities to do on and off campus , so 90% of the time you feel like your trap in an endless bore. But the shows perform on campus by the dance clubs are to die for, I personally enjoy every single one of them, and they are probably the highlight of the campus.
Purchase is a place unlike many other colleges. It is diverse, open-minded, and generally accepting; I have met peers and faculty during my freshman year who have changed my life. Academics are fantastic, and although my program is still starting, I have big hopes for its future. Additionally, there is a great sense of involvement among the students in politics and government. Despite the positive aspects, many of my peers have had a looming issue with the campus police: UPD. They frequently harass students and have difficulty performing their job capably, especially when it comes to sexual assault.