SUNY Purchase College Reviews

1,031 reviews
This school provides a solid education but the campus culture is awful. Purchase students are notorious for circulating the same low-level, uninspired new age counter-culture tropes to desperately avoid acknowledging the gaping chasm where campus community should normally be. Everyone is sensitive to a flaw, your speech will be stifled if you disagree with the general consensus. To put it short, SUNY Purchase is obsessed with mock profundity and recycled self-irony. Most students think that they are somehow enlightened or remarkably intelligent, when in reality they just spew basic progressive/socialist ideas. There is also a constant air of victimhood that stinks up the place, nearly every student feels disenfranchised, either by the government, high school, society, the media, gender stereotyping, --etc-- so that nobody has the drive to fight for a meaningful college experience. One cannot escape the feeling of mediocrity .
Unless you really like art, music, theater, are a comic book or anime obsessed nerd, in some stoner or hipster niche, very into multicultural clubs and social justice, you will be disappointed. There is nothing to do on weekends unless you have a close knit group of friends, and most people go home or to NYC on the weekends. Parties were better when I was in high school. I was bored most of the time and didn't really have any way to unwind on weekends except for the occasional drunken stood event. The professors and classes are good for the most part, but students aren't super passionate about them and the environment isn't very academic. Its especially depressing during the winter, and you'll see maybe 5 students walking around on campus. If you happen to get accepted into a conservatory or are a new media major or something, it might be worth it, otherwise I would advise against this school.
Very mixed feelings. The Psychology department is amazing, but the school's administrative and campus safety departments are seriously lacking. Difficult to make friends here, but once you find your group, you are friends for life.
Start Your Review of SUNY Purchase College
Purchase College is definitely a place where one can think wide open. It has a wonderful atmosphere for artists, musicians, and laymen. The music conservatory has so many practice rooms, it is truly a blessing. The school prepares each student for life after college.
Suny Purchase Dance program is a program filled with opportunity. It is an amazing program for dancers.
Purchase college is a welcoming environment that is really invested in their students. Professors go out of their way to make sure each student is doing well and understanding the material. The work is reasonable and relatively easy to understand. Overall, my experience has been positive and has helped me obtain a B.A.
I was accepted to go to Purchase College in the BA Journalism Program, but I'm still making my finally decision to go here or not but Im visiting the campus today and been invited on March 2nd to have another visit with other students as well.
The social scene is lacking, especially in terms of clubs. The drag shows are great, though. The food is awful. Most of the classes are intellectually stimulating and interesting.
This school tried, but the administration is terrible at inter-departmental communication and the student suffers for it. I studied creative writing, and every semester I got the strong impression that the bureaucratic side of the college hated the program. This is possibly because of the faculty in charge, who were not great, to say the least. The entire Literature department was fantastic, though, which is the only reason I gave academics and professors four stars. The social life is active but frequently did not make efforts to include/recruit transfer students. The actual campus was rated one of the ugliest universities in the country and seemed to be built for maximum wind factor.
The Opera Program is amazing. My voice improved so much. everyone is so unique and artistic. Faculty is highly accesible for all your needs. The school provides free medical appointments and prescriptions. Also, the gym is very well equipped. It has been an amazing experience to be in Suny.
There is a clear disconnect between the college staff and the students. There is minimal, if any, communication to the students. Many professors are respectful of students, but there are a few stinkers. While Purchase will say it is not an art college, it clearly has it's priorities. Most of the dorms and apartments need cleaning and renovation. The student life is fine, but there is a clear disregard for education by some. If it were to work on it's employees, housing, and communication, this college would be a beam of perfection.
I have visited SUNY Purchased recently in December of 2017. It was a different experience because it was father from what I usually prefer. The school was big and open. What I liked mostly about Purchase is that it is surrounded by trees. Nature surrounds the campus. An alumni has told me that it is very diverse and friendly. People at purchase are always willing to help become you new friend.
I will be attending Purchase next fall and I can't say I've ever been more excited for something in my life. I can honestly say from my very first visit just about a year ago now I just had this sense of belonging, many students I know who had their first year in college this year have decided to transfer to Purchase for next year. It is such a nice campus and everything is close without the campus feeling crowded. Everyone seems so accepting on campus from my experiences, and I love that they have things like Pancake Madness for the night before finals week starts where you go to the dinning hall and they have music free t-shirts and a pancake buffet.
I studied Sociology about two years ago at Purchase. While I liked most of my teachers, I don't think I felt challenged at all. The college is extremely leftist/Marxist/feminist/identity politics driven and those are the kind of people who end up studying here. They aren't challenged by their professor either. Instead they are encourage to go on with the recent Social Justice movement. Students here aren't taught how to form an argument and instead are taught to police each other and throw labels like racist and sexist around. No consideration for freedom of speech or expression. Most of the student body are homogenous in political thought and ideology so they are hardly ever challenged by their peers. When I entered this college I considered myself a liberal but its safe to say nowadays I'm more Center (though they'd likely consider me far right).
Purchase was an awesome place to go for undergrad. You'll meet a lot of passionate faculty and students alike. It's way cheaper than going to a private school, but like most things in life, you get out what you put in, a lesson I unfortunately learned too late. The school also has great art and performance art facilities: dance studios, wood workshops, printmaking, computer labs, etc, so definitely take advantage of everything available to you as a student.
Purchase is awesome!! It’s full of creative people from different backgrounds! And also full of talent and diversity! It’s a great school to study something arts or humanities related! Most of the professors are great and the classes are really helpful! I have met some of the most wonderful talented people here and I really recommend this school to anyone who is open minded and wants to be surrounded by creativity
Although I've only attended one semester so far, my experience at Purchase has already been very positive. My classes benefit my major and all of the professors I've had have really cared about their positions.
Start Your Review of SUNY Purchase College
Purchase College has a great environment for both academic and social life. The campus spans hundreds of acres but classes and dorms are centralized within one acre. The student population has been the most important part of my experience so far as the school has drawn in an inspired group of motivated and talented youth. Because it's a state university there are a wide array of people from every socioeconomic background, race and gender identity. I think this is important as it allows students to gain a new kind of respect for every type of person you will interact with when off campus and after graduating. Purchase has amazing programs in the Arts, Theater, and Science areas so the school draws in students for other states as well as other countries.

I feel my academic experience has been extremely full. My professors continue to push the boundaries of my mind while offering me the tools and support I need to apply myself in this environment and face real world challenges.
I loved my time at Purchase College! My professors were very intelligent and engaging. The fellow students at my college are by far the best part of the Purchase community. Purchase students are fiercely passionate, intelligent, caring, and compassionate. Here I have met some of the most talented and brilliant people in the world! Purchase is a great choice for those looking to be challenged.
SUNY Purchase was my safety school. I LOVED visiting the campus, and especially sitting in on some of the Theater classes, and touring Purchase's Performing Arts facilities, which are EXCELLENT for a public university. I was more set on a small liberal arts college setting, with an emphasis on the performing arts. If I hadn't gotten into Hampshire College (or any of my other top 3 choices: Emerson, Antioch & Bennington) I would have felt fine with attending Purchase. Coming from a public high school in NYC, I would have been fine with Purchase because it was the SUNY that students from my high school applied to least (I was one of those: "I don't want to go to college with everyone I went to high school with" students) which suited me just fine. Being a NY resident, Purchase also would have been a good value financially. I was happier going out of state, to a small college, but Purchase was a REALLY good choice for a safety school.