SUNY New Paltz Reviews

1,253 reviews
If you are considering coming here for science, save yourself the headache and go anywhere else. The programs are seriously lacking - professors are unreachable, and classes are designed to "weed out" students (as is the case with the hybrid class Genetics, in which students are expected to teach themselves all there is to know about Genetics at home). I have met more students struggling with depression and anxiety due to this program than I ever expected. My first Calc. class consisted of the professor spending 25 minutes informing the class that "90% of the students in this class are not prepared to be here and will fail. If you have any question at all as to your capabilities, drop the class now". This is my first semester and last semester here. I was told by a number of professors that my AS from DCC is why I am struggling. I am highly disappointed in the way that the school operates - they are more concerned about their standings than they are about student success.
The school could basically be summed up by the work "meh." The food is horrendous, but some of the students are good. The sports here are essentially nonexistent, but the arts department has some nice perks though.
Absolutely amazing place. My cousin goes here and always has something good to say. There is always something to do and the people are very down to earth and open-minded.
Review SUNY New Paltz
New Paltz allows for a great deal of support for the students regeardless of what program the student happens to be connnected to. I appreciate the dynamicism of the different events that happen on campus when you're not happy with one of them you can definitely turn to another that may take your fancy almost immediately. The professors are really kind and understanding of what it is you may be going through, the course & material being covered and just all around aren't just there to teach but actually devote themselves to their students and the subject. The dining hall is great for different kinds of food to eat and the Student Union Building has everything from great services to extraordinary staff that go above and beyond to be able to help students with what they need and it's much appreciated by students such as myself. I've never seen a more connected campus lifestyle.
SUNY New Paltz is a great 4 year college in the Hudson Valley that is surrounded by great scenery and not too far from NYC. The dorms are a little outdated and the bathrooms in the older dorms could really use some renovation, and the campus food is surely nothing special. But what is great about New Paltz is the fact that academics are taken very seriously. There are a number of resources readily available to students to help them with any problem they have, and most professors will gladly take the time to help students that ask for it, or if they cannot take the time personally, will recommend the different options they have. New Paltz strength is its liberal arts majors, but the other majors are also great.
I am so unbelievably in love with this school. I am the third person from my immediate family going to this school for communications. The student accounts and financial aid offices are so kind. I am currently struggling to afford my fall semester of sophomore year and to have there be a possibility of not being able to go back break s my heart. It is such a diverse and accepting school where everyone is so kind hearted and allows people to be themselves!
The views are great. The school of education professors are so great and helpful. The price of campus food is high and paying to park is annoying especially when the parking isn't located near academic buildings.
When I visited, the atmosphere was pretty nice, and I got to learn about their geology department which excited me.
My experience here at Suny New Paltz has been great so far! All you have to do in order to have a fun and wholesome experience is to get of your shell and join clubs, make new friends, explore new interests and not get stressed out too much.
Choosing to attend SUNY New Paltz was one of the greatest decisions I made. I would not have changed anything about my four year experience. The school, the town and the people leave a lasting impact on all who come in contact.
I think some of the teachers are amazing and there are great parts of SUNY New Paltz. However, I feel that the school itself is run too much like a business where everything but the students themselves are thoughts about. I would like to see more student involvement and involvement opportunities.
was in the graduating class of 1992. I was very impressed by the entire experience. I can not say enough about the wonderful faculty and accommodating staff. I was working my 35 hour work week at a nearby SUNY community college and had a A.S. degree and was able to complete the remaining two years I needed for a Bachelors. All my class schedules worked in my favor. Loved summer school classes. I was able to take credits at another college one summer which was downstate even further, which was extremely helpful. I recommend SUN New Paltz highly; I got a great education there. (Not to mention, it is in a lovely area. Plus, favorable access easy to THE THRUWAY.)
New Paltz is a great university. It provides an awesome learning environment where students from many backgrounds can come together to socialize and further their education. The business school in particular is a great program with strong resources the those enrolled. The only drawback to college is the dorms. The rooms are designed in such a way that even with two windows open there is no airflow. Going forward I would encourage, for at least college and bouton halls, that the rooms be more intelligently designed.
As a transfer student, I've had an excellent transition to New Paltz. The faculty has been great in advising me so I graduate on time. I particularly love the campus and small class sizes. The town is also walking distance and there's plenty to do on the weekends whether it be going out or going hiking.
I love it here. It is a super friendly area with beautiful scenery. Staff is super helpful and always there for you. Has a cute little town and makes you feel at home from day 1.
SUNY New Paltz is a great move. If you enjoy the small town vibe, beautiful scenery, and a chill, artistic community, you will enjoy coming to New Paltz. I'm in the photo program and the professors and facilities are amazing. The liberal arts courses I've taken have been just as good. It's definitely a better deal than a private art school, but you receive a comparable education. The only drawbacks for me about New Paltz are the party scene which I don't really feel comfortable around, and the strong political bias which often makes its way into the classrooms instead of giving all opinions an equal voice. But overall, New Paltz was a great choice and I'd recommend it.
The culture in New Paltz is amazing. The staff truly cares to watch you succeed as long as you are putting in the work.
Review SUNY New Paltz
Great school in a cozy neighborhood. Really great athletics and art program! There are always networking opportunities and students are encouraged to take the initiative when engaging in the surrounding community.
I liked the History professors, but did not like many of the other professors whose classes I completed. Often, they were difficult to understand because of their thick accents and many of them could not effectively convey their subject matter. I would like to see more professors who know how to teach their subject matter.
There were also very poor accommodations for commuter students. Some of the parking lots were quite far from class buildings and there was not enough parking spots for all of the commuter students. The commuter lounge was simply a room with some tables and dirty couches. I did not feel welcome as a commuter student.
I loved my time at SUNY New Paltz. I always felt safe on campus which is very important as a young woman. I had a wonderful experience with the many professors I had, and came out with a much better outlook on life. The atmosphere is always friendly, and even though the academics are challenging as competition grows, I was never so overwhelmed because there was always someone to turn to if I needed help.