SUNY Cortland Reviews

My overall experience of Cortland was great. I enjoyed my classes, the campus, and my peers. There was a great balance between my academic and social life. There were many social events, clubs, and organizations to be apart of. The only complaint would be that over my four years being there the campus dining facilities changed drastically - which was not very appealing. But overall Cortland is a great environment to learn, get your degree, and have fun while doing it.
I enjoy SUNY Cortland because It's a smaller school then most other 4 year colleges. It has off campus housing available after you have lived on campus for two years. There is also parking available for freshman which I thought was nice because most other colleges don't allow freshman to have cars their first year.
SUNY Cortland is like a big family. The facuilty and professors go out their way to know students and build a relationship with students. Their are so many clubs on campus to keep to busy.
Start Your Review of SUNY Cortland
Wifi/cell phone reception is terrible. Freshman have to park in the D lot, at least a mile from dorms. bus/shuttle system is inconsistent. Cortland has three, below average, main dining options on campus run through ASC. If you plan to go out to the bars or parties, plan on the local police joining you in the festivities, giving out tickets like they're throwing dollar bills in a strip club. Academically workload is easy and manageable.
Great place to be! Wonderful people, beautiful campus. Dorms are great! I would prefer to be in a double rather than a triple, but I have no other complaints. I enjoy the overall atmosphere of the people and scenery. The school has a way of making learning very enjoyable. the teachers are great and very easy to understand. My one real problem with the school is the area around the school. The area is very quiet which in way is a good thing, but I would prefer the area to be more commercial.
SUNY Cortland is a school that everyone's an athlete. I find it very interesting to see how many people go to the student life center to play sports and workout. SUNY Cortland Also provides a large variety of different sports to play during the school year. SUNY Cortland's teachers are also amazing they have treated me amazing in my transition form high school to college helping me further my intelligence and move further on in life with a better understanding of different subjects.
Cortland is know as being a bar school, in the first few weeks of the semester there are open frat & house parties but after that you need to be part of a frat or sport to attend parties. Downtown has a great bar scene with great deals but they can be difficult to get into because of how strict the cops are. Overall Cortland is average for academics but is know for its night life.
The professors were very knowledgeable and helpful. Many professional opportunities as well as campus activities were available. All offices were friendly and efficient in response to questions. The campus is very diverse.
My experience at SUNY Cortland has been good. The professors are amazing, most people are nice, and the parties are fun at first. After a while, you begin to outgrow them. SUNY Cortland has a lot to offer, you just have to be willing to take advantage of opportunities. One thing that I would like to see change is the food on campus. The food isn't that great at the dining halls and they serve the same meals over and over and over again.
SUNY Cortland has a very tightly knit student body, and a tremendous group of professors and educators. Through my time here, I’ve learned, grown, and been pushed closer to a career in the field that I want
SUNY Cortland is an awesome college! I studied sport management and all the professors in my department have real-world experience in the industry which is important. We have a state of the art fitness center which has anything you can imagine, and probably more. Going to varsity games is fun and the dining halls are decent. If you like to party, youll love Cortland even more. There is always a reason to go out and drink with your friends and the bar scene is legit. If youre not a partier, thats cool too, there is always SO much going on campus youre sure to have fun without drinking. The city itself is a neat, they recently received a 10 million dollar grant to renovate downtown. Huge economy boost. Syracuse's Destiny mall is a half hour away and SUNY Cortland sponsors trips to go there so if you or your friends dont have a car, you’re good. Ithaca is 25 minutes away and is a very cool town, theres trails to hike and its great if you just want to get away from Cortland for the day
I love the huge campus, the welcoming staff and students, the food, and everything else that comes with it! The only thing I would change would be the parking situation. I would add a parking lot or two because many times it’s hard to find a spot. I think SUNY Cortland has excellent professors and offers many different types of classes for everyone.
I have just finished my first year at SUNY Cortland and I LOVE IT there is so much things to do on campus and the on campus activities and the campus culture is really great. The advisors are very helpful and the sport teams are very competitive we've won against Ithaca 6 years in a row! GO RED DRAGONS! My only suggestion would be there should be more diversity but they try to make it up with the Black Student Union.
The school is a very good teaching school and for many other things, you get to meet great people and learn a bunch of things to prepare you for your future. Even though, it is cold the campus and parties are not hard to get to. The professors that i have had my first semester here were excellent, they were all very helpful and would go over things with you during their office hours if needed.
Cortland si very large and beautiful. They have a lot of opportunities to join clubs, greek life, and other extracurriculars.
In my personal experience, I felt like I was forced out of a major I started out indie to the environment of the class room and the students. Professors are decent, you get the good and the bad like everywhere else in any major. There isn't much to do if you aren't into physical activities and sports or drinking on the weekends. My current major has a very small department which is good because you get to know your professors but also can effect you if you do poorly in one course because you'll most likely have that professor for multiple courses.
Coming into Cortland, I had no idea what to expect, but I have come to love the college, my major, and all my professors. The student life is great and there is always something happening on campus that you can join in on. The surrounding area is not the best, but we are very close to Ithaca and Syracuse.
Start Your Review of SUNY Cortland
SUNY Corrected is unbelievable! The professors are great and the student-life and atmosphere is awesome.
Very comfortable campus and kind people in town. The food is good, and there's a lot of variety. If you're from a big city like I am, the town will get very boring fast since all there's only parties and nature based activities. Very quiet area, you could study in the forest if you really wanted to.
I was tripled in a room with two best friends. How awkward is that?!! It was a horrible experience I left after a few days. I felt so uncomfortable. It's a party school full of jocks and more than half the freshman are tripled. My dorm room was in the basement and it was dank and dark and dingy. My professors were nutty. Buildings hard to navigate. The #1 reason I had to leave though was the room. It was tiny tiny tiny. These girls had been best friends their whole lives it was so uncomfortable, they just wanted to talk to each other. Cortland is notorious for tripling and when I say that I'm not kidding. If you want a regular dorm room don't go here. Half the population is from Long Island, seriously. The food is AWFUl!! You would think that you're paying $5,000 for a meal plan you'd get some decent food but I had to walk to town to buy food in a little minimart next to a dunkin just to get some crappy gas station food for breakfast.