SUNY Cortland Reviews

Very comfortable campus and kind people in town. The food is good, and there's a lot of variety. If you're from a big city like I am, the town will get very boring fast since all there's only parties and nature based activities. Very quiet area, you could study in the forest if you really wanted to.
I was tripled in a room with two best friends. How awkward is that?!! It was a horrible experience I left after a few days. I felt so uncomfortable. It's a party school full of jocks and more than half the freshman are tripled. My dorm room was in the basement and it was dank and dark and dingy. My professors were nutty. Buildings hard to navigate. The #1 reason I had to leave though was the room. It was tiny tiny tiny. These girls had been best friends their whole lives it was so uncomfortable, they just wanted to talk to each other. Cortland is notorious for tripling and when I say that I'm not kidding. If you want a regular dorm room don't go here. Half the population is from Long Island, seriously. The food is AWFUl!! You would think that you're paying $5,000 for a meal plan you'd get some decent food but I had to walk to town to buy food in a little minimart next to a dunkin just to get some crappy gas station food for breakfast.
Being a first generation college student, I felt a lot of pressure to be the best, but I feel like all my worries are gone! I feel like the staff and professors really have a drive to help the students succeed.
Start Your Review of SUNY Cortland
I transferred to SUNY Cortland last year, and it has been the greatest choice I have ever made. Cortland welcomes all students with open arms and endless opportunities. Going into my second year at Cortland, it has been the longest summer of my life and I just cant wait to get back to my favorite place in the world.
The staff is caring and understanding, and I have never had a negative experience with the institution. I have attended two other universities, and SUNY Cortland is by far the best one. I'm proud to be a Red Dragon!
I like SUNY Cortland, but I come from a town on Long Island that holds such diversity, that I became home sick once I went away from college because I missed the diverse environment. I feel that students on campus aren't very accepting of people different from them, but of course, there's always those types of people anywhere you go. But, this school does have it's share of very sweet students and the faculty is amazing. Each professor I've had I felt that I could go to with any problem I had and they were always available, as well as very understanding.
SUNY Cortland was a great environment for anyone looking to be involved in school spirit, sporting events, greek life and extra curricular activities. There was always a lot to be involved in, whether that was academically or outside of school. I was a transfer student which was much harder to adapt to, because most people already had their groups of friends or were already settled in their houses, etc.
The full on college experience with living on your own and having to go through the phases of friendships and career. Diversity is a huge deal at this school. Don't get me wrong they are accepting more African Americans but it is still a huge gap that is slowly closing. President bitterbaum though is AMAZING!
SUNY Cortland is a great school. I'm a biomedical sciences major and you get the opportunities to know your presentations. Campus life is great as lon as you try to be involved. Winter is very cold though
My first year here at Cortland and I love it here. Nice people and everybody is helpful and the school have great food.
The classes are challenging while keeping you interested. However, I had bad experiences with advisors not being able to provide me with answers I had due to not knowing the information I was looking for. Also, I was made to take additional math and science classes for a psych major, when I had previously been told that the math/science requirements were completed through the college courses I took in high school. Overall, I have had a good experience at Cortland, with a few minor set backs.
The professors are very caring and the staff is generally friendy. The student life center is an athletes definition of absolute heaven. The meal plans are WAY over priced though. At cheapest, $2000 per semester. The bus service is almost falsely advertised too. They talk about it like there is a bus every 5 minutes, but thats only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 7:20-3:00 and then it goes down to 1 every half an hour at West Campus. If you are a Physical Education major, this school is perfect for you though. A lot of resources and opportunities over all.
SUNY Cortland offers a great small town feel as well as beautiful facilities such as Dowd Art Gallery and the Student Life Center. The professors are wonderful and genuinely care for the success of their students.
This is a smaller school without much diversity. A lot of people from Long Island go to this school. It is very sport oriented. It has an amazing life center for working outo, swimming, playing basketball and has a separate multiparty court. The biggest down fall is the layout of the campus with it being on a hill.
SUNY Cortland has been an overall great experience. It has helped me grow as a person and become more responsible as an adult. All of the course I have taken haven been beneficial for me and the professors are extremely helpful. They want to their students to succeed and will try to help you be successful if the effort is shown.
Wide variety of clubs, intramurals, and activities to be a part of. Very accommodating to transfer students and the professors are very approachable and helpful!
Cortland is a school for a specific type of person. If you visit and say wow these are the same annoying people I hated in high school then stay away from Cortland. The professors are pretty good and there are a lot of programs to choose from. The dorms are dirty and loud and many are outdated. If youre looking for high quality dorms from a SUNY look at Bing. Athletics is a major part of Cortland as it should be (one of the top PE schools in the country) If you're looking for a very modern and updated school, try other schools. The acceptance rate might seem low but you'd be surprised when you get here.
Start Your Review of SUNY Cortland
I love the academics at SUNY Cortland--we have one of the best faculties in the entire SUNY system. All classes and clubs are small, so people who want to get involved can do so quickly. The school itself, however, does not pay attention to diversity, and the Multicultural Life Office does a poor job of putting representation in the right hands.
I absolutely loved my department and professors. My major complaints involve the set up of campus itself. It is a very long campus with very little student parking. Majority of the parking is in one area of campus and you must catch a bus in order to get to class at the other end of campus. If you miss the bus or there's no room then you're sure to be late to class. Cortland needs a car garage! MORE STUDENT PARKING!
Good school overall. Everyone is willing to be there for you when you need help. Everyone is friendly and supportive of who you really are.