Stony Brook University, SUNY Reviews

2,350 reviews
I loved Stony Brook University. The moment I stepped on the campus, I knew this was where I want to go. There was a very positive vibe, making me feel that this could be home for the upcoming years. I loved to see the diversity and strength of academics present. Everyone was there united, with a purpose.
Stony Brook University is a decent school.

Some Positives: Depending on the type of classes that you enroll in, the instructors are there to make sure that students able to succeed. The instructors (some) are usually kind to the students and have office hours available, in case the students have questions. They are also flexible with the times too. At Stony Brook, there is a huge, multi-purpose, library that is used to benefit the students. There are quiet spaces that can help students focus on studying for their exams. When it comes to the campus, it is easy to navigate because of how the buildings are lined up and how the university provides maps for their students. There are also rental bikes available for faster travel.

Some Negatives: The university does not seem to offer that much financial aid, but offers a few scholarships. Sometimes, the instructors are not helpful in teaching their courses, which can lead to a students lower GPA.
The campus is very clean, beautiful and large. There are so many activities and clubs there to join. The location of the school has many restaurants, department stores, hospitals, and other important locations.
Start Your Review of Stony Brook University, SUNY
Stony Brook University values the STEM program but it is hard to get into science classes as seats get filled quickly. Advisors are helpful, and there are a lot of events, encouraging the students to get involved.
I had excellent experiences. It has great academic resources. It has excellent campus and dorms. Great Athletes. Academic is A+. Great professors etc.
Stony Brook is a very good school for a very reasonable price. It has its ups and downs like any school but most professors are quite good and there are many resources and activities on campus for both student activities and academics.
Top notch academics. Athletics is awesome, they treat their athletes really really well. Athletic facilities are the best I saw during my college recruitment tour.
I think most people come to this college for the price. Financially, this university is a great choice for what you are paying. I would not compare it to a private university, but you are paying significantly less and ultimately an education is what you make of it. A school's environment can be conducive to success, but ultimately it is up to the person to take the initiative themselves. One thing I have noticed is that most students here are incredibly quiet and not very social, which plays into the stereotype of "nerdy" STEM majors. Of course, this is not everyone, but generally not a very social school.
A very diverse campus with a lot of on-campus activities which helps you get involved and join the new community.
This school is terrible, it sucks to be in stony brook. Its a farway college that is both hard to assimilate into and also expensive. This school is terrible, it sucks to be in stony brook. Its a farway college that is both hard to assimilate into and also expensive. This school is terrible, it sucks to be in stony brook. Its a farway college that is both hard to assimilate into and also expensive. This school is terrible, it sucks to be in stony brook. Its a farway college that is both hard to assimilate into and also expensive.
Stony Brook is an average school, with its many ups and down. The dorms are nasty for example but the area itself is alright. The academics are a very high standard but many of the professors are incomptent.
there are different kinds of dorms such as 24 hour quiet, tobacco-free buildings for students to choose
Strong in STEM and research/labs. Humanities aren't bad either & overall a decent school. Social & academic life can be well balanced if you work for it.
Stonybrook Is not what I expected and is very big and cold people are not friendly a lot of professors don’t care I am a freshman and looking to transfer So my experience here is not what I expected I did have one professor that was great !
I transferred to SBU in Fall 2016. In high school I considered SBU to be my first choice, but it is currently my last choice now that I’m here. The classes often fill up too quickly (less than a couple of days after registration begins) and a lot of gen ed STEM courses can be an upwards of 500 people. In this school I feel like a number compared to where I transferred from. Many common STEM exams are at 8:45 PM and lots of these courses often have 2 or more of them. Personally, these exams are often too late for me to really focus on the test material. Some of my professors are fine and many are very knowledgeable and friendly, but a lot of the STEM professors just cannot teach…at all. Many of the courses will have teaching assistants or be taught by them, especially labs and recitations. The school does have an excellent reputation and the academics are about average, but the way the administration handles things is pretty questionable.
Stony Brook is a widely diverse campus offering a multitude of majors and degrees but it does suffer from the fact that not all major classes can be of a small classroom size, majority of my classes are 500 students total.
I simply fell in love with Stony Brook. The ambient is beautiful and the students are so friendly! I love how professors treat us I if I could re-apply to the school I would do it more than a thousand times.
Start Your Review of Stony Brook University, SUNY
Stony Brook University has a very green, spacious, quiet campus. All buildings within the campus are at a convenient walking distance. Dorm rooms are small but have a comfy feel to them when decorated. Buildings are kept relatively new and very clean.
Stony Brook has many passionate and experienced professors that want to see their students succeed and make learning a gratifying experience!
The RN to BSN online program needs better organization and management in my opinion. There is also no communication.