Stanford University Reviews

1,188 reviews
Classes are an experience different from any other. The resources to succeed in your classes makes the university a very capable one to help you achieve your goal.
Stanford University is the best university you might want to apply. Not only because of its name and selectiveness, but also because of the diversity that is only experienced at the campus. Their campus is the most diverse in the United States which makes it have a better student life.
It's still okay. The professors are understanding and trying to help as much as they can while still teaching what they need to. Online is just difficult in general, it takes out the social aspects of college.
Start Your Review of Stanford University
I love everything here. The architecture, the people, the atmosphere. The classes are a little difficult, but it's worth it.
I love Stanford and everything it has to offer. The people are so inspiring and I am excited to always be a part of the university.
The online experience has been good. Professors have been very accommodating and understanding. Of course it is difficult to account for every technical issue, but everyone at Stanford is doing their best.
There is no other university like it on the planet. The undergrad experience is fantastic--Stanford really makes sure to integrate first year students into campus life.

Stanford does everything well: academics, extracurriculars, social scene, sports, food, the arts, improv comedy(!), etc. You name it, Stanford does it and does it brilliantly. It even has the best weather!

And don't forget about the grad programs. They are outstanding across the board.
Brilliant professors. Very accessible through their office hours, and often outside of office hours.
Excellent school. Your experience is what you make it. If your financial circumstances change be prepared for a lengthy battle with the financial aid office.
All of spring quarter 2020 was virtual. All of my professors adapted well to the change, and found ways to engage the class despite the distance.
It is a good school and I found a good community while I was there. There are a couple issues with some of the professors and departments heads and their lack of understanding.
It was decent but poorly executed and difficult to stay engaged. Some classes were not ready to be online and it was apparent.
Overall, Stanford is the perfect balance between excellent academics, athletics, and a social atmosphere. One of the most welcoming environments you will ever be in. What separates Stanford from some of its peer institutions is that even though it is an elite university, the students are not elitists in the slightest.
I took all of my Spring quarter courses online. They definitely would have been better in person, but the professors adapted their curriculums really well and were super accommodating and understanding of the constantly changing circumstances.
Stanford is isolated: it's a very pretty but sometimes dull campus. Students rely on bikes: dangerous traffic jams on campus! Pre-Covid, dorm rooms small and shared: school had little options for those with crazy roommates. Wonderful research opportunities: profs open to exploration of topics of interest. Personalized education: you aren't just a face in the crowd. Library system terrific: they help! Grading is fair, not on a curve. Pre-Covid: good opportunities for extracurricular activities. Now, fewer. Online courses well put together and University IT very responsive. The university is trying hard.
Your fellow students are top-notch! That inspires you to put your best effort. Course selection relevant. Be prepared to do a lot of work! Grading is fair and transparent. Expectations clearly established early on. Much of the experience comes from extracurricular and social engagement. But worth the effort!
The pluses: small class size; research opportunities; chance to get to know professors; excellent libraries; willingness to help students from different backgrounds; good overseas programs; good job hunting support. Good extracurricular activities (sports, music, drama). Wonderful if you already know where you want to go.
Negative: students determined to get that A!; inconsistent advising; special programs for students you might not hear about and might not be eligible for.
I'm a sophomore. I had some trouble freshman year, finding my people and deciding what I wanted to do – but now I've found my place here and I love it so so much. While a lot of people love the freshman dorm experience, I'm more of a deep thinker / intellectual type at heart (sounds snobby but idk how else to say it) and my dorm culture largely revolved around partying, hookups, extraversion, small talk, and Instagram. It wasn't until Spring quarter that I found a solid group of friends (outside of my dorm) that I truly connected with. Then pre-sophomore year, during the SoCo program, I made more friends who I truly adore and have had the best times with – smart, creative, hilarious, very grounded people. We baked cookies and made hot chocolate in the winter, drove to SF a few weekends in a row to hike the hills study over coffee and avocado toast. We study regularly in the library together, and stay up til 3am talking. Stanford feels like home, my friends and teachers like family.
Start Your Review of Stanford University
I mean learning online just sucks compared to campus, but that's true for every school. My teachers have been incredibly caring and understanding, and Pass-Fail (I'm writing this Spring of 2020) has been a great opportunity to learn for the sake of learning. The perk to recorded lectures is that you can increase the video speed when the teacher is talking too slow! And it's also super easy to go to events because you just hop on the link and leave if you don't like it.
I have not had an online experience with Stanford regarding any class matters, but I like how it has digitally handled things like having new admits interacting with one another and continuously updating us with information about the upcoming school year.
For lack of better words, Stanford University is a one of a kind university. The cleanliness, architecture, art, and general energy of the campus are all of positivity, engagement, and other things of that sort. Whenever I am there, interacting with the students, faculty, and employees of the various stores and cafes there, it is a very, very welcoming environment. The bookstore has an amazing selection of books, and I always love looking at the selections of readings at its various libaries. Furthermore, every single interaction with professors that I have had, I have enjoyed them and am very much of the belief that they have been for the better. I am truly glad that I will be a part of the incoming Stanford class of 2024.