St. Mary's College of Maryland Reviews

The academics at this college are wonderful. However, the campus and administration had room to improve. The school is very much in the middle of nowhere, so if you don't have a car expect to stay on campus almost all the time. There have also been accusations of wrongful firings and misappropriation of funds against members of the administration recently.
Nobody who works here ever picks up any phone anywhere on campus, I call all the time and never get an answer and hardly ever get a call back. Pretty inefficient and inconvenient for students who want to get help.
The best school for academics! Small classes allow me to work closely with my professors. Plus, all the faculty are extremely skilled in their fields and are more than willing to share their knowledge with students. They are attentive and encouraging. The arts programs are also fantastic, especially music and theater. And because the school is small, there are more opportunities to participate in various arts productions. The only downfalls would be the cost and the location. St. Mary's is more expensive than other public Maryland schools, and although the St. Mary's River is beautiful - there is really nothing to do in this rural spot.
Start Your Review of St. Mary's College of Maryland
It is a great school especially if you want to be a Biology major but the school is a little out of date. The athletic teams aren't good and racism is a thing that is carried out at St. Mary's.
Love this school! Love the friends I've made and the education I'm getting. The school is beautiful, the river sunsets are amazing, the professors are the best, and I'm making wonderful memories with the nicest people. So glad to be at St. Mary's.
I love St. Marys. The campus life is great. I am a student athlete and participate in multiple clubs on campus. I love the waterfront and the beautiful nature across campus. Despite the student population being “small” I am always meeting new people and making new friends. I’m a biology major and love the science department.
I've only been there for one semester, but so far it seems like it is a nice community. It is small and everyone, including the staff and teachers, are friendly and I feel like they genuinely care for the students, health-wise and educationally.
St. Mary's is very unique. The landscape is amazing as well as many of the professors. However, an inclusive environment is not their top priority. The administrations goals are skewed.
I've loved attending St. Mary's! It's such a wonderful environment to learn and succeed in. Every faculty member I've interacted with has been a friend, mentor, and supportive team to all their students. There's plenty of diversity, things to do, and interesting classes to take.
i haven't gone their yet but i will in the fall. but, from what i've seen during college tours is that it's a very beautiful campus. the people are nice, the food is really good, and everyone loves to learn there. i can't wait to be a seahawk this year and experience why everyone is in love with this small college in southern maryland.
I have had a great experience with professors but have had trouble with the professionals in the business offices. I also had trouble getting help with my future planning including classes and graduate school.
I am finishing up my last semester here at SMCM. Over the years I have seen this institution go down hill, fading from its former glory. There is so much faculty turnover, that programs, class, and administrative support duties are forgotten. The President does not listen to the students, having an air of superiority. The only experience have had with her, was almost being run over as she whipped by in her sporty car. The buildings are falling apart, wifi sucks, communication between the campus administration and students is horrible and needs to be more organized. The students are sheltered and entitled, not challenging themselves with tough questions. More-so, everyone is getting in, causing us to question our honors title.

There are a view positives. It is a beautiful campus, historic, and on the water. You can easily major with several minors. There are some good professors and strong majors here.
First and foremost, I was amazed by the scenes the St. Mary's campus had to offer. The different bodies of water nearby resonated an environmentally conscious community. St. Mary's was small in size but the architecture around made me feel like they maintain most of their surroundings. The campus was very diverse and filled with students who were passionate and energetic about their school. I also favored the idea of the compact class sizes. The classroom size ranged from 10-15 students, with the largest being the seminars which can be up to 25 students. St. Mary's student to teacher ratio is crucial to me because this creates personal connections. These connections can spark ideas, thoughts, and opinions that will eventually boost the student's ability to understand a variety of topics.
There really is no campus life or school spirit. You will never see the president unless at an event. This is due to the image of the school. Yes, the campus is beautiful and waterfront, but not many people know it passed that. Sports game are really only attended by family member of the athletes and close friends. The best time to be on campus is when its warm outside because everyone will be down at the docks; sailing, kayaking, or relaxing. That has to be the best part about going to school here because not many college students have that at their disposal, but when the weather gets cold everyone goes back inside and there really is not much to do.
I would love to see some incentives, like free t-shirts for the first 100 students, that would get students to the games and get them involved with the community. Also more activities that aren't put on by a club, but maybe by the office of student engagement.
This is was one of the , if not worst experience of my life. If you're a minority this school is going to steal your soul. I'm suffering from PTSD after only two years spent on that campus.
St Mary's was a beautiful school it was by the water the people that i was around were all so kind and were helpful I cannot wait to go to school here. It is a great environment for learning and was peaceful and the professors seemed great and very helpful and many people told me that they loved the school
An awesome college with great teachers, who are always willing to help you out. The athletics are great; they are competitive, but there is still a focus on school. Your coaches realize that you are there for school first, and that is the main priority.
Start Your Review of St. Mary's College of Maryland
Wish I didn't drop out, had a really good time and hopefully will be attending again sometime in the future.
St. Mary's is a beautiful campus. Like all colleges, it has it's issues. The campus works hard to make sure that when there is an issue it gets fixed in a timely manner. The professors are all fantastic and the students (for the most part) are kind and outgoing.
I absolutely loved my time at St. Mary's and wouldn't trade it for the world. Attending a small liberal arts school afforded me unique opportunities, like working as a TA my freshman year. The professors are enthusiastic and accessible. The students are quirky and the campus has a family feel. Because of that, rumors spread quickly and the latest campus incident can quickly dampen the mood. However, to me, the benefits outweigh the cons. There is not much to do in the greater community, but campus is so beautiful that sometimes it's hard to leave anyway. The career center was really helpful when I was searching for opportunities both during and after college.