St. Mary's College of Maryland Reviews

St. Mary's is very unique. The landscape is amazing as well as many of the professors. However, an inclusive environment is not their top priority. The administrations goals are skewed.
I've loved attending St. Mary's! It's such a wonderful environment to learn and succeed in. Every faculty member I've interacted with has been a friend, mentor, and supportive team to all their students. There's plenty of diversity, things to do, and interesting classes to take.
i haven't gone their yet but i will in the fall. but, from what i've seen during college tours is that it's a very beautiful campus. the people are nice, the food is really good, and everyone loves to learn there. i can't wait to be a seahawk this year and experience why everyone is in love with this small college in southern maryland.
Start Your Review of St. Mary's College of Maryland
I have had a great experience with professors but have had trouble with the professionals in the business offices. I also had trouble getting help with my future planning including classes and graduate school.
I am finishing up my last semester here at SMCM. Over the years I have seen this institution go down hill, fading from its former glory. There is so much faculty turnover, that programs, class, and administrative support duties are forgotten. The President does not listen to the students, having an air of superiority. The only experience have had with her, was almost being run over as she whipped by in her sporty car. The buildings are falling apart, wifi sucks, communication between the campus administration and students is horrible and needs to be more organized. The students are sheltered and entitled, not challenging themselves with tough questions. More-so, everyone is getting in, causing us to question our honors title.

There are a view positives. It is a beautiful campus, historic, and on the water. You can easily major with several minors. There are some good professors and strong majors here.
First and foremost, I was amazed by the scenes the St. Mary's campus had to offer. The different bodies of water nearby resonated an environmentally conscious community. St. Mary's was small in size but the architecture around made me feel like they maintain most of their surroundings. The campus was very diverse and filled with students who were passionate and energetic about their school. I also favored the idea of the compact class sizes. The classroom size ranged from 10-15 students, with the largest being the seminars which can be up to 25 students. St. Mary's student to teacher ratio is crucial to me because this creates personal connections. These connections can spark ideas, thoughts, and opinions that will eventually boost the student's ability to understand a variety of topics.
There really is no campus life or school spirit. You will never see the president unless at an event. This is due to the image of the school. Yes, the campus is beautiful and waterfront, but not many people know it passed that. Sports game are really only attended by family member of the athletes and close friends. The best time to be on campus is when its warm outside because everyone will be down at the docks; sailing, kayaking, or relaxing. That has to be the best part about going to school here because not many college students have that at their disposal, but when the weather gets cold everyone goes back inside and there really is not much to do.
I would love to see some incentives, like free t-shirts for the first 100 students, that would get students to the games and get them involved with the community. Also more activities that aren't put on by a club, but maybe by the office of student engagement.
This is was one of the , if not worst experience of my life. If you're a minority this school is going to steal your soul. I'm suffering from PTSD after only two years spent on that campus.
St Mary's was a beautiful school it was by the water the people that i was around were all so kind and were helpful I cannot wait to go to school here. It is a great environment for learning and was peaceful and the professors seemed great and very helpful and many people told me that they loved the school
An awesome college with great teachers, who are always willing to help you out. The athletics are great; they are competitive, but there is still a focus on school. Your coaches realize that you are there for school first, and that is the main priority.
Wish I didn't drop out, had a really good time and hopefully will be attending again sometime in the future.
St. Mary's is a beautiful campus. Like all colleges, it has it's issues. The campus works hard to make sure that when there is an issue it gets fixed in a timely manner. The professors are all fantastic and the students (for the most part) are kind and outgoing.
I absolutely loved my time at St. Mary's and wouldn't trade it for the world. Attending a small liberal arts school afforded me unique opportunities, like working as a TA my freshman year. The professors are enthusiastic and accessible. The students are quirky and the campus has a family feel. Because of that, rumors spread quickly and the latest campus incident can quickly dampen the mood. However, to me, the benefits outweigh the cons. There is not much to do in the greater community, but campus is so beautiful that sometimes it's hard to leave anyway. The career center was really helpful when I was searching for opportunities both during and after college.
Professors really care about the success of their students. They are always willing to go the extra mile. The small feel makes you feel at home. The students attending are very judgemental free. It is a great environment. Food is AMAZING
I got involved in Athletics however I found it difficult to communicate with the school about billing. I love the atmosphere and it is a very welcoming community.
Hidden gem of a school! Rigorous academics that challenge you in the best of ways. Students are special and there is a really unique sense of community here where everyone is essentially a big family. It is in a rural area though, so if bonfires, a beautiful river, and gorgeous nature are up your alley then this is the school for you!
The campus is amazing. Nothing beats a close-knit community right on the water! Every school I visited, I continuously thought to myself "this is great... but it's not St. Mary's." Everything is perfect about St. Mary's. The small class sizes, the dedicated teachers, and it's the most affordable waterfront place you can find! The only red flag I see from St. Mary's is the limited majors. Lucky for me, I am studying to be a teacher in the St. Mary's five year teaching program. However, not everyone can be so lucky. The educational side to St. Mary's may not be for everyone, but the campus is to die for!
Start Your Review of St. Mary's College of Maryland
I love the small feel of the campus. There is a lack of an overwhelming feeling when I step into my classes due to their smaller class sizes, which is a bonus for me. The professors are incredibly helpful and understanding, and I have found all of my classes thus far to be incredibly helpful. It also helps that the campus is quite beautiful, especially the sunsets over the St. Mary's River!
I made more contacts at St. Mary's than many of my peers and friends at other much larger institutions because of St. Mary's small size. You will see every student on the walking path to class, in the Great Hall for meals, at the waterfront for recreation and relaxation. I enjoyed the academic rigor and variety of my courses and left college feeling more capable of learning things for myself and exploring the world around me. St. Mary's cherishes and encourages the individual while promoting community and preserving the natural environment.
My experience at St. Mary's College of Maryland has been wonderful so far. My professors are great and invested in our education. Everyone here is friendly along with the beautiful landscape of our campus that gives off a pleasant calm needed during the day to day of a college student.