St. Lawrence University Reviews

Great academics, involved student body, great alumni network, and professors that are involved in students future
Students are much more diverse than you'd think and passionate about SLU. I love the walkable campus life and even to downtown for a night out. Teachers are there for the students and approachable. The freshman year is cool outside of the box learning experience that helps you bond with one another. Study abroad programs are strong as well. Food in the dining halls is quite good too and there are plenty of options for vegans and omnivores. The biggest pain is getting there but once you've arrived, you're in for a great life experience!
St. Lawrence is a good school with a tight community of students. The teachers are all very smart in their fields and make you want to learn.
Start Your Review of St. Lawrence University
St. Lawrence University is a great liberal arts school that has an outstanding alumni network. I have been able to get lots of one on one help from professors which has made it possible for me to succeed as a student. Working for college admissions has also been an amazing experience and has made me into a much stronger public speaker and has opened my eyes to new opportunities.
I grew up in the area, so I thought coming back would be an okay idea. Soon I found out I was wrong. The students are mainly rich, preppy, snooty students. The professors have a mind of their own and don’t notice if something is wrong. I had zero advising. All of this led me to feel extremely alone, anxious, and had no help with what to do next. The food is terrible and living in a further away dorm from everyone else doesn’t help. Not recommended at all. There are far better places to go for cheaper and for a better education.
SLU is a school with phenomenal academics and alumni network. The school is very liberal and if you are conservative be prepared not to be heard. Many of the students here portray an entitled vibe because of their parents money, but you will find that at most schools. Athletic's are a big part of the community as well as the night life. There is always something to do Thursday's and Saturdays, but Fridays tend to be a slower night. If you choose to apply or attend SLU and you are a great student academically, you will come out making big bucks. The student to teacher ratio is low, and in my experience I would say 12-1. Furthermore, there so many majors one commit to. However, I wish there was more an emphasis on the Business in the Liberal Arts, but I am still young and have not completely been exposed so I do not know. Overall, if you come to SLU your going to have fun and get a great education.
I have found St. Lawrence University to be a very welcoming community, and have found an abundance of opportunities available to me. The professors are very welcome and knowledgeable in their subjects, and make learning more exciting. I will be studying abroad with a very highly recognized, SLU program next semester. Have very much enjoyed my time here so far.
I see others comment that it’s horrible here because it’s in the middle of nowhere, and I wonder if they didn’t notice that when they visited? It’s definitely rural, and I don’t have any issues with that. Same with the off campus bars and restaurants. A small town is not going to have spectacular nightlife.
The food is ok and definitely gets repetitive in Dana. I like the Pub and use the meal exchange a lot.
There are a lot of affluent white kids, but you can’t magically increase diversity. We do have a pretty good size international student body and I think that helps. If you’re a minority, please apply, that’s how you increase diversity. I am quirky and a bit awkward and I have found a wonderful group of friends, so while you see a lot of preppy kids, I haven’t had any trouble fitting in. I really like my professors so far. I do know some kids who don’t love a professor here and there.
The academics and professors at St. Lawrence are excellent, however there is very little diversity of campus with a majority of the students coming from upper class, wealthy, white families.
Students smart, very preppy, come from a lot of money! Weather not so good.
Athletics very good, very competitive. Students are friendly. Dorms Ok.. newer Dorm is best. Area/community - not much going on. Not many hotels. Winters are cold.
I love the liberal arts education, because it gives em the opportunity to experience material outside my major. The professors are all very dedicated and want to work with students, which is what I wanted in a university.
St. Lawrence University provides a warm, tight-knit community and friendly atmosphere. Academics are great and networking opportunities are endless. Great professors and a great community. Small class sizes with about 25 students in a typical course. Not much to do in Canton, NY but there are always things you can find. One down-side is that there is not much diversity, but I think it is starting to get better.
Attending here after prep school was total downer. The curriculum reads like a midwestern public school. The classes were boring and often taught by assistants. The aura of wannabe preppydom reeked of desperation. And winter lasts from October to April. Then the ice thaws and its Mudville. You'd be better off going to community college or just joining the workforce.
If you're a minority, chances are you won't fit in here. There are minorities on campus, however, they majority is white. And the programs and things to do during the weekend is mostly white-based things. The academics are great, but the social life not so much.
St. Lawrence is incredibly focused on the learning and well-being of its students. St. Lawrence compels students to be well-rounded and worldly in encouraging them to study abroad, join interesting clubs, take a variety of classes, and pursue research. Professors are always there to support students.
Although it may get too cold in the North Country, the extreme cold weather is what leads many of St. Lawrence University's students to be filled with passion, hard-work, and create a strong community with each other. On top of that students in this campus truly care about making a positive mark on the world. This small campus allows for a friendly face in every classroom, club, and dorm life.
Don't come here if you are not a preppy, ignorant and uncultured New Englander. You will find 88% of the students here are like that. No diversity at all. Students here, in general, are completely not interested in the outside world ar all. They want to forever stuck in their own little world and die in their preppy New England dream. Everyone here dresses the same, talk the same, and think the same. Mostly shallow, superficial and uncultured. Too much basicness. Also, if you are from a city, I strongly recommend you do not come here. Trust me, you don't want to deal with the countryside people.However, I do like the professor here. Especially Katherine Wolfe and Olivia Cedric. Academics are descent.
Start Your Review of St. Lawrence University
I transferred to St. Lawrence from another university and am so glad I did. These four years were some of the best of my life. Fantastic people, great professors, strong sense of community.
SLU is an awesome place to go to school! I am only a freshman here, but I have enjoyed by first year so much! Everyone is extremely nice, and it is easy to find a friend group! The campus community is very close, I will say that must be partly due to the fact that off of the campus there isn't much to do! St. Lawrence has great relationships with their alumni, and offers amazing help in career services! Overall, I love it here!
St. Lawrence is truly a family tight unit. It small structure in size does not match up to its full potential. The employees here at SLU invest so much of their time into the students so that we can all get the degree and education we want. There is so many various clubs, athletics and activities to do. The alumni connection branches to all parts of the World which makes this small family into an even bigger one!