Spelman College Reviews

1,068 reviews
My experience at Spelman College has been great! I've met many new people all over the world, learned more about my history of being a descendant of African people, and the environment here breeds greatness.
Being a student at Spelman College, I feel as though I haven't made a better decision in my life. Surrounding myself with so many driven women and men with Morehouse College being right outside the Spelman gates, has been very empowering.
It's a pretty good school, although the fees and tuition is kind of expensive and the campus food isn't worth the money
Start Your Review of Spelman College
i like the atmosphere and the sense of community. I feel as though the environment at spelman is one where someone from far away can feel like family. The sisterhood is amazing. The faith there is outstanding. It was just an overall comfy and cozy place.
Spelman will most likely be worth it after I receive my degree. Currently, it is a money drain. Housing is of just about the lowest quality possible. It's quite unacceptable. The administration is often unnecessarily rude and will give you the runaround before admitting that they don't know the answer to a question or request. This is extremely offputting and quite honestly, discouraging. I wish that the administration here would respect and support that as opposed to seemingly purposely making students feel uncomfortable for simply asking for help. I feel as though many of the people who are supposed to be here for me are snickering and scoffing at me behind my back. Perhaps it's just the price I pay to attend an all women's college. It's just unfortunate that the same cattiness and problematic behavior has seemingly followed me from high school... and by the administration, no less.
Spelman is an amazing institution. The women here are inspiring and the faculty are polite and caring. Being a student here also gives you unique and productive networking and internship opportunities. This school is extremely expensive, but if you can get here it is well worth the price.
I am currently a Freshman at Spelman College. It is an excellent school that pushes you and teaches you how to be your best self. A Spelman College woman is a trail blazer.
I like that they are a very dedicated institution. The classes are rigorous and challenging. I know it will prepare me for Medical School. I wish they had longer cafeteria hours because students get hungry at night. I wish there were places to eat out near by. I like that they had many study abroad programs, which encourage us to travel. There are many organizations available, but I find it a bit difficult to balance a personal life while keeping grades up. I like the African Diaspora and The World class that is required for all students but it's nearly impossible to get a high grade if you don't participate in the class discussion.
Spelman College has a great talk, but not such a great walk. Pros: the school is very invested in bettering its students and the careers department is amazing! Cons: the foods terrible, housing is terrible, and they mostly only care about bettering students who are science majors. OH and the party scene is non-existent.
I enjoy the comradere among women, and
sharing our heritages. I love ❤️ that I have learned about my own culture, and not just read about it, but have been able to participate in marches for injustice to bring notice to issues. Although, Spelman is an HBCU, it does not discriminate on the basis of race, and instead teaches ALL women to believe in themselves, and to empower women to leave a positive mark on this world.
Overall, Spelman is a great college. There are many opportunities given to students in preparation for their careers. The sisterhood is amazing and you meet outstanding individuals who want to see you succeed.
I chose to attend an HBCU because I would be in the midst of a supportive atmosphere, where professors would provide me with a world class education tailored to African-Americans. The smaller class sizes would cater to my academic needs, giving me the opportunity to have an intimate interaction with other individuals striving for black excellence and experience massive growth and a sense of community. By attending an HBCU, I would not only graduate with a degree, but also lifelong friends, a wealth of knowledge and culture, and a plethora of opportunities for a career. As the birthplace of Black Girl Magic, Spelman College is all that and so much more.
Love the energy and diversity at spelman. There are many organizations and clubs to join for any interest or Demographic. The academics are tough but there are countless sources for help and tutoring that If you struggle it is because you did not take advantage of the resources available. The on campus residential life is fun and makes the new adjustment smoother. I love Spelman College and the decision to attend was the best thing I could have done for myself.
Challenges you to be better, but I wish they would remind people that perfection is not attainable and everyone struggles.
The curriculum is challenging but helps prepare you for your future. The classroom settings consist of a close and personal relationship between the teacher and the students. There is an indescribable sisterhood that takes place at Spelman College. At the beginning of my Spelman experience I made so many connections with my fellow peers. Spelman makes sure that this happens through the endless activities such as convocation and events like Olive branch. So far it has been a great experience.
Spelman is an amazing Institution to be apart of. The academic environment and social environment is breath taking and I absolutely love it. This institution will forever be amazing due to the wonderful experiences that come along with an outstanding education.
The dorms are good, the academics are just what I thought they would be. The professors are awesome.
Start Your Review of Spelman College
Spelman is a great school for African American females who are trying to find who they are. Although it is costly it is worth it. It is very hard to receive scholarships because almost every student has a great GPA and the funding is not fully there. If you plan to attend Spelman College you will learn a lot about the black women and how strong we are.
I had an amazing experience at Spelman it lead to opportunities to conduct research with top organizations. Every college has its pros and cons its just a matter of finding what works for me and Spelman worked for me.
When I went on my tour , everyone on campus was so welcoming! My tour guide told me about to the good programs and majors offered.