1. Winfield, KS
  2. 4 Year

Southwestern College - Kansas Reviews

I transferred to this school in order for our family to be closer to my grandparents since they are up in age; it was not the best choice. I am a VERY good athlete, this school has nothing but jealousy towards someone who knows they can & will make towards college and receive a degree. Instead of being proud for someone like myself, jealousy kicks in and there's goes the so-called neighborhood.
I have been enrolled at SWC professional studies for over a year now. The online courses have been easy to handle and the instructors extremely helpful. Even being able to get virtual books have been made easy by identifying books that are mandatory for the classes that I need to take.
The health and safety on campus are great. We do get emails monthly about seminars and educating us on the dangers and how to better aware ourselves in situations and appropriate actions to take. We will have week long 'events' for educating the student body.
The campus housing is pretty awesome! If you needed any kind of maintenance they will be right on it! The housing is always being cleaned so that they are up to par for the students and the RA's. They also have apartment options that way you can have a more feel for independence on the campus.
I was never part of the Greek life on campus. I have heard of the things that they did and it was to make things better. They would participate in the Relay for Life and similar functions.
My experience at this school is just amazing! My freshman year I had fell down the stairs outside of a building and I had three people stop to help me out. One offered to run to my dorm to grab what I needed and the others helped me back up the stairs to my class. That night they came to room to check on me and make sure everything was alright and if I needed anything. From that moment Southwestern College in Winfield, KS has become my home--my community. I would recommend this campus to anyone. This year showed me exactly how much they care about our education. I have found myself 5 credits short and they have found some many ways to make it possible for me to graduate. I have to take those 5 credits in the summer this year. This campus is my Builder Family.
The athletics department is a big part of our campus. A majority of our student body participate in the student sections during all games. One of the great things about our sports teams is that they all support and participate in different departments; such as theatre, music, clubs and groups.
I have a good building. It's nice here
Not a really big thing
I wish our football team was better but other than that its awesome here.
I lived off campus my senior year and it was very worth it. I rate the landlords low because when it comes to fixing things, you're pretty much just gonna have to figure it out for yourself, but they were really nice people. It was about $600 a month for a two bedroom apartment with plenty of space. Washer/dryer not included. It was a really great experience overall though!
There are a lot of fast food options, most aren't that good, but college students don't care really anyway. Braum's Ice cream is the best for that in town, and is consistently good with their food. Again, I mentioned this in the on campus dining, but College Hill Coffee is by far and away the best food option in town, and even if the food looks weird, try it, it's almost a guarantee you'll like it!
  • Food
They are really strict over things that shouldn't matter so much, and don't care much for making the college experience "socially" fun. If you want to have fun with your friends, you'd better get off campus to do so, because they take the "academic institution" label very seriously.
I'm not paying for my undergraduate education...yet. It is not cost-effective at all to go to the school. It is very, very, very expensive. My parents still have about 60 grand left to pay off. My parents took care of that stuff for me, but the workers in the financial aid office try to be helpful when you have question. But, pardon my language, you'll pay out the ass to go to Southwestern College.
  • Value
I wasn't much of a partier in college, when I did it was with my teammates and it was always fun. No need to go out to the bars because they aren't really that good so stick to not driving and the house party scene.
The dining hall is small, the menu is rather varied but I mainly stuck with the cheeseburgers and salads as those were the best things they served consistently. Outside of campus food College Hill Coffee has the best food in town, over any and everything! It's a little more expensive, but you will not, I repeat, will not, regret eating there! Make sure to use up your flex dollars before the end of the semester because you wont be getting the money back that you've "haven't spent". You've already spent the money, so just use it!
  • Food
Despite my lower ratings for apartments, it's really only poor for the guys that go there. The girls dormitories are great. I loved going to Southwestern, it's really overpriced for the town you're living in, but it was a great experience. I was a runner there and the coaches at the school do a really good job of introducing you to the town and what it's like to live there. They really try to involve all the classes in all the activities available. The houses options vary significantly from very poor to decent apartments. I would suggest living off campus as soon as you can as it is a lot cheaper but overall it was a great experience as the teachers will help you to get what you want when you are moving on from their programs.
Many of the dorms/apartments have not been touched up or truly cleaned in a very long time. It would be nice if they could be cleaned over the summer instead of the cleanliness left to the students moving out.
Applying to the Education program was intricate but important. They make sure that the students they admit into the program are not weirdos.
I like the education program at SC.