Southern Virginia University Reviews

I loved the small class size and the opportunities to participate in almost anything you wanted to. The majors may not be many but the ones they offer are exceptional. I am only a Sophomore and an able to do internships and gain real work experience. We are taught by the professors and not TA's. I have not had a class with more then 25 students in it. I can email my professors and have them email me back the same day. I feel safe here. There are activities for everyone. The student life staff works hard to provide fun things do to. The President is even very accessible.
Though it is a small University it provides a low stress environment for students to be successful. It is affordable and provides a well rounded college experience with a bit of Southern charm.
Southern Virginia is a great school that enables you to meet many people and get to know them personally because of its small class sizes. Professors are more than happy to help students with questions about assignments, tests, and school in general. Because the class sizes are few, you are able to get to know your professors on a personal level and it makes the classes more enjoyable. If your looking for a school that has good moral values and a friendly environment, Southern Virginia University is perfect!
Review Southern Virginia University
This was such a rewarding school to go to! I would not trade my time learning and growing there. The professors are so knowledgeable and have a lot of real world experience. You are able to have a personal relationship with them because class sizes are small. It's a great environment to learn in!
SVU is magnificent. the campus and surrounding city are small, so there are limited opportunities for jobs and parties, but DC, the beach, and countless historic sites are all within a few hours, so weekend trips are easy to plan. the faculty is extremely qualified and dedicated to helping students succeed instead of weeding out the ones who do not care. the building is old and historic, but beautiful and charming.
I love SVU. It's a small school, which comes with the benefits of the professors being approachable with questions, and even being open to becoming friends with the students. The campus itself is rather small, easily walkable in only 10 minutes or so. The internet speed there was not so great when I was there, but I've been told they've made that faster. It is somewhat lacking in degrees, I admit, but they've added several in the time I've attended.
Too much money for a low funded school. Communication are slow and not coordinated there's a lot of potential in the college maybe in the future if it can grow and become more diverse with outsider ideas.
Overall, my experience with Southern Virginia University was rewarding, and although difficult, was a good learning experience. The professors were fantastic and actually cared about you as an individual, and your scholastic needs. To let the students have a more individualized learning experience the class sizes tended to be small. The surrounding scenery and architecture of the building were beautiful, though the latter is in great need of repair. For those who had dietary restrictions, the food was sub-par. It is generally not a party or drug school, and the students tended to be ignorant of those who were not of the same religion.
The professors are wonderful and pay attention to each individual student. The area is beautiful. However, there wasn't a lot of diversity. Also, the school needs to work on communication throughout its departments.
I like the class room sizes . I also like that the teacher can be one on one with you.That they can send you out into the world ready for work. I wouldn't change anything
This school is the single most important that got into medical school and I am now a physician because of it. The academics are incredible. At times as a student I felt the school was too academically rigorous; I now see the benefit that rigor had in my academic development. I have also seen great improvement in the way the honor code is interpreted and enforced in comparison to how it was when I was a student. They have changed to avoid judgement and allow for more personal expression.
SVU is a great school. The teachers are helpful and it's very easy to get help and pass classes.
It is a religious school and you have to live by their standards, which includes a dress code and strict housing policy. It seeps into personal lifestyle and it's a very hard environment to live in if you do not adhere to that belief system. I would not recommend the school to anyone who is not LDS. However, if you are I cannot think of a better more friendly and supportive environment to earn a Bachelors.
I think it would be a better, more accessible school if there wasn't such a strict honor code. As is the case on most campuses, partying will happen, despite the restrictions. And rape does occur, but in cases where alcohol is involved women do not come forward because of the added fear of getting suspended or expelled because the broke the honor code. I'd like to see a more open door policy, so students can feel at ease when reporting sexual assault, or abuse of any kind.
Southern Virginia university is a hidden treasure among Latter-day Saint communities. While it holds the same standards as utah's BYU, the small student body and the liberal arts experience allow for effective professor-student relationships and a personalized four years.
SVU is awesome. I am amazed everyday of the opportunities and the desire for greatness that the campus brings. Everyone is so freindly and the professors are awesome!
My experience at SVU has been a fruitful experience. The professors are eager to engage into conversations of immense depth and meaning. The assignments that I have received have pushed me to new limits toward sharpening my work ethic. The school continues diligently to establish a solid program and they are heading in the right direction. For anyone looking for a positive environment founded on faith I say come join with us.
SVU has an absolutely stunning campus and the college community is friendly and hard working. The music program, which is one I have been looking into a lot of recent, and interested in pursuing, is very professional, and willing to answer any questions, and invest time and effort into bringing hard working and talented students into their program. I am impressed with the quality of the student participation in answering questions specific to the music department, or questions about the general campus and living. Quality of professors is very high, and I have talked to some of them on a personal basis, and they too are willing to invest time into encouraging and helping students. Overall, a wonderful University, and I would proudly say, whether this was anonymous or not, that I consider this University one of the highest of its kind in the nation.
Southern Virginia University is a historical campus overlooking the charming small town of Buena Vista. Classes are intimate and the professors have a good relationship with each of their students. There are a wide variety of clubs, such as Mixed Martial Arts, The SVU Underground, The choir group, "Fading Point", the comedy troupe, "Shenanigans", and much more. Performances put on by the students are remarkable and professional. 95% of the student body identifies as Christian and Sundays are observed with church services and hymns. I would like to see more affordable tuition so that the students can keep coming to this wonderful campus to study and grow.
Review Southern Virginia University
Great growing school with lots of exciting things happening! This has been the perfect place for me to learn how to think and learn how to be accountable for my own success. This is a place where people come to thrive
Fantastic School. I'm a senior and I have loved the quality education I have received and the opportunity to participate in multiple meaningful extra-curriculars. I am a full-time student involved in the men's tennis team, student-athlete advisory committee, and part time work at the school doing actual work in the business world. The Professors are incredible. I literally texted 2 of my professors last week to ask for help on homework problems and they helped me. They actually care about you, your education, and your future opportunities. I would recommend it to anyone. Students are also nice, lots of LDS kids.
SVU is definitely growing so it has a ton of potential.