1. Buena Vista, VA
  2. 4 Year

Southern Virginia University Reviews

Southern Virginia university is a hidden treasure among Latter-day Saint communities. While it holds the same standards as utah's BYU, the small student body and the liberal arts experience allow for effective professor-student relationships and a personalized four years.
SVU is awesome. I am amazed everyday of the opportunities and the desire for greatness that the campus brings. Everyone is so freindly and the professors are awesome!
My experience at SVU has been a fruitful experience. The professors are eager to engage into conversations of immense depth and meaning. The assignments that I have received have pushed me to new limits toward sharpening my work ethic. The school continues diligently to establish a solid program and they are heading in the right direction. For anyone looking for a positive environment founded on faith I say come join with us.
SVU has an absolutely stunning campus and the college community is friendly and hard working. The music program, which is one I have been looking into a lot of recent, and interested in pursuing, is very professional, and willing to answer any questions, and invest time and effort into bringing hard working and talented students into their program. I am impressed with the quality of the student participation in answering questions specific to the music department, or questions about the general campus and living. Quality of professors is very high, and I have talked to some of them on a personal basis, and they too are willing to invest time into encouraging and helping students. Overall, a wonderful University, and I would proudly say, whether this was anonymous or not, that I consider this University one of the highest of its kind in the nation.
Southern Virginia University is a historical campus overlooking the charming small town of Buena Vista. Classes are intimate and the professors have a good relationship with each of their students. There are a wide variety of clubs, such as Mixed Martial Arts, The SVU Underground, The choir group, "Fading Point", the comedy troupe, "Shenanigans", and much more. Performances put on by the students are remarkable and professional. 95% of the student body identifies as Christian and Sundays are observed with church services and hymns. I would like to see more affordable tuition so that the students can keep coming to this wonderful campus to study and grow.
Great growing school with lots of exciting things happening! This has been the perfect place for me to learn how to think and learn how to be accountable for my own success. This is a place where people come to thrive
Fantastic School. I'm a senior and I have loved the quality education I have received and the opportunity to participate in multiple meaningful extra-curriculars. I am a full-time student involved in the men's tennis team, student-athlete advisory committee, and part time work at the school doing actual work in the business world. The Professors are incredible. I literally texted 2 of my professors last week to ask for help on homework problems and they helped me. They actually care about you, your education, and your future opportunities. I would recommend it to anyone. Students are also nice, lots of LDS kids.
We have a high rate of graduating students and the career center works hard to help the students get jobs during and after college and advance onto grad schools.
  • College Freshman
  • Value
SVU is definitely growing so it has a ton of potential.
It's a small town. so not much goes on and everyone looks out for each other. If you don't feel comfortable walking home or anywhere on campus, there is a shuttle and campus security sometimes picks you up.
Little different because it is so small.
  • Value
They know me by name and are extremely helpful in all that I do.
Safest community in the state of Virginia.
I like it. Good space and good place to live.
  • Housing
It's a very small school so the facilities are not the best.
I absolutely love the work the teachers put into teaching and helping the students succeed.
I haven't really looked into a job on campus. I have a job off-campus.
  • 6 months ago
  • Value
So far I love the professors I've met. I know that they care about me and that they want the best for me.
Everyone lives by an honor code, and that includes chastity. I trust my peer's integrity to that code.
I live in The Lofts, and it's the best! Good sized dorm room and bathroom and a lot of lobby area to hang out with friends and such.
  • 6 months ago