Southern Methodist University Reviews

1,367 reviews
Southern Methodist is a university close to home and I feel like the environment and culture is amazing.
I really enjoy the friendliness of the students and faculty at SMU! Saturdays during football season are a great chance to meet people on the Blvd and to take a study break. Lots of people enjoy Dedman Rec Center, where you can meet new people while you get your sweat on. Plus, there's plenty to do in the DFW area!
SMU wasn't even on the top five on my application list. Now is my third year here and my view has shifted. The most crucial element that breaks my negative opinion to SMU is the quality of professors. All the professors that I have met are both highly responsible and helpful. I'm surprised that almost all of them are from schools like Princeton and Yale. I don't want to emphasize on the glamor of the Ivy League, but it is a factor to see how SMU can attract some highly regarded professors in the U.S. Of course, it is not a determined element to guarantee teaching quality. I genuinely appreciate how every single professor dedicates time to talk with students even when it's out of the office hours. They not only help to solve the academic questions but also willing to chat and give guidance to some personal issues. I hear from many of my friends who also have the same comment to their professors. They are not just here to teach; they treat their students like family.
Start Your Review of Southern Methodist University
frats don't own their houses so they rent out clubs and bars to "party." no college town and you can't walk anywhere. Everyone spends an average of $50 on uber per day.
Southern Methodist University is an excellent place to attend college. Especially if you start out as a freshman, the campus makes it easy to join various organizations as well as Greek life. The faculty is helpful and the advisors know the students by name.
SMU is an outstanding university. It is located in a great area and has many things to do and good restaurants in the surrounding areas of Highland Park, Preston, Greenville and Uptown. The business school is very competitive with an excellent return on investment. The greek life is also very prevalent on campus. The student life is great and SMU provides students with many opportunities to learn and grow as leaders.
SMU is such an amazing school. The connections you make are phenomenal and the friendships will last a lifetime. The campus is also beautiful and there is always something to do because there are so many parties and it is so close to the city!
The quality of student that got into SMU 10 years ago could not get in today. The incoming class of 2021 has an act middle 50% of 29-33. in 2008 the class of 2012 had a 24-28. The overall quality of the student population has been rapidly growing. The classes are small and the intern and job prospects are incredible. Sports are trending up as is diversity. Most of my friends are here on scholarship and they built housing only 3 years ago for about 1300 students. There is always something happening on campus or in your residence hall. The surrounding suburbs are some of the safest in the country and having Dallas 5 minutes away is great if you like to go to museums or the arts districts. Couldn't imagine myself anywhere else and thankful for being at an excellent school.
-Good student to professor ratio. - The Lyle school of Engineering has a high female ratio.
- Classrooms are well equipped and distant students have access to recordings of teachings, which I think is really cool
- You're given $100 print credit as an engineering student
While SMU is a good school overall, they tend to have issues prioritizing their budget. Our tuition and alumni donations are spent on things we don't really need, like replacing all of the flowers around campus every season, or remodeling several areas of campus which were already functional. Many members of the administration (and much of the student body) puts a strong focus on aesthetics rather than substance.
During freshman orientation, we got to explore the beautiful campus, talk to upperclassmen and ask them any questions, and got one-on-one advising when making our fall schedules. The days approaching orientation, I thought I would be alone since I was the only one from my high school attending SMU. However, when I arrived, I made instant connections; the group I was with quickly became the first friends I would make before even starting college. SMU priority during freshman orientation was not making sure we got registered for college or making sure our schedules were perfect, it was making sure that the incoming freshman class was comfortable to start making connections with people we never meet before and that the upperclassmen made sure the freshman knew that they would be there for us if we needed anything. Although I haven't started my freshman year of college yet, I am looking forward to starting it my SMU.
This university is amazing! I feel like it has really opened doors to new opportunities while also having a fun atmosphere.
Came in thinking it would be a great experience, but upon arrival I realized this was the wrong choice.
Beautiful campus, great greek life and traditions, friendly people and great help with financial aid.
SMU is exactly what I wanted from college and so much more. It's a place where I found myself and really grew, and everyone I talk to has no regrets about choosing it. The campus is BEAUTIFUL and super easy to get around. The dorms are all great, some are very new, some are big, and some have the best location possible, there are pros to each and every dorm. The food is good enough, but you will find yourself eating off campus on most weekends because the dining halls close at 7 pm on the weekends. There's always something to do on or off campus. The party scene is incredible - mostly at bars and clubs that frats have rented out, and there's always at least two or three big name artists every year who perform at the parties. The academics can be as easy or as hard as you make them, if you choose easy classes and you always go to class, then it'll be easy. But if you choose hard classes and never go to them, then you'll find it more difficult. What you put in is what you get out.
The academics are very engaging, and the professors care about their subjects. However, there is sometimes clear divisions between "economic classes," and everything is really expensive. Also, for a very nice school, the dorms are not as nice. The newer dorms experienced a bunch of plumbing problems, and the older ones have really small rooms. The communities within the dorms were very welcoming and friendly though.
I had an amazing experience at SMU. Although I changed majors in between, the transition was smooth and supportive. I had various research experiences while attending SMU on and off campus. The professors are very passionate and supportive of their students. The campus itself is very beautiful all four seasons. During football season, there are many events on campus that involves enjoyable food and giveaways.
Start Your Review of Southern Methodist University
Gorgeous Worldclass Campus with an Ivy League vibe. The surrounding area is big city but retains a small town feel. I ranked this University not as a student but a short-term neighbor who walked the Campus & local area for excercise & occasionally used the Law Library. Law Library is awesome & helpful! When I stepped off Campus & visited nearby restaurants as a lone female I was followed by extremely unsavory people. I got stalked by drug dealer/rapist types. I was student age in appearance. The "Neighbors" are optimistic about everything & everyone and that results in a delusional attitude about personal safety & student safety!!
Excellent campus and reputation; good professors, lots of subjects to choose from. In a great metropolis.
SMU offers a very high quality education and is located on a very beautiful campus. Furthermore, SMU has comparatively excellent dining and the residential commons are home to an absolutely charming community-oriented atmosphere. The faculty here is world-class and students have a very high chance of making a living in their chosen field. Despite all the good, it should be known that SMU has a very high total cost of attendance, being somewhere in the $70,000 a year range.