Southern Methodist University Reviews

1,381 reviews
SMU is a great university. All of their schools (Lyle, Cox, etc) are fantastic and the schools have some amazing professors. However, beware of facilities. Half the dorms are in terrible conditions while the other half are nearly brand new. The older dorms are a disaster (power problems, no hot water sometimes) while the new ones are usually in pretty good condition (they too have their moments). However, you only have to live on campus for two years. Additionally, around half the student body is involved in Greek Life, and rush can be extremely competitive if that is something you're interested in. Overall, this school is a lot of fun, but also requires a lot of academic focus.
It is a relatively small university compared to other public and private universities in Texas. The classes are also small as a result. Intro classes are some of the bigger classes but you still have time to go and speak to a professor during office hours. The dining hall food leaves more to be expected as after the first year you get tired of eating the same food over and over again. During certain festive periods, the dining halls serve different types of food such as State Fair night (corn dogs and funnel cake). The campus community is strong and it makes it easier to connect with those around you and enjoy your time there. In general, SMU is a good place to grow and make connections.
I am a recent graduate of Southern Methodist University. It was an amazing experience from start to finish. Knowledgable professors with real world experience, a well-connected student body, and up-and-coming athletics. Everything is growing at SMU in a great way. I would recommend the school to anyone looking!
Start Your Review of Southern Methodist University
As far as academics goes, you definitely get what you pay for. Having a degree from Cox will get you places and you will build your network like never before. As far as the people go, I mean its SMU. 98% of people are in greek life and wealthy. Definitely smart, but entitled, judgy and snobby.
As a parent of a sophomore, we have been extremely pleased with SMU. The campus is gorgeous. All of the new student and parent orientation sessions were comprehensive and very well done. Our child has had an excellent experience with housing in the Commons. He has enjoyed his classes with engaging professors who seem to care about his success. He started his freshman year with quite a few hours of AP credit. He has been able to chart his own path regarding his majors and minors. We are all happy with the SMU community.
SMU has been a great college experience. The faculty truly care about you - not just your grade in the class. Although SMU is pricey, it is worth the top notch education that you will receive.
Overall, the university is boosted. Classes are small with the exception of lower level classes. Some buildings are old and nasty. I sometimes question why tuition is so high. The student life is fun and elaborate, as a lot of money goes towards these campus events. The professors are average and some actually care about education.
I love the campus, it is beautiful. I like the small classroom size. The Greek Life is great. There could be a better assortment of food. I love that they have Starbucks in the Library . There is always something going on at campus.
SMU has amazing academic programs, however, I feel that it is easy to feel lost on this campus if you don't fit into the predominant social group. There are many stereotypes that are associated with this university, but one that holds true is how prevalent greek life is on campus.
The university has a unique curriculum that allows students to not only focus exclusively on their area of study, but allows flexibility to allow the student to study everything they're interested in. The classes are rigorous, but the professors have a clear value of learning over grades.
SMU has provided a unique establishment of community in order for all students to feel welcome! However, the diversity presented within the school is quite low. There are sparse percentages of Latinos, Hispanics, African Americans, and Asians. Even though this is the case, the gradual enrollment of multiple international students does decrease the evident ethnic gap among students. Additonally, many of the teachers and remainder of the faculty are friendly and supportive for all students to succeed. With constant reminders regarding the A-LEC center and its workshops, students are free to ask questions from a variety of multiple disciplines to tutors who are readily available! Without a doubt, the student life at SMU is the best!
I think SMU is a fantastic school and the faculty really works with students to make sure they are well equipped and prepared for the real world
It's a beautiful campus with highly rated law and business colleyes. From my experience so far the science, especially geoscience department is highly under-rated. My professors have both impeccable backgrounds and projects for those who want to work in industry or remain in academics to proceed into high levels of research.
The campus is always well-kept and well maintained. The teacher to student ratio is excellent and I love the community and unity on the campus.
I love my time at SMU. It is a very beautiful school and the majority of the staff are super friendly and very helpful. There are a couple things I would change about the application process, but I am still happy I came to SMU.
Southern Methodist is a university close to home and I feel like the environment and culture is amazing.
I really enjoy the friendliness of the students and faculty at SMU! Saturdays during football season are a great chance to meet people on the Blvd and to take a study break. Lots of people enjoy Dedman Rec Center, where you can meet new people while you get your sweat on. Plus, there's plenty to do in the DFW area!
Start Your Review of Southern Methodist University
SMU wasn't even on the top five on my application list. Now is my third year here and my view has shifted. The most crucial element that breaks my negative opinion to SMU is the quality of professors. All the professors that I have met are both highly responsible and helpful. I'm surprised that almost all of them are from schools like Princeton and Yale. I don't want to emphasize on the glamor of the Ivy League, but it is a factor to see how SMU can attract some highly regarded professors in the U.S. Of course, it is not a determined element to guarantee teaching quality. I genuinely appreciate how every single professor dedicates time to talk with students even when it's out of the office hours. They not only help to solve the academic questions but also willing to chat and give guidance to some personal issues. I hear from many of my friends who also have the same comment to their professors. They are not just here to teach; they treat their students like family.
frats don't own their houses so they rent out clubs and bars to "party." no college town and you can't walk anywhere. Everyone spends an average of $50 on uber per day.
Southern Methodist University is an excellent place to attend college. Especially if you start out as a freshman, the campus makes it easy to join various organizations as well as Greek life. The faculty is helpful and the advisors know the students by name.