Southern Methodist University Reviews

1,396 reviews
SMU is a good school! Get ready to learn and write tons of essays! But in return its perfect because you'll progress in your writing skills. Really pretty campus overall!
The campus was beautiful and full of life. The academics are outstanding and the councilors really take the time to get to know every student individually. There is so much rich history in Dallas, from the architectural design of the campus, to the football tailgates on SMU boulevard.
I've really enjoyed my time at SMU so far. The academics are great, the campus is beautiful, and there are plenty of organizations to get involved with. The student culture can be a bit materialistic, especially within Greek life, but there are plenty of great kids to go around. Would really recommend SMU to anyone!
Start Your Review of Southern Methodist University
I just completed my first year at SMU, and I'm starting my second this fall. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The academics and professors are very good and the class sizes are smaller than at a large university, which allows for a better learning environment and more time with the professors. The campus is gorgeous and has been rated the most beautiful college campus in Texas. Although I don't live on campus, I've been told that the dorms are nice and the food is very good. There are also ample student resources and organizations here.
SMU is a private school which offers world-class programs taught by experienced working professors! My program is for working professionals so all my courses are from 6-9pm! The campus is safe and beautiful. Professors want to help you succeed!
SMU is providing excellent customer service and my professors take the time to answer all my concerns and are always encouraging and supportive.
After my first year at SMU, there were specific qualities that I loved, while also some that I did not favor. Something I feel the university is exceptional at is providing a superior education. The school accomplishes this by having small class room sizes, and dedicated professors. These two aspects enhance student's learning capabilities and promote relationships. Student life is very prominent at SMU, with hundreds of organizations/clubs, it is hard to not find somewhere you belong, or something you enjoy doing.
I believe that this university helped me grow both personally and intellectually. SMU is a smaller school with significantly less students than most known colleges. This can be good or bad depending on what you prefer. However, I have always succeeded better in smaller education environments, and that is a reason I feel contributes to my overall success at SMU.
They are very stingy with their money. They are reluctant to give it away to students who need it and racism is a huge problem among the administration. The financial aid advisers rarely know how to help or offer help and everything is a process. They make it very hard to get anything done there properly especially for the cost
I am a Tower Scholar, BBA Scholar, and University Honors Program member. I had a tough start at SMU because I am personally nerdier than a lot of the demographic. However, after I started making friends on campus my overall experience changed. I always thought the academics were good; I am also in the most rigorous programs on campus. From an academic perspective, I feel really valued as a student. I am now starting to find my place on campus socially. Tuition is VERY expensive. Without scholarships, I could not go here. I have a half tuition scholarship and a business school school specific scholarship. Even with $32,500 annually in scholarships, I still struggle to afford SMU.
Overall, SMU has probably one of the worst college atmospheres in the country. I found the level of pretentiousness and entitlement just unbelievable. There's an abnormal amount of wealth and students are out of touch with reality. I also want to emphasize that YOU ARE LOOKED DOWN UPON IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF GREEK LIFE. People wonder what's wrong with you if you don't rush, but then if you're cut during recruitment (so so many people are) you're still judged. This school is full of people in their own bubble who truly lack empathy and compassion for others. It's all just a big competition--who is in the best sorority or fraternity, who has the latest and most expensive Gucci bag, who goes on the most lavish vacations. I am not exaggerating and that's why I'm writing this review. While the academics are great and there's a beautiful campus, I truly hope you take into consideration this overwhelmingly toxic environment. I had no idea of the extent of it as an incoming freshman.
SMU is the best decision I made. I am so happy with every aspect of the school. From the professors, to the dorms, to the athletics, it is the perfect fit for me. I am a BBA Scholar and I am enrolled in the Cox Business School. The Professors are great and class size is small so you have a personal relationship with your teachers. I highly recommend SMU to everyone looking to attend a top university in an amazing city.
SMU is a great school with wonderful facilities and amazing professors, depending on what your major is in. The students can be pretentious. The Greek life is very dominant here. You're either Greek or a nobody (Greeks refer to them as GDIs).
An amazingly beautiful campus with great resources. The school really cares about and takes care of its students.
My experience at Southern Methodist University has been amazing because they have an amazing environment, people, cultures, sports, and most importantly education to whatever you have a passion for. I would like to see change that they’re be a little more diversity between students so they can encourage other ethnic groups to come apply.
I love SMU. It's a beautiful campus and the faculty truly cares about seeing students succeed. I believe there's somewhere for everyone to get connected, no matter what you're into. However, tuition costs are something that is definitely a con for this school. Tuition is already pushing $70k and increases every year, which is ridiculous considering how much the dorms and food suck.
SMU is a great university. All of their schools (Lyle, Cox, etc) are fantastic and the schools have some amazing professors. However, beware of facilities. Half the dorms are in terrible conditions while the other half are nearly brand new. The older dorms are a disaster (power problems, no hot water sometimes) while the new ones are usually in pretty good condition (they too have their moments). However, you only have to live on campus for two years. Additionally, around half the student body is involved in Greek Life, and rush can be extremely competitive if that is something you're interested in. Overall, this school is a lot of fun, but also requires a lot of academic focus.
It is a relatively small university compared to other public and private universities in Texas. The classes are also small as a result. Intro classes are some of the bigger classes but you still have time to go and speak to a professor during office hours. The dining hall food leaves more to be expected as after the first year you get tired of eating the same food over and over again. During certain festive periods, the dining halls serve different types of food such as State Fair night (corn dogs and funnel cake). The campus community is strong and it makes it easier to connect with those around you and enjoy your time there. In general, SMU is a good place to grow and make connections.
Start Your Review of Southern Methodist University
I am a recent graduate of Southern Methodist University. It was an amazing experience from start to finish. Knowledgable professors with real world experience, a well-connected student body, and up-and-coming athletics. Everything is growing at SMU in a great way. I would recommend the school to anyone looking!
As far as academics goes, you definitely get what you pay for. Having a degree from Cox will get you places and you will build your network like never before. As far as the people go, I mean its SMU. 98% of people are in greek life and wealthy. Definitely smart, but entitled, judgy and snobby.
As a parent of a sophomore, we have been extremely pleased with SMU. The campus is gorgeous. All of the new student and parent orientation sessions were comprehensive and very well done. Our child has had an excellent experience with housing in the Commons. He has enjoyed his classes with engaging professors who seem to care about his success. He started his freshman year with quite a few hours of AP credit. He has been able to chart his own path regarding his majors and minors. We are all happy with the SMU community.