1. South Portland, ME
  2. 2 Year

Southern Maine Community College Reviews

Great professors, great campus, great food, and for students who are adults/parents, and work full time, good class times to work around your schedule.
MORE Classes need to be offered at their Satellite Locations. IF THEY ADVERTISED it better, they would get more students from as far away as Fryeburg and parts of Oxford County as well as more students who live in the Lakes Region area of Maine attending these locations for classes instead of looking at other schools that do. All of the satellite locations indicate the same thing--that SMCC and CMCC do not talk to each other as far as what they're offering for classes and how many students would be willing to travel to a satellite location for these classes. The instructors at SMCC's "Off Campus- Satellite Locations" are excellent.
I really enjoy completing my degree at SMCC. I love the atmosphere, the beautiful landscape, and the teachers/class sizes. Almost all of the teachers I have had were very knowledgeable and passionate about their professions. It was amazing learning from them. I have learned more than I ever could have imagined, I am very glad I started my educational and professional career at Southern Maine Community College.
IT IS A GREAT EXPERIENCE TO BE THERE. THE ACADEMIC PROGRAM IS A GREAT ONE. THERE ARE MANY OF OPPORTUNITIES TO DEVELOP YOURSELF INTELLECTUALLY AND SOCIALLY. THE ASSISTANCE IS GREAT. THEY HELP YOU TO GROW AND PROVIDE YOU RESOURCES TO SUCCEED.
Very liberal. Very diverse and experienced teachers. Lots of on campus activities and groups. Beautiful Campus. Gorgeous location by the ocean.
The nursing program is amazing. There are top of the line simulating robots that allows the students to be very interactive and creates a very realistic feel. Nursing is a challenging profession to learn, and it reflects in the workload. Southern Maine Community College students do clinicals at Maine Medical Center, the top ranked hospital in Maine. Many students are offered jobs or internships following the clinicals.
Southern Maine Community College is a school for everyone. It is a very diverse school, and is a comfortable learning environment for all ages. There are many clubs provided, the professors and other students are relatively friendly and approachable. This school also offers two campuses, which is great if you live locally, one might offer less of a commute. The South Portland campus is right on the ocean, so in between classes you can relax by the water, do some homework, or take a little hike to Bug Light. I would, and will, continue going to this school until I get my associates degree, and from then I will be transferring to continue my studies. If I could start over, I would potentially try to go to another community college to start my degree, only because my specific degree (nursing) has a very long wait period, and you cannot go onto the wait list until you have completed all prerequisites, so my associates degree that should only take two years will take 3. This school does however have higher standards and graduating nurses have a better success rate when moving forward in the field.
Everyone at SMCC is friendly and helpful. The professors really care about their students, and want them to succeed.
I honestly do not know too much about this.
  • College Junior
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
I honestly do not know too much about other courses. I know there is a plethora of courses you could take and major in. I've heard quite a great amount of things about the professors. Overall good things about them too, such as how nice and diligent they are to work with you. To my understanding they hired the best people they could for the classes they offer.
So far I haven't heard too much about these types of things for programs other than mine. Sadly I'm a little self-oriented when it comes to these things. I know if you are going to school for Culinary Arts there are plenty of these opportunities once you are enrolled.
  • College Junior
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
My Major is Culinary Arts and one of the cool things about Southern Maine is that the professors and the entire program is apart of this organization called the ACF which stands for The American Culinary Federation. This program helps students like me and everyone that is going to school for something dealing with food, get scholarships to further their careers in college and in the real world. They have lessons to teach you things you already didn't know they have volunteer opportunities which help you get some experience with catering.
This College is great. I've met with some of the professors. They are easy to talk to and are so very willing to help in all your endeavors. Just be willing to take the first step, and let them know what it is you are trying to ask of them. They will always try to the best of their ability to help you.
Online classes are the best.
Great help from the career
  • College Senior
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
I had a great experience since I'm at SMCC.
  • College Senior
  • 8 months ago
I'm doing good so far.
At SMCC, there is a place for everyone.
Lots of classes offered throughout the day and some on the weekend, scheduling around work was easy for me.
My major has experienced professionals