Southern Illinois University Carbondale Reviews

1,759 reviews
So far it's been smooth sailing with the occasional mishaps. In general the University has been a great experience, and the only thing I could think of changing is my attitude towards work ethic.
Overall a good university. I was a student when SIUC did not have a permanent Chancellor and when budget cuts where occurring. Even with this, it made the transition from high school to college life very easy. There is something for everyone there.
My college experience was great. I had some really good but tough professors. i picked classes that I knew I would enjoy, the core chemistry classes are difficult but manageable with a 16/17 credit semester.
Review Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale has been so good to me so far! Freshman year was absolutely amazing from the people, to the classes, to the extracurricular activities! I was extremely nervous about coming to college to begin with but there were many resources provided to help me get over my fear and enjoy my college experience.
Ended up being too much of a party school for my liking. It also always felt very unsafe due to high racial and socioeconomic tensions. Farmers do not like inner-city Chicago kids and vice-versa. I always carried pepper spray and still didn't feel safe. There were also 3 reported rapes in one of the towers in one semester.
SIU-C remains a soci-academic bulwark across adamant boundaries. It played and continues to help learners and alumni forge opportunity where adversity exists and catalyze change in the Greater Good's interest. My primacy principled experiences include baseball camp participation for over 5 years, unfettered recreational use of facilities; such as exercise paths at Campus Lake, its beach, the recreational center's fitness and study areas; in conjunction with academic functions toward furthering preparation for college as well as classroom performance upon entrance; e.g. University Honors programs. All in all, SIU-C has been and will continue to contribute its presence to battles and pleasures throughout the remainder of my life.
I liked that it was close to home! Love the atmosphere and meeting new people. The academics could be changed slightly.
I love the campus and the small town feel of the town. The advisors really need to get it together though.
So amazing! I feel so safe and included. Amazing college town! Dorm life is awesome. Great research university.
It was ok at first but the longer your here the worse it gets.It isn't really safe ,there is a racist town very close and they come around very often. School is just like highschool and there it's much to do and ever year they keep saying the school might shut down soon.
It is a nice campus with relatively small classes. Professors are always willing to help. Lots of student life but not a big campus
At Southern Illinois University the professors are truly caring and help guide you in a professional manner. They make time for students that need extra help. The school itself has many organizations to join to become part of the Saluki community. If I could change one thing at SIU it would be to improve the dorm food, but then again no one cooks like mom.
The campus was beautiful, and well thought. The dorms are built right next to the campus lake. The faculty, the clubs, and staff are nice and eager to greet people. However what i would like to change is the tile floors of the dorm rooms to carpet rooms except for the bathroom.
While the academics at Southern Illinois University are not exceptional, the campus life and surrounding area make up for it. The professors care about their students, however, since the school focuses on teaching professors, some classes are lack depth. SIUC is surrounded by nature, with many places to hike, making the sights surrounding the school incredible. On top of the beautiful scenery, campus life is booming. The city of Carbondale is known for its bars and large parties. SIU does a good job of keeping students safe during peak party times, hiring a large police force to prevent drunk driving. Overall this is a good school that I would recommend attending.
As an alumni student of SIUC, it was a great roller coaster ride that I continue to reflect upon. My experience in school was great. Living on campus during my first two years was nice. They have a variety of dorm types that can fit you at all levels. The campus is large and beautiful. There is always something to do for fun as well as places to go in order to study. The scenery and wonderful additions for students have made the university a great place to continue an education. They provide many opportunities for students to get involved and an array of skilled teachers. It was a great place to complete my bachelors degree and I still reminisce about it.
The WiFi sucks. If your roommate moves out, they'll force you to either pay more for your room, find a new roommate, or be assigned a random new roommate. The tutoring services are a joke. There's no Easter break. It's just an awful awful school hahah don't go here
Overall, I have had a really great time at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The campus is great, the teachers/professors are very knowledgeable, and the course selection is huge. The are many place for students to hang out that are within walking distance of the campus and there are many apartments also located within walking distance, which is great for the upperclassmen that do not want to live in the dorms anymore. The only thing I would change about the campus is that it is very old, nothing has really be updated since the 1950s-60s, so some things just need repairs, while others need remodeling and such.
Review Southern Illinois University Carbondale
When I first got to SIU I was worried about not making friends. But once I got here I realized how friendly everyone is , including the town of Carbondale. SIU is definitely an amazing school to attend, you just have to make the best of it.
The school overall is good. Most classes are fairly large and usually require specialized books for SIU which makes everything a bit more expensive. The dorms are gross and I would recommend avoiding them at all costs. The campus is gorgeous and the people are friendly, but the overall town of Carbondale is seeming less safe each year.
SIU is a pretty decent school overall. For academics, my professors were very helpful and had in depth understanding of what they were teaching. But it all depends on what major you are taking. I know firsthand that SIU has one of the best aviation programs in the country which made my time at the school totally worth it. If you are an outdoor kind of person, you will find SIU very pleasing. The Giant City state park is nearby which has wonderful hiking trails. SIU's Touch of Nature also organizes a lot of outdoor activities every semester (camping, hiking, canoeing etc.). There are also numerous lakes around to go fishing or canoeing. If you like to party, SIU is a sure bet! Carbondale has really good bars and clubs and there are always parties every weekend. In all, College experience comes down to what you make of it. The school certainly provides everything you would expect in a typical college environment.