Southern Illinois University Carbondale Reviews

1,752 reviews
I love the campus and the small town feel of the town. The advisors really need to get it together though.
So amazing! I feel so safe and included. Amazing college town! Dorm life is awesome. Great research university.
It was ok at first but the longer your here the worse it gets.It isn't really safe ,there is a racist town very close and they come around very often. School is just like highschool and there it's much to do and ever year they keep saying the school might shut down soon.
Review Southern Illinois University Carbondale
It is a nice campus with relatively small classes. Professors are always willing to help. Lots of student life but not a big campus
At Southern Illinois University the professors are truly caring and help guide you in a professional manner. They make time for students that need extra help. The school itself has many organizations to join to become part of the Saluki community. If I could change one thing at SIU it would be to improve the dorm food, but then again no one cooks like mom.
The campus was beautiful, and well thought. The dorms are built right next to the campus lake. The faculty, the clubs, and staff are nice and eager to greet people. However what i would like to change is the tile floors of the dorm rooms to carpet rooms except for the bathroom.
While the academics at Southern Illinois University are not exceptional, the campus life and surrounding area make up for it. The professors care about their students, however, since the school focuses on teaching professors, some classes are lack depth. SIUC is surrounded by nature, with many places to hike, making the sights surrounding the school incredible. On top of the beautiful scenery, campus life is booming. The city of Carbondale is known for its bars and large parties. SIU does a good job of keeping students safe during peak party times, hiring a large police force to prevent drunk driving. Overall this is a good school that I would recommend attending.
As an alumni student of SIUC, it was a great roller coaster ride that I continue to reflect upon. My experience in school was great. Living on campus during my first two years was nice. They have a variety of dorm types that can fit you at all levels. The campus is large and beautiful. There is always something to do for fun as well as places to go in order to study. The scenery and wonderful additions for students have made the university a great place to continue an education. They provide many opportunities for students to get involved and an array of skilled teachers. It was a great place to complete my bachelors degree and I still reminisce about it.
The WiFi sucks. If your roommate moves out, they'll force you to either pay more for your room, find a new roommate, or be assigned a random new roommate. The tutoring services are a joke. There's no Easter break. It's just an awful awful school hahah don't go here
Overall, I have had a really great time at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The campus is great, the teachers/professors are very knowledgeable, and the course selection is huge. The are many place for students to hang out that are within walking distance of the campus and there are many apartments also located within walking distance, which is great for the upperclassmen that do not want to live in the dorms anymore. The only thing I would change about the campus is that it is very old, nothing has really be updated since the 1950s-60s, so some things just need repairs, while others need remodeling and such.
When I first got to SIU I was worried about not making friends. But once I got here I realized how friendly everyone is , including the town of Carbondale. SIU is definitely an amazing school to attend, you just have to make the best of it.
The school overall is good. Most classes are fairly large and usually require specialized books for SIU which makes everything a bit more expensive. The dorms are gross and I would recommend avoiding them at all costs. The campus is gorgeous and the people are friendly, but the overall town of Carbondale is seeming less safe each year.
SIU is a pretty decent school overall. For academics, my professors were very helpful and had in depth understanding of what they were teaching. But it all depends on what major you are taking. I know firsthand that SIU has one of the best aviation programs in the country which made my time at the school totally worth it. If you are an outdoor kind of person, you will find SIU very pleasing. The Giant City state park is nearby which has wonderful hiking trails. SIU's Touch of Nature also organizes a lot of outdoor activities every semester (camping, hiking, canoeing etc.). There are also numerous lakes around to go fishing or canoeing. If you like to party, SIU is a sure bet! Carbondale has really good bars and clubs and there are always parties every weekend. In all, College experience comes down to what you make of it. The school certainly provides everything you would expect in a typical college environment.
SIUC has a beautiful campus set on the southern edge of Carbondale, IL. The university offers a wide variety of majors, and is well known for it's aviation and engineering programs. SIU's system also offers a nursing school, a med school, and a law school. The region of Southern Illinois offers many outdoor activities (i.e., hiking, camping, wine trailing, etc.) and is within hours of St. Louis. Amtrak train service is also available to all stops from Chicago to New Orleans.
I love Southern Illinois University. IN the college of Agriculture, the professors are excellent and care about the success of their students. There is also many hands on opportunities. The campus is beautiful and there is definitely fun to be had if you want it.
Southern Illinois University faculty and staff are very helping when it comes down to making sure that you understand the assignments, or just anything in general. Overall, the campus is very warming and live.
In my opinion, I think SIUC is a great school. Most people say the school just 'isnt right for them' which is a really weird statement to say because well.. what did they expect? Most people also say it's a party school but it's only a party school if you make it one. No one is forcing you to go to parties or anything like that so that argument really doesn't matter. I love my dorm, roommate, dining halls (sometimes), and my classes. I will admit, some of the bigger classes are hard but I definitely love my smaller classes like English and UCOL. Also, I'm a freshman.
Review Southern Illinois University Carbondale
I have just completed my first semester. I really have enjoyed myself and have learned a lot at the same time. The classes we challenging but not to the point to where I could not understand them. Siu was a place where I learned and had fun.
This place is a trash heap. And it is run by idiots. I find myself wondering why anyone goes here especially for as much money as they dooped us into paying. Carbondale is nice. Siu ruins it.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is such a vibrant community. I have visited a few times, and each time I return it is like I see more things I have never seen before. It is a beautiful campus, with beautiful people. Once I saw that school I knew I wanted to be apart of such an awesome atmosphere. It was by far the most sure I had ever been about where I want to attend college. I applied, and a few weeks later I got an acceptance letter. Choosing Carbdonale as the place to continue my education after high school is the best decision I have made. Go Salukis!