Southern Illinois University Carbondale Reviews

1,841 reviews
Very great university and has amazing professors and I am blessed to be on a path to receive my bachelors degree in agribusiness economics. The students here at SIU are great and are very nice.
Overall the univeristy isn't all that great. It is a lot more expensive than other state universities and they overcharge you for almost everything. Also attendance is going down significantly every year. The only reason I am attending this college is because of the phenomenal automotive program they offer. As far as the auto program goes, it could not get much better. It is a family environment and there are so many opportunities for internships and full time positions after graduation. The instructors are wonderful and treat all the students as if they were their own children. It is just a strong supportive environment for students to thrive in.
So far Carbondale has been an amazing place for learning and personal growth. They also helped me in one of my darkest hours. I've also learned many fantastic lessons from the various teachers here. And after a lot of thinking I know that I'm on the right path for success!
Start Your Review of Southern Illinois University Carbondale
The campus is gorgeous, it is very forest like with a beautiful lake on West Campus. The dorms are pretty nice and spacious. The professors are amazing and very helpful and amiable. The professors make being in a classroom/ lecture hall setting very comfortable and entertaining. The food in the dining hall is pretty good as well. There are also a lot of events that happen around campus for many minority groups. There are also a lot of parties that happen with the black fraternities and white fraternities.
I like the many activities and sports that they offer. I think that many of the classes that they offer are good choices and the campus food is very excellent.
I like this college because of it's beautiful campus, small class sizes, and genuine professors. There really isn't much that I would like to change. It has a great meal plan and awesome opportunities.
I absolutely loved everyone I met at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. I mean this literally, but everyone I had gotten the chance to meet and talk to, was extremely welcoming and friendly. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, always willing to help. I had an amazing experience at SIUC and it is because of everyone I got the chance to meet.
The campus is beautiful. There are a variety of degrees to choose from. The professors are knowledgeable and very helpful. The student body is very diverse. Love this place!
Excellent campus life! Many things to do. Lots of opportunities. Beautiful campus. Sports are a very big thing.
If you are looking for a cheaper 4 year school and just trying to get your degree this would be the place to do it.
I've had special times at SIU and overall enjoyed my time here. The campus is beautiful, the area nice, and the people kind, but the leadership of the university has somewhat dampened the good spirit at SIU in recent years. I've made some of my closest friends here and excelled in my studies. The programs here, especially the College of Business, are truly top-notch.
Its an okay school but it is starting to go down hill. I had good times there and bad times. I can't wait to graduate and move on to a new chapter, away from this school.
Hi, i am currently going into my junior year at southern illinois university carbondale and i can honestly say its been a journey. No one ever told me this, it was something i had to learn but college is not hard at all. If you want to succeed you have to put in the work yourself, yeah their maybe some shortcuts sometimes but college takes a lot of focus, and preparation. You got to tell yourself you want it bad enough and put in the effort to get it. No matter how many times you fall down always get up! failure should never be an option for anyone. Being here at SIUC i have learned a lot, and is still learning. Being in college, time management is very important when talking succeeding. If you don't manage your time well from school, RSO's, work , and etc you will be lost and stuck.
I love the campus! I feel like I'm at home. I've made so many college friends and hopefully turn into life long friends. If you like southern country boys then this is the school for you! The education and staff is amazing! will recommend to others!
Southern Illinois University is a fairly small, public university. It is presently under-funded, as are many schools in Illinois. However, this has not stopped Southern Illinois University from doing its best to provide a quality experience for its students. The College of Agricultural Sciences especially has continued to offer many exceptional programs. The COAS has continued to grow in a time when many of the university's colleges have seen a decline in enrollment. I am very grateful for the quality experience they have provided me with.
However, despite my great experience, there are aspects of the university that could be improved. Emphasis is placed on research, and those who participate in research are clearly favored. Unfortunately, the opportunities to get involved in research have continued to dwindle. Furthermore, recent administrative turmoil has caused further stress on the university, and it has been reflected in its operations.
What I liked about Southern Illinois University Carbondale was that everyone at the University was so nice and helpful. If the teachers saw a student struggling they would pull the student aside and set up a plan so they could succeed in their class. The teachers were always available even outside of their office hours. I really enjoy the school and glad I'm a Saluki.
Depressing town matches perfectly with a depressing school. everything is old and not in a cute old vintage way. its very out of date. unless you have access to a car it will be hard to get around. theres barely anything to do there except drink
Start Your Review of Southern Illinois University Carbondale
You can literally find a party everynight if you want to. If you arent into parties, there are plenty of other ways to get involved on campus and find your people.
Overall, my experience has been excellent. The instructors seem to really care about my well-being and academic achievement. I would like to see more of the professors and department heads care that much as well.
I love the school, but unfortunately they are going broke. Enrollment is way down and they started to shut down the towers.