Southern Connecticut State is a public university located in New Haven, Connecticut. It is a mid-size institution with an enrollment of 6,830 undergraduate students. Admissions is somewhat competitive as the Southern Connecticut State acceptance rate is 64%. Popular majors include Liberal Arts and Humanities, Business, and Psychology. Graduating 51% of students, Southern Connecticut State alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $34,200.
Southern Connecticut State University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
Niche may be compensated by the third party lenders and others who place ads on the website. Niche is not a lender and does not endorse the products of these advertisers. Fees that Niche receives for ads do not affect the terms you may be offered by the lender you choose. There are many additional borrowing options available.
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.82 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.87 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.87 responses
Most Popular Majors
Liberal Arts and Humanities329 Graduates
Public Health100 Graduates
Physical Education Teaching and Coaching77 Graduates
Social Work and Youth Services67 Graduates
Speech Language Pathology52 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.106 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.122 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.60 responses
Colleges like Southern Connecticut State University
- BCentral Connecticut State University
- 4 Year
- New Britain, CT
- 1,183 reviews
- B+University of Connecticut - Stamford
- 4 Year
- Stamford, CT
- 172 reviews
- BEastern Connecticut State University
- 4 Year
- Willimantic, CT
- 991 reviews
- B-Western Connecticut State University
- 4 Year
- Danbury, CT
- 720 reviews
Southern Connecticut State University Reviews
I have only completed one semester, but within this term I have experienced the enthusiasm that other students and faculty have for this college. They are extremely welcoming and have a true passion for SCSU. By far one of the most impressive aspects is the wide variety of clubs and activities that the school has for its students. There are so many it is hard to choose from! My professors have been very kind, smart, and inspiring. The music department is filled with life and talent, from its students and staff! I truly have enjoyed my first semester here at Southern.
SCSU is only getting better, especially with President Joe there making such important changes, and advances! I really enjoyed my time there, and will continue my education there come this fall. The school isn't too big so you always see familiar faces, which was nice to me because it felt like the same school every semester, not a different one with strangers everywhere!
SCSU is a fantastic college and really has something for everyone. Whether it's computer science, theater, or biology, Southern has a very informative course to go along with it. The campus is a great place to be with a beautiful Academic Quad and even view of hiking trails! Honestly, the only complaints come from the food (but they have a dunkin donuts here!) and some of the professors are rather strict. However, everyone on this campus wants you to succeed and wants you to be the best that you can.