Smith College Reviews

Great professors who are willing to take the extra step to help you succeed. Lots of paid opportunities to study abroad. The Praxis Fellowship helps all students get internships over the summer.
Smith has wonderful academics. I especially appreciate the dedicated professors, small classes, and open curriculum, which let you tailor your education to your needs and interests. The many student organizations and the housing system create a great sense of community among students.
Smith College has great academics, a strong sense of community, and a beautiful campus. It's a wonderful place to complete an undergraduate education.
Start Your Review of Smith College
So far, I love Smith! The academics are definitely the best part of the college experience here. The classes are really in-depth and unique. All of my professors thus far have been absolute experts in their fields, and it shows. It's thrilling to be able to work with the foremost thinkers in these subjects. I'm excited for all of my classes this semester. There are also a vast number of different clubs to join; there's something for everyone. It's a wonderful place.
I am an alum of Smith and am very grateful to have had the opportunity to attend.
While at Smith I studied technical theatre and had the ability to work closely with the many wonderful professors and staff in the theatre department to produce some really fantastic pieces of theatre.
Though I changed career paths following graduation as Smith does not have a nursing school and I was not feeling the draw of the theatre anymore, I feel that my Smith education set me up in the best way to continue my studies and acquire another degree. 4 years after graduating from Smith I landed my dream job, and almost 6 years out now I was able to return to Smith for my 5 year reunion and re-live some of the best pieces of my life up until this point.
I was a junior transfer and biochemistry major. Now I’m a chemistry graduate student at MIT. A lot of Smith alumnae end up at MIT thanks to the emphasis on research. I had mostly good teachers. The food ranged from wonderful to inedible depending on dining hall and time of day so you just had to know where to look. Dorms at Smith are spacious and cozy.
Like other schools, Smith has some issues it needs to deal with. They lack a mechanism to hold racist faculty and administrators accountable, and I was sad and angry to hear of many Black, Latin@ and Asian students being tokenized and stigmatized. I fought for the new admission policy that’s more inclusive of trans women but now we need to make the culture at Smith more welcoming to trans women and nonbinary people. I felt stigmatized and mistrusted by faculty and administrators due to my low income and disabilities. Alumnae actually have a lot of say in what changes happen at Smith because Smith relies a lot on alumnae donations!
I attended Hampshire College, but I took quite a few classes at Smith. I loved Smith because of it's location in Northampton, the classes I took there, while rigorous, were important to my concentration in Theater & Film at Hampshire, and I collaborated a lot with Smith students on theater projects. For example, my set designer for my Divsion II theater production at Hampshire was a Smithie. I liked Smith very much, and all the women I met there were liberal, progressive, highly intelligent and creative. Several actors that I cast for my final Division III theater production were Smithies, and I found the best auditions for my piece happened at Smith and UMass. This is entire point of the Five Colleges, creative collaboration. Smith excels.
Good academics but still a predominantly white institution. Still hasn't divested. Wait list to receive counseling services is a month long. Food could be better. Campus is gorgeous though and Smith gives you a lot of opportunities.
When I visited Smith I fell in love. Not only with the atmosphere but also with the people. Smith is lacking in diversity but they are making every effort to try to make sure every student feels represented on campus. When I got of the bus I saw several dorms which were hanging BLM banners and LGBTQ flags. I loved smith and I hope I get to attend in the fall.
I am a sophomore transfer student at Smith and I have loved my experience so far. The classes are wonderful and the professors are always helpful and caring. I feel challenged but not completely overwhelmed, even while competing as a student-athlete. The food here is good enough for dorm food. As long as you don't expect gourmet meals, you should be fine. Smith tries very hard to cater to vegan/vegetarians/allergies, but they could do more, especially for gluten allergies. Because I am so busy, I am not much of a partier, so it's a positive for me that Smith is not a party school. From what I have heard, the parties are very tame here, which is not for everyone!
Northampton is a cute little town that has just enough to keep me from being bored. The only downside is that the stores and restaurants are all quite expensive.
I am a first-year at Smith, and also an international student. And so far, I have loved the experience of living in such a safe space for everyone. I haven't had a single bad class, the professors are really engaged with your education (and, wow! they really do care about you). Diversity can always get better, but you can see that Smith is putting effort into making every voice be heard. The campus is beautiful, and there are a lot of spaces to study comfortably (even though the main library is under construction).
The party scene is lacking, but the academics and the professors are excellent. I have built great peer and professor relationships throughout my four years and they are all committed to helping you succeed.
I interviewed with Smith the summer before my senior year on campus and I immediately felt welcomed. I, like many, was initially apprehensive of the idea of going to an all women's college. However, once i got there, I hardly noticed the lack of males (though there still were some around). Once I left campus, I got a personal e-postcard from my interviewer thanking me for coming. Skip ahead to after I got accepted. Smith was unique from the other colleges I got into. For one, I got a handwritten postcard from a Smithie as well as emails from another Smithie, the Smith Orchestra Director, and the head of the local Smith alumni chapter. Furthermore, I was invited to fly to Massachusetts, free of charge, to go to their Open Weekend, in which I got to explore the campus, sit in on some classes, talk with professors personally, and actually live in the dorms with a host Smithie. It was then that I realized that I wanted to go to Smith and I feel glad of my decision.
Best thing I ever did was going to Smith . The network associated with the school has connected me for post grad work , fellowships, and ultimately Ivy League grad school .

The teachers blow your minds. The students teach you just as much as the teachers. The facilities are great. The class opportunities are phenomenal. Go to this school. You will not regret it.
I love the community here at Smith. Students are inviting, caring, and interesting. In addition to that, the courses offer intellectual stimulation and I love professors. Unfortunately, Smith is not good with financial aid. I am considering transferring because I cannot afford this semester as of right now.
Lots of individualized attention, beautiful campus. I've had some awesome professors here. We live in houses, not dorms, which in most houses creates a feeling of community and family. Most students here are intelligent, passionate about a variety of fields, kind, and empathetic. The open curriculum is awesome because you can pretty much take whatever you want as long as you do one writing class your first year and complete at least one major.
Start Your Review of Smith College
Like any school, Smith is not right for everyone, but it is perfect for so many women who come here. Smith's small size allows for people to run into their friends throughout the day, and for people to make connections across friend groups. The campus is beautiful, even in the freezing cold dead of winter, and the tropics room in the Botanic Gardens is always there if you need to take a quick vacation from classes. The professors are responsive and genuinely care about their students as people, as well as helping them succeed. The food is almost entirely locally-sourced and served by dining staff who make an effort to learn the students' names. Additionally, the self-governing house system ensures that students create families away from home. Rooms have character and history, and they are mostly singles, perfect for studying if none of the four libraries work for you. All in all, Smith is a truly wonderful place to spend four years.
Smith College is an academically intensive environment. The campus is beautiful, most professors are more than willing to help you, and there is a place for everyone.
Smith is a great school, exactly what I was looking for in a college. A lot of people here are kind of intense (take that as you will), but it's incredibly easy to find your kind of group, there's all different types of people here.