Smith College Reviews

I loved my time at Smith! The academics were engaging, the community was active, and the campus was beautiful. I will miss my Smithies.
By the end of sophomore year I knew I had to transfer out or go on a junior year abroad program and get off campus for a year. I could not see myself staying in the "female bubble" a third year in a row; I needed exposure to more global and realistic life experiences. The emphasis on women's rights was just too much - living that 24/7 soured the college experience. After graduation I found there really was a stigma attached to Smith College regarding its position on gays. In some social situations it was almost uncomfortable telling people I went to Smith. Now that I have a few years to look back on this, I definitely would have selected a different school. There are many colleges that offer strong academics and a more balanced life experience. I am also tired of the manipulation to donate and then donate more when my feelings about Smith are neutral at best.
I've enjoyed my experience at Smith College so far! I've been able to make some great friends and the academics are rigorous, yet rewarding.
Start Your Review of Smith College
Overall very good. Great professors, facilities and students. Also enjoyed activities and traditions of the school.
Good academics, bad party scene. People are pretty intense about studying. The dorms are nice, but the food could be better.
Smith College was my launching pad into the world. Smith College gave me an education that expanded beyond the world of academia. My professors and peers educated me on the sociology of culture, business, and migration. I learned the French language and history through literature, the news, and practice as well as a year long exchange program in Paris, France. I engaged in international relations by means of endless readings, case studies, and mock policy memos. However, it was not until I experienced these disciplines by studying and working in France and Morocco that the concepts, which the pages of books previously held for me, became tangible. I developed a taste for multicultural environments and opportunities for problem solving through collaboration all due to my Smith College education.
Great professors who are willing to take the extra step to help you succeed. Lots of paid opportunities to study abroad. The Praxis Fellowship helps all students get internships over the summer.
Smith has wonderful academics. I especially appreciate the dedicated professors, small classes, and open curriculum, which let you tailor your education to your needs and interests. The many student organizations and the housing system create a great sense of community among students.
Smith College has great academics, a strong sense of community, and a beautiful campus. It's a wonderful place to complete an undergraduate education.
So far, I love Smith! The academics are definitely the best part of the college experience here. The classes are really in-depth and unique. All of my professors thus far have been absolute experts in their fields, and it shows. It's thrilling to be able to work with the foremost thinkers in these subjects. I'm excited for all of my classes this semester. There are also a vast number of different clubs to join; there's something for everyone. It's a wonderful place.
I am an alum of Smith and am very grateful to have had the opportunity to attend.
While at Smith I studied technical theatre and had the ability to work closely with the many wonderful professors and staff in the theatre department to produce some really fantastic pieces of theatre.
Though I changed career paths following graduation as Smith does not have a nursing school and I was not feeling the draw of the theatre anymore, I feel that my Smith education set me up in the best way to continue my studies and acquire another degree. 4 years after graduating from Smith I landed my dream job, and almost 6 years out now I was able to return to Smith for my 5 year reunion and re-live some of the best pieces of my life up until this point.
I was a junior transfer and biochemistry major. Now I’m a chemistry graduate student at MIT. A lot of Smith alumnae end up at MIT thanks to the emphasis on research. I had mostly good teachers. The food ranged from wonderful to inedible depending on dining hall and time of day so you just had to know where to look. Dorms at Smith are spacious and cozy.
Like other schools, Smith has some issues it needs to deal with. They lack a mechanism to hold racist faculty and administrators accountable, and I was sad and angry to hear of many Black, Latin@ and Asian students being tokenized and stigmatized. I fought for the new admission policy that’s more inclusive of trans women but now we need to make the culture at Smith more welcoming to trans women and nonbinary people. I felt stigmatized and mistrusted by faculty and administrators due to my low income and disabilities. Alumnae actually have a lot of say in what changes happen at Smith because Smith relies a lot on alumnae donations!
Good academics but still a predominantly white institution. Still hasn't divested. Wait list to receive counseling services is a month long. Food could be better. Campus is gorgeous though and Smith gives you a lot of opportunities.
When I visited Smith I fell in love. Not only with the atmosphere but also with the people. Smith is lacking in diversity but they are making every effort to try to make sure every student feels represented on campus. When I got of the bus I saw several dorms which were hanging BLM banners and LGBTQ flags. I loved smith and I hope I get to attend in the fall.
I am a sophomore transfer student at Smith and I have loved my experience so far. The classes are wonderful and the professors are always helpful and caring. I feel challenged but not completely overwhelmed, even while competing as a student-athlete. The food here is good enough for dorm food. As long as you don't expect gourmet meals, you should be fine. Smith tries very hard to cater to vegan/vegetarians/allergies, but they could do more, especially for gluten allergies. Because I am so busy, I am not much of a partier, so it's a positive for me that Smith is not a party school. From what I have heard, the parties are very tame here, which is not for everyone!
Northampton is a cute little town that has just enough to keep me from being bored. The only downside is that the stores and restaurants are all quite expensive.
I am a first-year at Smith, and also an international student. And so far, I have loved the experience of living in such a safe space for everyone. I haven't had a single bad class, the professors are really engaged with your education (and, wow! they really do care about you). Diversity can always get better, but you can see that Smith is putting effort into making every voice be heard. The campus is beautiful, and there are a lot of spaces to study comfortably (even though the main library is under construction).
The party scene is lacking, but the academics and the professors are excellent. I have built great peer and professor relationships throughout my four years and they are all committed to helping you succeed.
Start Your Review of Smith College
I interviewed with Smith the summer before my senior year on campus and I immediately felt welcomed. I, like many, was initially apprehensive of the idea of going to an all women's college. However, once i got there, I hardly noticed the lack of males (though there still were some around). Once I left campus, I got a personal e-postcard from my interviewer thanking me for coming. Skip ahead to after I got accepted. Smith was unique from the other colleges I got into. For one, I got a handwritten postcard from a Smithie as well as emails from another Smithie, the Smith Orchestra Director, and the head of the local Smith alumni chapter. Furthermore, I was invited to fly to Massachusetts, free of charge, to go to their Open Weekend, in which I got to explore the campus, sit in on some classes, talk with professors personally, and actually live in the dorms with a host Smithie. It was then that I realized that I wanted to go to Smith and I feel glad of my decision.
Best thing I ever did was going to Smith . The network associated with the school has connected me for post grad work , fellowships, and ultimately Ivy League grad school .
Amazing!!!

The teachers blow your minds. The students teach you just as much as the teachers. The facilities are great. The class opportunities are phenomenal. Go to this school. You will not regret it.