Smith College Reviews

I love the community here at Smith. Students are inviting, caring, and interesting. In addition to that, the courses offer intellectual stimulation and I love professors. Unfortunately, Smith is not good with financial aid. I am considering transferring because I cannot afford this semester as of right now.
Lots of individualized attention, beautiful campus. I've had some awesome professors here. We live in houses, not dorms, which in most houses creates a feeling of community and family. Most students here are intelligent, passionate about a variety of fields, kind, and empathetic. The open curriculum is awesome because you can pretty much take whatever you want as long as you do one writing class your first year and complete at least one major.
Like any school, Smith is not right for everyone, but it is perfect for so many women who come here. Smith's small size allows for people to run into their friends throughout the day, and for people to make connections across friend groups. The campus is beautiful, even in the freezing cold dead of winter, and the tropics room in the Botanic Gardens is always there if you need to take a quick vacation from classes. The professors are responsive and genuinely care about their students as people, as well as helping them succeed. The food is almost entirely locally-sourced and served by dining staff who make an effort to learn the students' names. Additionally, the self-governing house system ensures that students create families away from home. Rooms have character and history, and they are mostly singles, perfect for studying if none of the four libraries work for you. All in all, Smith is a truly wonderful place to spend four years.
Review Your College
Smith College is an academically intensive environment. The campus is beautiful, most professors are more than willing to help you, and there is a place for everyone.
Smith is a great school, exactly what I was looking for in a college. A lot of people here are kind of intense (take that as you will), but it's incredibly easy to find your kind of group, there's all different types of people here.
Smith is fantastic. The teachers are experts, and you can learn a lot from them, though some can be a bit more difficult to understand than others. There are so many fun traditions like Friday Tea and Mountain Day that make the experience so much better! The students here tend to be very dedicated to school and driven to succeed.
The housing system here is very unique to Smith. You may love it or hate it. The social community, room styles and sizes, and amenities are different from house to house. So depending on where you live, your experience with these things can vary drastically. Some students will have singles their very first year, while others may have to wait until they are juniors or seniors before they can get one. Some houses have dining halls, others do not. Some houses have 100 or more students, others have fewer than 40. At the end of each year, you can choose to switch houses or stay in your current house.
  • 6 months ago
  • Housing
Smith's beautiful campus is the perfect backdrop to a rigorous education for inquisitive minds. I think the one thing that all Smithies take away from college is the ability to think critically, which, in my opinion, is an incredibly valuable skill. Negatives include: stingy when it comes to student life (i.e. reducing chaplains, upkeep of some of the houses, declining food quality) and an ongoing struggle to support students who aren't cis, hetero, white, middle class and able-bodied.
I like most professors, I'm interested in their courses, they teach well
i haven't used career services, alumni network is tight-knit and helpful, internship prospects are solid i think
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
I haven't had to engage with it luckily so I guess it's pretty safe
Love my house and house community, I live in a medical single
I'm on the rugby team, we work our butts off but we're a club sport, school spirit is very minimal, we don't get priority for field space so we have to practice on horse fields for out offseason
I like the community and academics here
I haven't researched as much about career prospects after Smith. I am not worried about getting a job after college.
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
One of the reasons I'm happy to be at Smith are the courses and my professors. I have been challenged and encouraged to do well in all of my classes. Class sizes tend to be small, and if they're not, professors make all their effort to hold office hours and one-to-one meetings with students. Sometimes I wish we had more course offerings, but I admittedly do not have enough space in my schedule to take the classes that I am interested in.
Health services will give you an appointment if you need it. They close during breaks which is annoying if you stay on campus.
Review Your College
Love campus housing! Houses are beautiful.
Students aren't as interested in athletics at Smith. The campus gym facilities are quite nice.
Smith College is a great place to go to school if you're interested in learning. It's also wonderful if you are a woman who wants good leadership opportunities. As a Smith student, I have had the privilege of being a teaching assistant, leading a club and mentoring younger students. I've also had access to multiple research opportunities, both at college and during the summer.