Smith College Reviews

Smith is a great college and like any college, it has its problems. Classes can get difficult but by talking to professors, you can get help and fix your issues. Food is alright. Party scene is... okay. I think the best thing about Smith is the alumnae connections and opportunities to study abroad or in a new place.
This school has a lot to work to do, but overall I’m very happy to be here. The campus is beautiful and has all the resources you need, the people here are accepting and friendly. It’s always very busy and academia is very stressful, but it’s worth it. You get your money’s worth here.
I'm a woman of color who attended Smith on grant money because my parents were poor. The faculty is excellent. Smith provides a lot of financial aid. The campus is beautiful. The thing that I hated the most about Smith were the students. For some strange reason, most were militant, angry, and extremely opposed to any ideas outside the progressive umbrella. I'm a moderate Democrat, and I thought that most women at Smith had zero original thought, they mostly parroted others. Conservatives: keep your mouth shut, because if you dare to express your opinions, you will be shouted down. When not talking politics, these women only talked about themselves. My classmates were self-centered, entitled, and extremely close-minded.
Start Your Review of Smith College
I really appreciate the Smith community. I feel able to strike up a conversation with anyone, whether I know them or not. The campus is gorgeous, and there’s lots to do in the area. I’ve had professors that range from pretty good to amazing. As for an area of improvement, health services and counseling is severely understaffed, which is quite frustrating.
Smith College is an academically challenging yet supportive environment. I had really interesting classes right from the beginning, and I've found that there are few classes I will be taking simply to fulfill a requirement.
I loved my time at Smith! The academics were engaging, the community was active, and the campus was beautiful. I will miss my Smithies.
By the end of sophomore year I knew I had to transfer out or go on a junior year abroad program and get off campus for a year. I could not see myself staying in the "female bubble" a third year in a row; I needed exposure to more global and realistic life experiences. The emphasis on women's rights was just too much - living that 24/7 soured the college experience. After graduation I found there really was a stigma attached to Smith College regarding its position on gays. In some social situations it was almost uncomfortable telling people I went to Smith. Now that I have a few years to look back on this, I definitely would have selected a different school. There are many colleges that offer strong academics and a more balanced life experience. I am also tired of the manipulation to donate and then donate more when my feelings about Smith are neutral at best.
I've enjoyed my experience at Smith College so far! I've been able to make some great friends and the academics are rigorous, yet rewarding.
Overall very good. Great professors, facilities and students. Also enjoyed activities and traditions of the school.
Good academics, bad party scene. People are pretty intense about studying. The dorms are nice, but the food could be better.
Smith College was my launching pad into the world. Smith College gave me an education that expanded beyond the world of academia. My professors and peers educated me on the sociology of culture, business, and migration. I learned the French language and history through literature, the news, and practice as well as a year long exchange program in Paris, France. I engaged in international relations by means of endless readings, case studies, and mock policy memos. However, it was not until I experienced these disciplines by studying and working in France and Morocco that the concepts, which the pages of books previously held for me, became tangible. I developed a taste for multicultural environments and opportunities for problem solving through collaboration all due to my Smith College education.
Great professors who are willing to take the extra step to help you succeed. Lots of paid opportunities to study abroad. The Praxis Fellowship helps all students get internships over the summer.
Smith has wonderful academics. I especially appreciate the dedicated professors, small classes, and open curriculum, which let you tailor your education to your needs and interests. The many student organizations and the housing system create a great sense of community among students.
Smith College has great academics, a strong sense of community, and a beautiful campus. It's a wonderful place to complete an undergraduate education.
So far, I love Smith! The academics are definitely the best part of the college experience here. The classes are really in-depth and unique. All of my professors thus far have been absolute experts in their fields, and it shows. It's thrilling to be able to work with the foremost thinkers in these subjects. I'm excited for all of my classes this semester. There are also a vast number of different clubs to join; there's something for everyone. It's a wonderful place.
I am an alum of Smith and am very grateful to have had the opportunity to attend.
While at Smith I studied technical theatre and had the ability to work closely with the many wonderful professors and staff in the theatre department to produce some really fantastic pieces of theatre.
Though I changed career paths following graduation as Smith does not have a nursing school and I was not feeling the draw of the theatre anymore, I feel that my Smith education set me up in the best way to continue my studies and acquire another degree. 4 years after graduating from Smith I landed my dream job, and almost 6 years out now I was able to return to Smith for my 5 year reunion and re-live some of the best pieces of my life up until this point.
I was a junior transfer and biochemistry major. Now I’m a chemistry graduate student at MIT. A lot of Smith alumnae end up at MIT thanks to the emphasis on research. I had mostly good teachers. The food ranged from wonderful to inedible depending on dining hall and time of day so you just had to know where to look. Dorms at Smith are spacious and cozy.
Like other schools, Smith has some issues it needs to deal with. They lack a mechanism to hold racist faculty and administrators accountable, and I was sad and angry to hear of many Black, Latin@ and Asian students being tokenized and stigmatized. I fought for the new admission policy that’s more inclusive of trans women but now we need to make the culture at Smith more welcoming to trans women and nonbinary people. I felt stigmatized and mistrusted by faculty and administrators due to my low income and disabilities. Alumnae actually have a lot of say in what changes happen at Smith because Smith relies a lot on alumnae donations!
Start Your Review of Smith College
Good academics but still a predominantly white institution. Still hasn't divested. Wait list to receive counseling services is a month long. Food could be better. Campus is gorgeous though and Smith gives you a lot of opportunities.
When I visited Smith I fell in love. Not only with the atmosphere but also with the people. Smith is lacking in diversity but they are making every effort to try to make sure every student feels represented on campus. When I got of the bus I saw several dorms which were hanging BLM banners and LGBTQ flags. I loved smith and I hope I get to attend in the fall.
I am a sophomore transfer student at Smith and I have loved my experience so far. The classes are wonderful and the professors are always helpful and caring. I feel challenged but not completely overwhelmed, even while competing as a student-athlete. The food here is good enough for dorm food. As long as you don't expect gourmet meals, you should be fine. Smith tries very hard to cater to vegan/vegetarians/allergies, but they could do more, especially for gluten allergies. Because I am so busy, I am not much of a partier, so it's a positive for me that Smith is not a party school. From what I have heard, the parties are very tame here, which is not for everyone!
Northampton is a cute little town that has just enough to keep me from being bored. The only downside is that the stores and restaurants are all quite expensive.