1. Saratoga Springs, NY
  2. 4 Year

Skidmore College Reviews

Skidmore College is a small liberal arts institution in upstate New York. My experience thus far in my collegiate career has been optimistic and promising. The professors I have had so far have been a few of the best I have ever had the opportunity to engage in conversation with. All in different subject matters and all with different teaching approaches, each of these professors have had a mind that goes beyond the typical academic teacher. They inspired me to challenge myself beyond what I thought was capable and they are a large part of why my experience at Skidmore College has been positive. The friends I have made here have easily become some of the most interesting, kind and genuine people I have had the opportunity to meet. The social life at Skidmore is by no means equivalent to a large university, but it is very much so alive and exciting. I have loved my experience at Skidmore College.
Very positive experience so far as a first year student at skidmore. Students are super nice no matter what they do/whether they are upperclassmen or not. Campus food is definitely a PLUS. Dorms are nice if you live in certain buildings(north quad and wiecking). professors are the BEST!
I am currently a senior in high school who was given the opportunity to do a pre-college program at Skidmore over the summer. I absolutely loved it because the professors are amazing and truly know how to connect with their students at ease. I took a writing and sociology course in which I did hands on observations with my professors outside of the college for my classes. The academics are astonishing; the liberal arts setting lets you choose majors and minors to your liking. The college tries to also diversify the food served such as dishes from India or Peru. They appreciate culture. The student's are very active in their community when it comes to putting on shows and showing school spirit. I had recently gotten accepted to Skidmore, and I am joyful for the acceptance to its community.
The student body is very friendly; however, the dorms are terrible (spec. South Quad), and there are only two types of people: the artsy, VERY quirky type, and the arrogant jocks who clearly think they're above everyone else. The professors I've had have been great, but many students are not engaged and don't care to participate, which has been really disappointing. If you want night life and are under 21, you NEED a fake. Otherwise, when everyone goes "downtown" to the clubs you're heading back to Spa or your room. The Student Government is impossible to work with if you want to start a new club, and it is nearly impossible if you want to obtain a room change if you're having roommate issues. I can see how Skidmore could work for other kids looking for a less-selective, less-demanding liberal arts school, but I've just found it to be a suffocatingly small school in the middle of nowhere, inhabited by potheads and jocks who think they're the gods of campus.
Though the academia at Skidmore is wonderful, the college is almost unbearable for POC, women and other minorities. When visiting the school I found many of the students (particularly the men) overly entitled. "there are 2 types of men on campus" a Skidmore female student told me. "Nerds and jocks". I could see this clearly, for the groups of male students were very segregated from each other. The female student also said that "the blue side of the cafeteria is where all the jocks sit. We don't like to go over there". During my entire visit I felt as though I was being transported back to my high school, where there are many cliques and the athletic boys assert dominance over all other students. It was confusing to me that most skidmore students are very liberal because it was one of the most privileged and sheltered schools I have ever seen.
Everyone is really relaxed and nice. Professors are always available and there are plenty of academic resources. Food wise there are a lot of options if you don't like what's being served that day. There are a lot of parties off campus or in the apartments you can usually just ask around and you'll find one.
People drink. People do drugs (mostly pot). It happens, pretty much exclusively on the weekends, and it's not a big deal. It's not super noticeable, especially if you're not looking for it.

It's a campus full of 18-22 year olds - debauchery occurs but it is pretty much never out of hand and the party scene is mostly low key, especially compared to larger schools.Campus safety is much more concerned with safety than busting people.
Campus housing is definitely above average though it depends on your year. Freshman/Sophomore years students are typically housed in the dorms which vary pretty wildly in quality. South quad dorms (McClellan, Wilmarth, Penfield, Kimball) are not great (though they did fix them up a little bit a year or two ago). North quad dorms, especially Howe-Rounds and Wait, are nicer.

The on-campus apartments, mostly inhabited by Juniors and Seniors, are a massive step above the dorms. Their only downside is the cost which is borderline unacceptable considering the relatively low cost of renting property off-campus (Saratoga is a summer town so renting during the school year can prove a budget-friendly choice).
Skidmore is an excellent school that provides an excellent education. Professors are incredibly accessible and the vast majority genuinely care about cultivating interest in their subject. Classes tend to be on the smaller side with a more participatory atmosphere. Some departments are stronger than others and the administration is sometimes slightly resistant to addressing the needs of certain departments, especially those that are growing in popularity.

Lots of good people who all really care about the school and other students. The campus is lovely, facilities are great, and Saratoga Springs is a great college town.
I've heard that the alumni network is really amazing. After you graduate, the school doesn't congratulate you about graduating, they congratulate you for becoming a part of the alum network.
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
Skidmore is a good school with a lot of bad bureaucracy and a weird environment. I would describe the student body as apathetic and cliquey. There is so much racial segregation it almost feels like the 50's and I think the school really needs to deal with that. Great, great art facilities and a lot of fun stuff going on, but not the right school for me.
As a woman, I always felt super safe, as I come from a small town and never really feared walking alone, but many of my female friends didn't want to walk home alone from the library at night. There has been a fair amount of sexual assaults and crimes, the school usually just puts up yellow flyers saying exactly what happened everywhere. That just makes me, at least, feel weirder about it.
Some dorms (like doubles in Wiecking Hall) are amazing. Most, though, (triples everywhere else, unless you get a special one) are smaller than the reviews say, and frankly, Skidmore really does need to build a new dorm. This year they over-enrolled, and had to offer an incentive to students to move off campus. When that didn't work, they built new dorms in dorm common rooms, which is a huge shame, because that was where my floor really came together and made friends. Every dorm has a window seat, which is cool, but doesn't really help when you are your two roommates are having problems. People mysteriously pee in the Jonnson Tower elevators, and the stairs are pretty dirty. I loved my RA and made good friends on my floor, but the dorms are depressing and small. Great access to classrooms, but that just due to the small size of the campus. Apartments are AMAZING, but super hard to get now. Off campus options are really good too--low rent and close to campus. I don't know why more people don't take advantage of that.
  • 8 months ago
  • Housing
Nobody cares about sports at Skidmore, but they sure do seem to matter when it comes to where you sit in the dining hall.
Skidmore is a complicated beast. It's a small school, which can be really great at times, if you like constantly bumping into people you know, and really awful when you're trying to avoid someone. Everyone will know you really quickly if you are social enough, and after only a year I really felt like a part of the community. This however, I found really limiting. I was quickly stereotyped by friends and cohorts alike, and I immediately felt like I would never be able to find new friends or find anything that would challenge me. The professors are mixed. I had one professor who appeared like she had never taught a class in her life, teaching from slides that had nothing but text that she read off of, and three different teachers grading the three lab reports that the class was graded on. Other professors were animated and incredibly interesting. Most, truly, were "good" professors, and I found it very easy, being an outspoken student, to form relationships and be seen in class. The party scene is composed mostly of apartment parties, and it can be really loud on the weekends. I always felt like if I wasn't partying, I was missing out, and I hated feeling that way. Social pressures are very prevalent, from things as mundane as being convinced to go for a walk instead of studying, or swapping studying for going out. It is also really easy to go overboard with drugs, as kids smoke all the time, and drinking is prevalent at parties. The music scene is absolutely great, unless you're a singer. The music program has only two vocal teachers, one of whom is universally hated by her students. Endless opportunities for jam sessions and music projects. The Falstaff's club is great, and there are concerts every weekend. I will not be returning next fall. I felt very suffocated by the way I was stereotyped and the small-ness of the campus. I need something bigger, but for the right student, Skidmore is a great little college where you can stand out among the crowd.
There is no greek life so I cannot say much about it.
They are available but not everyone takes advantage of the sports offered. Not many attend either.
Friendly people, and professors are always willing to help. Especially since it is a small class size
Though Skidmore has a Title IX action against it currently, I feel the campus is working hard to improve support systems and preventing future assault. I am a woman and I feel very safe on campus (though I do not party, so I am not around alcohol or out late at night).
The Career Center can be helpful, though last time I went it was not as helpful. It is very easy to get internships in your field however.
  • 10 months ago