Simmons College Reviews

Simmons is NOT a great school I repeat NOT a great school. Unless you want to do nursing do not come here. Their physics department consists of only two professors and I did not get anything out of their physics 1 and 2 class. The classes were not calculus base and did not prepare me for anything for higher up classes when I transferred. All the chemistry, biology, math, and physics classes level of hardness were well below other schools. You will be behind others when you graduate, especially if you plan to go to graduate school. They're not wealthy enough to hire full-time professor so you get adjuncts who can't teach at all. Simmons College is basically a fraud who takes your money and give it to the nursing or PT department. This school is honestly a scam to be honest. They're accepting more and more students every year because they know a lot of their students will transfer out after a semester or two.
The class sizes are not massive so students have an opportunity to get to know their professors. The campus is small but has plenty of room for you spread out.
Professors are good, especially nursing program. Resident life, counseling services and staff in general are no help. Social life is weird and cliquey - either preppy girls or super introverts. No party scene whatsoever. Amazing location but nowhere to go if under 21. Parking is extremely inconvenient. Dorms are subpar and over crowded. Strict rules on drinking and smoke free campus.
Start Your Review of Simmons College
The staff are really hit or miss. Bartol staff is great but reslife is horrible. I would strongly advise against applying/attending.
The school is really small which means you get to know a lot of other students that attend as well as the professors that teach there. Often times you have the same professor more than once which really sets you up to know the expectations of the professor and therefore perform better in that class. The alums at Simmons are also incredible resources to all students that attend. All different majors have networking dinners each year where they bring in alums because the alums are notorious for helping current students get jobs and internships. Simmons has also created great relationships with many different businesses around Boston such as Brown Brothers Harriman that make a Simmons student more likely to get jobs there upon graduation. Overall, Simmons helps you obtain many incredible opportunities for internships and jobs.
There is only one multicultural room. I declared Computer Science I was disappointed at the lack of sections offered for my cs classes and the mostly male faculty for the computer science department. Sometimes they don't offer certain languages for a certain academic year so you either have to cross register at Wentworth or take community college classes in the Summer.
The college is very hierarchical, disconnected in regards to forms and policies feels like I'm at a huge university. The required curriculum PLAN with KCAs is a joke and eats up a 1/4 of our schedule every semester instead of taking relevant courses to your major or actually getting transferable credits. My advisory mislead me saying that my first year Boston Course would count as literature but when I transferred it counted for nothing!!
My PLAN courses did not transfer to my other institution and this is the case with many other people who transfer.
Simmons is a good school for any health-related field. not very diverse (60% are girls from Maine going to their parents' on the weekend). Not a party school. The area is nice though, so if you are looking to get experience at the hospitals/research centers, it might be a good choice. Food sucks, but you will get used to it.
Simmons is my dream school. Dedicated professors content with their jobs, a comfortable living situation, a beautiful campus, variety in curriculum and a strong program in my major. I couldn't be happier with this school, save for the high cost of tuition.
If you had asked me if I saw myself at a women's college a year ago I would have never said yes. Today I feel so comfortable at Simmons, and can honestly not imagine being in an environment that is not women's centered. While the comfort of the students is definitley one of Simmons' strengths, it is also a big weakness. I associate guys primarily with social circumstances, and feel as though if I were to be put in a work place at the moment, It would hold me back and change the way I work.
I find that there is a lot of tension between different groups within the college. There are definitley not cliques, but you can see a divide between demographics. I would never consider myself misogynist but Without the presence of the male gender many people judge us from other schools. It's definitley a different experience than one of a co-ed school.
There are lots of strengths and weaknesses of going to a women's college, I feel as though the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
Simmons is located in the Fenway area of Boston. It has top notch professors who are always there to help. There are lots of athletic teams to get involved with. Alumni is very involved with networking for jobs and internships. The campus is beautiful. The dorms are basic and food isn't the greatest but the location, academics and athletics make up for it.
Simmons is an women's center college located in Boston! The community in Simmons is different compared to a co-ed higher learning institution! PLAN is alright, I thought the Simmons Explore part of PLAN was a waste of time, but the Boston Course is amazing. However some might have different views on the Boston Course. I really like the Boston Course because the class easily introduce me to the city with the few field trips we have. Which was very helpful for me, not being from Massachusetts.
There is a lot to do and participate in and the classes are not that overwhelming.
The students are very accepting for the most part! Republicans are a minority though so be watch out!
Not much of a party scene within the campus, but you can attend parties at other colleges if you know the right people. We also have Machine nearby with +18 nights on Fridays.
However, I feel that Simmons needs room for improvement which is why I give 4 stars.
Simmons is a fantastic learning environment with professors that truly care about the students. Although some see the all-women environment as odd, it is really a great place to learn.
The location of Simmons College couldn't be better! At first i was hesitant to go to a women's centered school, but after completing my first semester, i absolutely love the school and know it was the right choice for me. The classes aren't unbearably difficult, and I've made some really great friends. Biggest recommendation- tour the school, do an interview before applying, and go to office hours/tutoring once you're in college. Wonderful school- I am very happy
Simmons is one of the most welcoming and empowering universities out there. The location is perfect for thriving minds with world renown medical facilities all around the area. The Nursing and PT programs are hard to apply into, but once in, the hard work pays off.
Our programs are great, the academic campus is great, and the residence campus isn't great but it's fine. But, the PLAN general requirements are ruining my college experience and wasting my time. I feel like my money is going down the toilet.
I like the homie feel, and split campus with a 5 minute walk from res to academic. It's nice separation. It is a very open atmosphere and many voices are heard.
Simmons college is a really enjoyable and interesting when you are talking about academics and the professors. The small school feel makes it able for everyone to focus on their studies and find others around you. The only thing that is pretty challenging is the social aspect. There are no parties on campus and the girls tend to more focused on their career goals which is a great thing but also might feel isolating at times. My best advice is to join clubs and talk to peers in your classes to form bonds.
Start Your Review of Simmons College
I like the residence campus, because it is surrounded by the dorm halls and has grass and trees so it feels separate from Boston. The dorm rooms are your typical tiny college dorms with concrete walls and tile floor. The classes are manageable if you have the time to study beyond the classroom.
Teachers don't seem like they know what they are doing. I am not paying $56k per year to have crappy teachers.
Simmons has a great reputation and a lot of connections in getting you a job.