Silver Lake College of the Holy Family Reviews

Overall, good place. Campus is very small and everyone knows everyone. You will most likely see a lot of the same people in your classes, even if they don't share your major. Professors are very nice and willing to work students. Not much of a party scene but I am not interested in that.
Silver Lake College is a very close college where you can be close with people you don't know about. They have very great opportunities which can help you a lot during college.
Being the first one in the family has been a very challenging situation for me. However, dedication and passion about getting and receiving a good education is what motivates me the most. My experience with meeting other people has been also wonderful. As time passed we had become not just friends but more like a family. In campus there are also activities going on almost everyday which its always something good. Teachers organize movie nights, talent shows, bowling, and much more. Silver Lake College is a small campus, it was what I was looking for. I was looking for a small college because professors sit with you one on one and there are more opportunities for them to help you and that's what Silver Lake professors do. Within the college there are also sports and other school activities. I have recently joined the cheer team and I really enjoy participating. So Far Silver Lake College has been a great experience for me.
Review Your College
Different departments vary wildly-- if you want to study nursing, music, theology, or education, this is a good place to be. Art, maybe not.
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
The other students are messy, and are making constant noise well into the night. There's something of a culture clash between the people who live around here and the people who come from inner city Milwaukee and Chicago.
Silver Lake has the resources to learn if you're willing to put in the effort to use them. The grading curve tends to be steep, which is offset by the low standards for what kind of work can get you an "A" in some classes-- it's more important to do something than it is to create something of high quality. The culture here seems to value positivity more than the ability to constructively criticize peers, which I think is highly detrimental to the learning process.

The library is excellent-- if they don't have something, they can typically find it for you through an inter-library loan. They were able to find an extremely rare and obscure piece of literature for me that I had given up looking for elsewhere, and have an extensive selection of periodicals.

Very small class sizes in many cases, to the point that a class may cease to be offered because too few people signed up for it.
I mean they have one security guard and everyone trust each other.
The professors are great at making sure you work is done and keeping track of you attendance. The course are okay they could expand more with better classes.
I really don't know. This school lose me at times.
  • Jan 22 2016
  • Value
Living on campus is very depressing, its depressing because there is (literally) nothing to do. You have a little people to talk to, the dorms are really small, no social activities going on, they charge you to do everything when it cost 9,000 just to live here.
We don't have anything like that one are campus.
I really don't get involved in sports and so I don't have much to say.
My overall all experience at Sliver Lake College haven't been the worst or the best. I could say( as a person) I have grown a lot. I made mistakes that I will not make anymore, such as: waking up late for class, not studying, and not taking school serious.I don't have a favorite experience but I did get to go zip lining. What makes my school unique (in a way) is that they care about me being successful after I get my Bachelors. My professors also take extra steps that they don't have to take. For an example, they stay passed there office hours to help me with work or even other professors work. They also make sure I stay on task and on the mission to success, which I like. Even though, my professors are good at what they do, I will not choose Silver Lake College again as my college. Just because I want more out of college then just an education. I want an experience of a life time or something close to it and SLC can't offer that to me.
Housekeeping could work around students hours when cleaning the bathroom.
Basketball plays a huge roll on campus my school take pride in our team.
Classrooms are easy to mange and easy to follow the teachers lesson. Silver Lake College make it to were all students are focused on their career and long term goals . One unique thing about Silver Lake College is that students are allowed another chance.
Back in 2010, this school was amazing. The professors were helpful, the campus was stable and the students and faculty were happy. Then along the way, someone decided the campus was too introverted and wanted to bring in some personality... the end result were title ix violations, drug issues, a lower graduation and a disgruntled student body. Furthermore, while many departments, including the two my majors were based in, improved drastically, several departments that the school was known for- primarily their music, dwindled. This dwindling was caused by a mixture of these three things:

-the students considering themselves a 'family', who formed a skewed view on music

-professors showing a lack of professionalism- be it through constant fighting, the refusal to teach certain subjects either because a certain student requested it or because that professor did not care about the subject

-the music building, which was delayed, only half the size that it was suppose to be and built cheaply resulting in a lot of repairs within the first few years.

Also, the school brought in Sodexo to help with the school, but that has only created more issues. Many of the staff, who used to be some of the funnest people to talk to are visibly miserable and it's not surprising to see why as some of the student workers were being treated the same.

In terms of paperwork, administration events and so forth, learn to be persistent. A lot of people cut corners and forget to fill their obligations, so simple tasks can take awhile. Furthermore, 'bread and butter' events are incredibly common. The dean of students, Vicki Ansorge has proven herself incapable of criticisms and has done things, that could be considered hostile by some, to students who've called either her or the school out. She has been accused of telling students that it isn't their place to question the school, even though they're investing $22k a year!
Review Your College
When I first got to Silver Lake I was nervous about being away from home even though it's only an hour away from where I live. My experience has actually turned out well. I met a lot of new people while going to school there. My school isn't a school many people have heard of before and that's what makes it unique. It's not a big school and the classes usually have about 30 people. If I had the choice to go to a different school I wouldn't take it. Choosing Silver Lake is the best decision I've made.
Overall, this place is horrible
bad school for social life
  • Mar 10 2015